PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Molds in Australia

Shaun Clancy
09-24-2004, 05:34 AM
Are you aware there is the 16 sterndrive and OB and the 19 St Tropez molds in Australia? If so when were they sent and by who?

Lenny
09-24-2004, 08:51 AM
Shaun, have you any pics of this? I would love to see the St. Tropez parts. Or a St. Tropez period.

Morgan's Cloud
09-24-2004, 10:30 AM
[QUOTE=Lenny]I would love to see the St. Tropez parts.OTE]

...Go with Deneen next month.. I will show you enough St Tropez parts it will make you ill ! :biggrin:

Now .. Back to Michael ...

Shaun Clancy
09-24-2004, 03:33 PM
There is every mold they used to build the boat. Are you indicating there are no molds in the States anymore?

Lenny
09-26-2004, 12:09 PM
Pics Shaun, pics :D

Shaun Clancy
09-26-2004, 04:03 PM
All in good time Lenny! I first want to here from Michael or anyone else who knows the history behind these molds. Who sent them? when? And any other history. As I said they are complete and boats can be built from them.I know Donzi still make the 16 S/D but do they have the O/B deck molds? Do they have the St Tropez molds?

Lenny
09-26-2004, 07:03 PM
We know the El Pescador molds no longer exist :rolleyes: (:mad: Rabco)

mphatc
09-26-2004, 08:27 PM
Lenny,

here's a few images of one unearthed near Winni a year ago.
I did not see it this summer, but then again Mario was w/o a boat . . . :embarasse :(

Mario

Shaun Clancy
09-29-2004, 05:12 AM
Sounds good, more to say when you move it.

Brian Freeman
09-29-2004, 10:22 AM
I thought sonic was going to build a 24 ft. dakota since they merged with dakota boats using the el pescador mold?

BIG BAD DONZI
09-30-2004, 12:00 AM
I think it might be a good idea to move this topic to another area as I have no knowledge about any 16' and 19' Donzi molds ever being sent, leased and/or sold to anyone anywhere through 1964. 188th Street was their home as far as I am aware.
Michael

Shaun Clancy
09-30-2004, 03:59 AM
Thanks Michael,

I believe boats were being built in Australia in the early 70,s under the Donzi name. This would be in the Chisholm ownership period. There are quite a few 16 I/O & O/B boats getting around Australia. Most of these were built in the 70,s. I owned a 16 with a Mercruiser a few years ago. I have read on the registry that there are only about 20 O/B 16's in working order in the States, I would say there would be many more over here. Does anyone know if there are 16 O/B and st Tropez molds in the states? Maybe the Chisholm Family sold them off.
Thanks again Michael

Lenny
09-30-2004, 08:37 AM
Shaun, keep in mind there are X-18 molds in Victoria, :D , but they are not real and I can guarantee you that Chisholm didn't sell them in order for them to get here. :)

BUIZILLA
09-30-2004, 10:27 AM
Lenny, that thing looks suspiciously like a 22' Dolphin made here locally.. especially with the shear line at the upper hull sides by the deck joint..

JH

Morgan's Cloud
09-30-2004, 10:31 AM
AT last , something I can speak to with knowledge...

The deck is correct but the floor liner has been modified. On the original floor the stringers are visible when you remove the main 'deck insert' (that the console sits in).This looks like it will work well though, although it appears that a little foresight will be needed in regard to later rigging.
The console is not the original unit.

Is this yet another project of yours Lenny ?

Steve

Sierra
09-30-2004, 10:33 AM
Lenny I was just about to say that. That Dolpin 22' is a close copy. But as to your pics the inside is close but no cigar.

Sierra

St. Tropez 1966

Lenny
09-30-2004, 12:04 PM
Nope, that is not mine. I have enough "projects" already :rolleyes:

Those pics are from Austraila. :D

Morgan's Cloud
09-30-2004, 01:44 PM
Nope, that is not mine. I have enough "projects" already :rolleyes:

Those pics are from Austraila. :D

Hmmm .... sounds like some secret communications going on around here ... :lookaroun

At any rate it seems they have the original deck and hull down there (splashed or otherwise)

Steve

Shaun Clancy
09-30-2004, 04:03 PM
Thanks Lenny for posting these pics for me. This is a boat just out of the mold. The inner was not used but the mold is there. You will note the console is differant also but the original is there too. Thanks for the feed back guys, I am sure sombody knows the answer to these molds.

Shaun Clancy
10-01-2004, 03:52 AM
Found some more info today on the history of these molds. In the late 60's plugs for the St Tropez and 16 were sent over to Australia by Donzi for molds to be made and Donzi's to be built and sold over here. For clarification the 19 plug was blue and the 16 was red. The company was called Admiral Donzi and the boats were baged Donzi. Glastron boats did the same thing with some of their boats around the same time. It would have been a lot easier than sending molds with frame work etc.
Now I have a real good scoop for you! I have from a good source that the out board deck was designed and built in Australia before it was seen in the States. This is supported by the right hand steering position.

