PDA

View Full Version : Help, How do you do a lein search in the us

South Island
09-23-2004, 11:50 PM
I need some help with lein searches in the USA. I am from the west coast of Canada and am looking at a boat in the southern states. Who should I call to see if the boat has a lein or if it is clear title. Any Ideas? Thanks in advance Brad

MOP
09-24-2004, 08:27 AM
If the vessel is a US documented you have to do an abstract of title, that can be done through any documentation company stateside. If the vessel is a state registered vessel then you need to do a UCC search, to be able to do so the seller needs to give you his full name and address. The UCC is very intrusive it gives all the lien information on the owner not just the vessel, if the owner knows this he may very well be reluctant to allow it. You can do a search on the net for companies that do either. Abstracts run about $75, UCC $15-35.

Lenny
09-24-2004, 08:46 AM
Phil, when you say US Documented vessel, do you mean a boat registered like a "ship" ?

And one that is State Registered, is that one that has the numbers on it beginning with something like "MC" for Michigan?

MOP
09-24-2004, 09:34 AM
Phil, when you say US Documented vessel, do you mean a boat registered like a "ship" ?

And one that is State Registered, is that one that has the numbers on it beginning with something like "MC" for Michigan?

Lenny most US finance companies will insist on federally documenting vessels that they make loans on, normally only larger loans. Liens against documented vessel are registered with the Coat Guard and stay with the vessel and can only be released by the person initiating the lien. UCC liens are made against the owner of the property whether it is a boat, car or other tangible property. These to need a release from the person placing the lien, in the states registered vehicles are linked via a central data base. More than likely there is reciprocity between Canada and the US for checking on vehicles (boats, cars etc.) So down the road a lien may catch up with you, I have seen things turn up over a year later. So it is wise to do searches, on documented boat it is wise to do both many don't with bad results later.

Phil