PDA

View Full Version : Great first run !!!

Lenny
09-26-2004, 07:13 PM
We took her out today, sunny, warm, blue sky, only a few little aluminum boats around.

My best speed on GPS was 41 mph. The reason?

Well, on plane, going about 30-ish, if you hit the throttle, even a bit, she DIVES to starboard, into a good turn, lots of heel, then you quickly correct to port and then she adds another 15 degrees to that and dives in hard. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I didn't like the feeling of a hard turn instantly and in two different directions in the same second, so 41 mph it was, best speed. At 41 if was still a handfull and these tendancies were always present just not so instantly ugly. My guess would be that the gimbal and steering assembly need a bit of attention. At rest now, in the garage, with the leg down in operating position, I can turn it left and right for a total of 6 or more inches without affecting the steering wheel. This will be somethng else I get fixed ASAP. Also interesting, is when you punch it at say 35mph she literally dives hard to starboard into a quick turn :eek:.

Beautiful day tho and it was a joy to run her in the sun, hop waves (my own) and know I was in freshwater.

We had fun :yes: and she ran great other than the death rolls. :D

This, being my first boat in many years without a power steering pump, I must say, there sure must be some big arms out there. :)

MOP
09-26-2004, 07:57 PM
Lenny an idea, I think Forrest still has that Brandy New Volvo SX drive. That would make one excellent uprade, give you a good slippery drive, trim & tilt and great reliability. The price is better than good.

boxy
09-26-2004, 08:23 PM
Sounds like a blast Len, good luck with the gremlins.. :wrench:

BigGrizzly
09-26-2004, 10:41 PM
Your boat needs a little more trim, the diving into a turn in a turn may be result of that. It isw a joy to see and feel of a new boat

Lenny
09-26-2004, 11:00 PM
Grizz, Deneen and I have a few questions for you, in regards to AOTH and the replies you offer up now. Why are you so hard to find? I really want to pick your brain .
By the way, it is all GOOD. This thing rocks and I CAN ALSO SAY, it is the only one here,...period... ::)

Poodle and RickR, your numbers jive with mine on fuel filtration systems. It is a done deal on Monday AM. :)

Thanx for the numbers and the knowledge...

:yes:

JimG
09-27-2004, 07:59 AM
Lenny, you might want to try a different prop. My 18 would hook to starboard violently with the prop it came with (uncupped 23). I switched to a cupped 23, and it got a little better, but was still a white knuckle ride. Put an Ultra 22 (with an inch added) and it's a completely different boat. No dive to starboard AT ALL! I can almost take my hand off the wheel while accelerating. Also, no vibration.

Recently, I spun a hub on my Ultra and while it was in the shop I ran one of my old cupped 23's. Janet drove it, brought it back with a frown and said, "What is wrong with that boat?" Refused to drive it anymore until I put the Ultra back on. I don't know what kind of magic voodoo they do on Ultras, but the dang thing just work on 18's.

mattyboy
09-27-2004, 08:44 AM
Lenny,
glad to see your up and running,
Grizzly and Jim are right what trim setting were you in?? and the prop will make all the difference in the world, we had this problem on the cig too much of the nose in the water got the drive up all the way and it rides much better, plus the big eared props can make it pull and or chine walk, my volvo seems to behave better with a smaller blade surface prop, right now I'm dialing in a 22 ultra, I have been sorting out some play in my steering setup as well so if I can help let me know

Lenny
09-27-2004, 11:19 AM
Jim and Matty. What "hole" are you guys using on the drive? Mine is right at the transom, first hole, doesn't look like it has been changed before either. There are 3 holes in the arm.

Volvo, 280, no trim

JimG
09-27-2004, 11:30 AM
I'm running in the middle.

mattyboy
09-27-2004, 12:19 PM
Lenny the middle is generally the best, running it down like that will increase torque steer and cause the nose to drop, try it in the middle then try it up all the way and remember the holes that seem outta place are for the trailer bracket ;)
right now i'm running a 25 pitch chopper in the bottom hole and 52 mph on gps at 4100 rpms I can't keep the boat stable at 300 rpms with the drive up any higher ask Cliff it was scary!!! , the 22 ultra I can turn to 4900 but didn't have the gps with me but even in the bottom hole the ultra lifted the bow alot so once i get the steering worked out I'll go back to the middle hole and try it
you're running a 350 chevy volvo 280??

Lenny if you're doing this alone wear a vest and be prepared for the unexpected each prop I've tried reacts differently
well for you it might not be a problem, but I sorta tilt the boat one way if ya know what I mean, balance in a 16 is a lil more critical than an 18, so I also test with another person in the boat to get a true feel

Greg
09-27-2004, 04:52 PM
On my '66-18 I always used the middle hole.

Cuda
09-27-2004, 07:26 PM
Sounds to me like it's trying to bowsteer, and combine it with some worn steering would probably cause that.

Good advice from Matty about wearing a lifejacket when testing, things can go real bad real quick, and we need you around. :)

Lenny
09-27-2004, 07:51 PM
Kill switch on and inflatable Mustang always worn. I have far too many people to p i s s off yet in my lifetime. :D

BigGrizzly
09-27-2004, 10:53 PM
Lenny, both my 16 and my Corsican ran it in the middle hole with the 270 and the 250 drives. In about 60 days I will have the Volvo stainless props for sale. Since no distributor wanted to do this I did. DavidO tested them at Eufaula and wants one and I'm using it on my Corsican. Think of it an off the shelf ss prop for an old Volvo, that is easy to hub and is of a modern design. Still looking for the pictures of Cumberland and that grin driving the Criterion

Lenny
09-27-2004, 11:46 PM
Thanx Grizz, the pics too :)

I will buy one, easy sell. I read that from David O today as well. Sounds like they outperform the Ultra from what I have heard.

I have a short hub, and left hand (no comments please :D ) can you accomodate this or do I have to go long hub? and RH only?

Does anyone have a "quick fix" kit for a conversion (prop nut and locking system) for a short hub to long hub?

Ideas ? , immediate please :D