PDA

View Full Version : 16 Classics - lets see em

Fish boy
09-25-2004, 03:43 AM
OK folks, decided to start a thread for all of you that have classic 16s. Post pics, and tell us a little bit about your boat. Please remeber to be considerate of bandwidth and follow the posting size guidelines. Sorry folks, classic 16s only, there will be other threads for other donzi's.

Fish

KISSaholic4life
09-25-2004, 10:59 AM
Here's my story -

I found out near the end of Aug '03 that I was to become an owner of a brand new 2003 Donzi Sweet 16 (but ended up with a 2004). It was built during Sep and Oct '03 and delivered to me on either Oct 30th or 31st, a little Sweet 16 sitting in the middle of a giant 80ft trailer.
Since that late Oct day, my Sweet 16 has been sitting in storage just waiting for someone to take her to her new home, yes, unfortunately I have to let her go. CLICK HERE (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33892) for details - a 'Sweet' boat at a great price.
I unofficially call her Christine 16, which is the same of a KISS song. If you havn't noticed from my Donzi.net ID, KISS is my favorite band.
I have yet to ride in a Donzi - not many Donzi's up in the northern WI/northern MN area. From the way a lot of people talk up this way - "If it ain't a fishin boat, it ain't a boat". If there is anyone up this way who would take me out for a ride in there Donzi sometime, I'd really love it! I know the boating season is about over for now in this area, so please keep me in mind for next year.
As I read this before I post it, I realized I raised a few questions, here are some answers -
1) I won it thru Boating Magazine. It was a sweepstakes that they held last year. Yup, people really do win.
2) The standard set up, no upgrades.
3) I wish I had a picture of it, a really big trailer for my little boat. The owner of the marina where I had it shipped to said that's what he pulled up to when he got to work that day.
4) To put it bluntly, I need the money more than I need the boat.
5) I'm a card carrying member of the KISS Army, and have been since '76.
6) Yup, a lot of fishermen/fisherwomen, but not a lot of sporting boat enthusiasts - surprising, even with 10,000 lakes in MN. Seems like a ton of Donzi owners in MI compared to MN/WI.
7) I could have taken my boat out for a few spins, but I've never owned a boat, so I don't really know that much about boats/boating in general, among other reasons for not using the boat.

That's my abbreviated (sorta) story.

Fish boy
09-25-2004, 04:36 PM
Always wondered if people really won things in the big giveaways; wish it would have been me, it sure looks like a nice boat. Good luck selling it, and sorry you are not going to take it out for a spin. Probably a good idea though since it stays brand new, and you won't develop the addiction the rest of us have LOL

Fish

KISSaholic4life
09-25-2004, 10:32 PM
Thanks.

I really wish I could keep her, every video/pic/story that is posted here makes me want to keep the boat even more - so I'm kinda addicted to the 'Donzi lifestyle'.

Tony
09-25-2004, 10:55 PM
It was FREE...thus it does not represent any gain or loss to your income scene. KEEP IT!

I saw KISS a few years ago in East Lansing, sorry to say that the opening band, Skid Row, was better (imho). Guess I've never been a fan of "all show and no go" bands...

Keep the Donzi...it is the REAL DEAL!

Fish boy
09-25-2004, 11:27 PM
Thanks.

I really wish I could keep her, every video/pic/story that is posted here makes me want to keep the boat even more - so I'm kinda addicted to the 'Donzi lifestyle'.

I hear ya man, that is the way the addiction starts. there is no going back if you put it in the water and turn the key...

then again, one little spin around the lake won't hurt ;)

smokediver
09-25-2004, 11:31 PM
1998 , 4.3 , replaced intake / carb to a 4bbl . setup . I bought my boat from a guy named chuck who was a small dealer in port charlotte that was going out of business . I usually stay in the back waters around naples/fort myers/sanibel . I love the boat and have had a great time owning it . I have met a lot of great people at events and regret not having the time to make more . here is a pic taken at thanksgiving time a few years ago . my boat is in the front and tidbarts boat is next to it . in the background is bryants' blackhawk ..

Formula Jr
09-26-2004, 01:48 AM
If you Won a new Donzi 16 and then didn't put at least a few hours on it, I think people are gonna look at ya ah little funny.... :hyper:

KISSaholic4life
09-26-2004, 03:50 AM
It was FREE...thus it does not represent any gain or loss to your income scene. KEEP IT!

It's free until April 15th, then Uncle Sam wants his share.

mattyboy
09-26-2004, 08:01 AM
my boat is red i like my boat alot i go for rides in my boat my boat goes fast my boat makes a vroom vroom sound ;) :tongue: sometimes when i get tired i take nappy time on my boat :rlol:
I will show you mine if you show me yours

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4896

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5295

Tony
09-26-2004, 03:24 PM
My boat is red, too. It used to go fast and makes vroom vroom sounds, but right now it is not making any sounds. It was taken apart and I almost have it put back together. Soon I hope to go vroom vroom again...then winterize her!

Rootsy
09-26-2004, 07:59 PM
i have a 16... 1997 and it is red and white... it moves under it's own power again :) how fast? i donno the speedo doesn't go around that far ;)

JR - boldy going where FEW 16's have gone before...

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3507

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3508

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2344

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3510

and.. back in my slower days...

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6772

hyperlite98
09-27-2004, 10:07 AM
1999 Classic 16, 4.3L 2bbl. The sweet 16 has been my dream boat for as long as I can remember, (my neighbors across the bay have a 1967 18' and a 1976 18')We found this one in Chicago with only 4 hours on it about 5 months ago, shipped it up to Canada, and has found a new home in the waters of Southern Georgian Bay.

Kirk
09-27-2004, 12:16 PM
Rebuilt 350SBC

MSD Ignition, Distributor, Rev. Limiter, Full roller setup, edelbrock RPM Proformer intake, 650cfm edelbrock carb, Glenwood exhaust, Internal hydralic (sp) steering. Volvo 270 drive without tilt. Pearsons repro. donzi knob the list goes on and on. But I sure do love the boat.

I cannot tell you how much money I have into it. Dont keep track just in case my wife asks me.

Pic attached below on Lake George!!

KJ

yeller
09-28-2004, 09:52 PM
OK…I’ve been lurking in the shadows long enough. I’m a huge Classic fan and have been cruising this site for about a year now. I haven’t spoken up before because I wasn’t sure how everyone would respond (due to my boat). I have a Classic 16, but it’s not a ‘true’ Classic. It is actually a ‘copy’ or ‘replica’. There are several molds of the 16 kicking around my area…one of which is owned by a friend’s dad. Seventeen years ago, I went for a ride in my friends and was instantly hooked. I’d been in a lot of boats, but I had never, ever, ridden in a 16 that handled the water like that. Well…like you all know, once you’ve ridden in a Classic…you just have to have one!! Now at the time, I didn’t have the money to buy one (even if I could have found one, which is unlikely being in Vancouver, Canada), but I knew I had the skill and resources to build one! I did everything on the boat except lay up the hull and deck. I had a friend at the time working for a boat building company and he arrange for a couple of their guys to come to my shop and do the dirty work. I kept track of every penny spent. 6 months and $8500CDN later (including a crappy trailer), I had a brand new Donzi, albeit a copy.
The way I see it, the Classic has been made by half a dozen different companies…so which ones are the ‘real thing’?

I love my boat and everyone that rides in it…loves it too. And I don’t hesitate to tell em it’s a DONZI!

Now if you’ve stuck it out through all this babbling, some info on the boat itself:

1988 Donzi Classic 16 (I’ll leave that up for debate)

95 SBC350 LT1, GM Performance intake, Rochester carb. I’m one of the few who love the Rochester.

Berkeley 12JC jet

All white hull. As the old saying goes…”there are only 2 colors for a boat…black, or white…and only a fool would paint his boat black. OK, OK…I never made the saying up, only repeated it. ;) No offence intended.

White with dark teal interior, yellow accents.

Dual gas tanks mounted beneath the floor. Approx 30 gal.

Approx 60mph……old motor was gps’d at 51 (speedo read 50). New motor solidly pegs 55mph speedo.

The deck actually had the interior ‘tub’ with L shaped seating, but I cut it out to use buckets and open up the interior as much as possible. I also lowered the floor 4”.

Whether you accept my boat as a Donzi or not, I hope you can see me as another boater who loves the Donzi Classic.

chip w
09-29-2004, 02:28 PM
Mine's a '69 w/a HM 302. Someone in the past has modified the engine a little. Not exactly sure what they did, but I've rebuilt the electronics andpump to add to the full cosmetic restoration that the previous owner did. Yellow with white interior and correct decals. All chrome and stainless has been refinished. The speedo isn't accurate so it will go that fast... I bought it at the beginning of this summer and unfortunately, due to our lovely weather here in the Plywood state (Florida):angryfire , the most time I get to spend in it lately is in the garage smoking cigars. Oh well, better days ahead! (BDA) We mostly use it on Lake Carroll in Tampa (the local residents love the thru hull exhaust:jestera: ), Lake Tarpon and an occassional jaunt on Tampa Bay or other intercoastal waterways.

Tony
09-29-2004, 09:04 PM
Yeller welcome to the board, it looks like you did a nice job with your boat. Glad you're finally posting...don't worry this board has a very open mind on most topics.
One thing, though...that steering wheel is KILLIN' me!

mattyboy
09-29-2004, 09:11 PM
Yeller
69?? where are the clam shell vents??? rear louvre??
think it older than that ;)
got a hull number?

yeller
09-30-2004, 10:08 PM
Hey Toni,

Thanks for the welcome. :beer: When I found that steering wheel at a swap meet, I just couldn't resist. It used to be A LOT brighter. If nothing else...it makes people look.

Matty....At first I wasn't sure what you were asking, but now I think you were commenting on CHIP W's boat but directed it to me??

mattyboy
10-01-2004, 07:51 AM
ok why does a guy name yeller have a white boat and a guy name chip have a yeller one??

so I confuse easily

chip w
10-01-2004, 07:58 AM
Even I'm confused and I usually have something to say about everything! :rolleyes: Just ask my wife!

mattyboy
10-01-2004, 08:29 AM
Chip, Yeller, whoever owns the yellow boat ;)
my point was your 16 might actually be older than a 69 judging from the lack of clam shell vents and well what I assume in a funtional rear louvre with blower, these options were on older 16's Donzi Di's 65 16 has your setup, a 69 should have atleast 2 if not 4 clam shell vents and the rear louvre was done away with around 67-68, do you know your hull number?? my 16 is a 67 ( registered as a 68) hull 410, Tony Sporer's 16 is 420 his is a 67 as well,

I hope that clears up any confusion on this matter :confused:

take the yellow boat to the home town rally , see the man named Bertramboy, give him a flash light he will find the hull number :flashlight:

chip w
10-01-2004, 10:16 AM
Hereare some pictures of the vents. Rather than clam shell they are molded into the deck just forward of the cockpit and to the outside. Where can I locate the hull #?

Chip

mattyboy
10-01-2004, 03:19 PM
written in black marker on the back side of dash and / or up by the back of the bow eye when looking for them up there bring a strong flash light but not too strong you're right by the gas tank !!! ;) where are the exhaust vents???
hope that helps I have seen 16 with windshields that had vents in the front?? do you have a vent under the back seat it looks like an ac or heat vent??

chip w
10-01-2004, 06:52 PM
Thre's a vent under the rear seat. Exactly, it looks like a heat vent. I'll check for the hull number on the back of the dash. The bottom side of the cap has been re-wooded and glassed, so I don't think there'll be a number there.

Thanks for your help.

sanleonkid
10-04-2004, 06:42 PM
First day out on the boat... only got her up to 48mph on the trusty Garmin. ....... was fast enough for me at the time. Sales guy said he had her up to 62 with tabs in place. .... wish I would have sprung for the 18 ....... anyone interrested. $500 off my purchase price.......

http://www.gulfcoastkites.com/sanleonkid2.jpg

sanleonkid
10-04-2004, 06:43 PM
First day out on the boat... only got her up to 48mph on the trusty Garmin. ....... was fast enough for me at the time. Sales guy said he had her up to 62 with tabs in place. .... wish I would have sprung for the 18 ....... anyone interrested. $500 off my purchase price.......

http://www.gulfcoastkites.com/sanleonkid3.jpg

http://www.gulfcoastkites.com/sanleonkid2.jpg

sweet 16 1966
10-05-2004, 09:36 PM
Here is my 66 16'. Ford 302 with gen1 Merc.