Shaun Clancy
10-01-2004, 04:43 AM
The outboard reasoning may be true but as I said this was from a good source the outboard deck was designed over here. We have more second hand O/B than I/O. There were plugs for all the components including the St Tropez deck and inner. and the 16 I/O deck. Thanks for the info!

Shaun Clancy
10-01-2004, 05:36 AM
I don,t have a date yet but I heard a story today of a man in Aus who contacted Donzi in the States all those years ago, inquring about the outboard 16. The person from Donzi didn't know what he was talking about!

Shaun Clancy
10-18-2004, 04:06 AM
I have just been given a stack of old modern boating mags and there is an add in the back by the builder at the time advertising the boats in O/B, I/O and I/B. He calls them 17 Donzi though, but a few did. This mag was published in August 1967. There is no pic though so I cannot be sure it is the one. If sombody explaines how to post pic I will send the add. I also have some Mercury adds With a 16 O/B in August and September 1972 I will post also.

Shaun Clancy
10-18-2004, 06:13 AM
I think you are right about the Merc add. It looks like it is from the States. The Merlin add is not conclusive but it is the best I have found becides what people have told me. I am waiting on some more info from the second owner of the molds who may have files still. I hope the pics come through!

yeller
01-31-2005, 12:16 AM
Hey Lenny,

Do you know who has these molds? Would you be able to get a contact name for me?

Shaun, keep in mind there are X-18 molds in Victoria, :D , but they are not real and I can guarantee you that Chisholm didn't sell them in order for them to get here. :)

Lenny
01-31-2005, 02:20 AM
Hey Lenny,

Do you know who has these molds? Would you be able to get a contact name for me?

Yeller, contact me offline, I will give you a number of whom I sold them to...

Buy the real deal...

If you can't afford it, then wait.
I have been where you are... There are now at least 3-4 owners up here, (online connected) that will take you for a rumble.

You will thank me for this advise, believe me. :yes:

Don't go there, buy the real one in Washington that Eric looked at. You will never find another one, in good shape, that close.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?p=310959#post310959

Start at $11K US... and go from there. Don't mess around...

DON'T spend ump-teen thousound dollars looking at cheap boats like I did. Buy one, a real one, a runner,...then RUN IT...

Scott Pearson
01-31-2005, 06:01 AM
Here is a St. Tropez that was made in the sticks of Alabama....This mold is available through Bill Bob Jr. for a small trade for moonshine.

Scott
LGDCC

boxy
01-31-2005, 07:52 AM
Here is a St. Tropez that was made in the sticks of Alabama....This mold is available through Bill Bob Jr. for a small trade for moonshine.

Scott
LGDCC

Looking at the big square bale stuffed into the bow of the boat, I'm guessing that moonshine isn't the only thing they'd trade for ....... :hyper: :hyper:

apollo24
01-31-2005, 08:38 AM

Scott
LGDCCSticks in Alabama? Easy buddy. There may be swamps, gators, bayous and a good bit of mud, but no one calls this the "sticks." There are actually a good many Donzis here in LA (lower Alabama). And no, none of them have been converted to ABD's (air boat drives). http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif However, if I can just get access to Lenny's molds, I'll build an X-18 with a bench seat and a big wooden prop in the air. Maybe it would sell outside of gun shows.

yeller
02-01-2005, 01:07 AM
I know what your saying Lenny, but I like the idea of building my own. That's what I'm running now. I built my own 16C...a friends dad has one of the several molds kickin' around here. I know some may consider it a bit sleazy, but doing it myself I get it exactly the way I like it. If I bought the one Eric looked at I'd still want to rip out the engine/drive and interior. My real desire is to get a 22C. Anyway, I'd like to talk to the guy to check out my options.

Buy the real deal...

If you can't afford it, then wait.
I have been where you are... There are now at least 3-4 owners up here, (online connected) that will take you for a rumble.

You will thank me for this advise, believe me. :yes:

Don't go there, buy the real one in Washington that Eric looked at. You will never find another one, in good shape, that close.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?p=310959#post310959

Start at $11K US... and go from there. Don't mess around...

DON'T spend ump-teen thousound dollars looking at cheap boats like I did. Buy one, a real one, a runner,...then RUN IT...

David Hartmann
05-01-2005, 12:56 PM
Lenny,

here's a few images of one unearthed near Winni a year ago.
I did not see it this summer, but then again Mario was w/o a boat . . . :embarasse :(

Mario
do you who owns that boat now
it makes me feel like my project is easy

I would love to talk with the guy who is in the middle of this resto

jim_
11-24-2021, 10:33 PM
Hi All,

I know I'm digging up an old thread, does anyone know if there are Donzi molds in Australia?

Regards,
Jim