PDA

View Full Version : She just died...ugh

Kirk
09-27-2004, 08:11 AM
Need some help here.....

Just re-powered a 74" classic with a SBC 350

Installed motor two weeks ago. Started up and ran fine for 1/2 hour (on the hose) temp fine, oil pressure fine. Last week took the boat...same result ran fine.

This last Saturday started boat on hose again and she ran fine. Changed oil stated again checked for leaks she ran great. Than I went and fueled up while the boat was on trailer. It's alittle cheaper that way then put away in barn.

Yesterday (Sunday) launched boat took off up river....everything was fine for 10 mins. than she just died while I was going just about 30mph. She re-started fine than stalled.

A freind on mine was along on his boat and towed me back to the dock. While tied up @ the dock I could start her but only for two seconds.

Everything is new....MSD Ingnition, Rev. limited, Distributor, Edelbrok 650 card new fuel filters etc.

I am thinking clogged fuel line as the boat sat for over a year until I bought her. Last year before storing for the winter I topped off tank and put stabilizer in. Ran just half a tank and than topped off.

It could be electrical but will know more later tonight after I get to work on it.

Thanks for the help.....

KJ

Fish boy
09-27-2004, 08:20 AM
probably not, but do you have a water seperator inline? I had something similar happen on an outboard, and my filter was completely full of water.

Steven Cohn
09-27-2004, 08:20 AM
Do you have a new fuel pump? Is it mech. or electrical? Remove the fuel line from the carb to check flow.

Kirk
09-27-2004, 08:26 AM
electrical fuel pump.....

No I dont have a water seperator unit....it's on the list!!

Thanks!!

mattyboy
09-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Kirk,
man your luck has to change soon!
hang in there
try and run her on an OB tank with a primer ball see if she runs longer than 2 seconds, I would give the wiring a once over some thing might have loosened up bouncing around on the trailer
good luck

Kirk
09-27-2004, 08:50 AM
yes...my luck does have to change soon.

So much for dotting the i's and crossing the t's in my case it did'nt work.

Age has taught me to take my time...dont get to crazy when things go wrong. Try to make it a learning experience and in time things will level out. But in the meantime my hair does seems to get alittle more gray after each "learning experience"

KJ

Steven Cohn
09-27-2004, 09:12 AM
I agree w/Matty's suggestion. Could have water in the carb fuel bowl, if your running w/o a fuel/water seperator (that would be an easy fix). Could be the shift cut-out, too (if she stalls when you go to put her in gear).

MOP
09-27-2004, 09:57 AM
More than likely it is fuel but did you check spark? I had an MSD that died on one of my 4X4's, the only spark I could get was when the starter circuit supplied juice which let it run a few seconds. As soon as the key was released to run position engine died. You can take a wire from battery + to purple on the coil if it runs something is dead with the MSD stuff.

Kirk
10-01-2004, 08:31 PM
Found the problem....

The fuel pump went bad. Finally had a chance to check things out..gave the pump a few taps with the screwdriver and she came to life.

Any suggestions as to a new electrical fuel pump...

Rootsy your thoughts please

Thanks,

KJ