PDA

View Full Version : Wanted, Volvo LH, short hub Ultra SS prop 22-24p

Lenny
09-27-2004, 12:35 PM
I am looking for a LH Ultra SS prop for my 280.

Edited to relate to the fact that they were all LONG HUB. now I know :)

David O
09-27-2004, 05:26 PM
Lenny
Don't be in to big a hurry to spend your money on an ultra.
I have tested two of the Solas props Big Griz has for testing on my 290 17 spline and am really impressed with them. He is working on getting some of them so hang in there and lets see what he can get worked out with Solas.
I don't remember the numbers exactly but I do remember crusing at 50 mph gps @ 4600 rpm with a 1.89 ratio drive. I think I topped out at 54.4 @ 5000rpm using the 23 inch pitch prop.
Using the prop calculator that computes to a.056% slip for the prop.
If I can find a 1.61 ratio drive and increase my horse power to turn the 23 at 5000 I will have a top speed of 63.9 mph.
I don't have a clue what kind of numbers the guys are getting that are running ultras but I doubt if any better that they could be much better.
David O
X-18 chev 350

Lenny
09-27-2004, 05:39 PM
I am very interested. Thanx, 350 and a 1:61 drive.

mattyboy
09-28-2004, 11:21 AM
David,
using your numbers i show your theorectical speed slower than your actual so no slip but grip???? ;) but my math is always a lil off

we tested a volvo ultra 24 on the 20 cig
300 hp 350 sbc volvo 270 1.61:1
gps 58 mph @ 5500 rpms

waiting for good weather the test the 22 ultra on my 300 hp 351 sbf volvo 250 16

David how did the boat handle?? the ultra seems to be well behaved on many different hulls, and gives the non trimable volvo drive the bow lift that they need, interested in the sola might be another alternative
does it have the same effect??

David O
09-28-2004, 11:57 AM
Matty
I have trim on my boat so I was able to try the props in many positions. The props handled well in all positions but much better trimed up high and were faster.
I noticed with all rpm changes that trim changes were needed to get the most out of the props.
I felt like all positions gave the boat more bow lift but if not trimmed to its sweet spot you would have some helm to deal with. The amount of helm I was feeling when not trimmed properly could probably be offset by adjusting the steering trim fin on the foot if one does not have the ability to trim up. I had the trim fin set straight and when trimmed properly I could steer the boat with my finger.
I did notice every time I drove the boat I was able to tweak more speed out it. Randy said learning to drive and trim the boat correctly will be good for 3 to 5 more MPH. In just the one day that I tested the 23 I was able to go from 51 something to 54 something.
I have never used an ultra so I can't make a comparison. Hopefully soon I will have some RH Solas Props here to test on Gene’s boat, he is using an Ultra right now so we will be able to compare. He also cannot trim his foot so I will be able to tell about the bow lift.

I used this prop calculator for my numbers

Prop calculator (http://www.boatpropellers.com/propcalc.html)

David

JimG
09-28-2004, 03:00 PM
Lenny, I think Ultra's were only made in long hub configuration. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong...)

All you have to do is drill & tap the shaft. I did mine in about 30 minutes. Done.

Watch eBay for the 22 Ultras. They go pretty cheap (I paid $127 for mine.) But then I added an inch ($75), and blew a hub ($100). :lookaroun :rolleyes:

JimG

Team Jefe
09-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Hell for a buck and a half I'd have added 2" :D

JimG
09-30-2004, 06:46 AM
Jefe, we're still talking props, right? :jestera: