PDA

View Full Version : Black Mold in our Building ! ! !

Sport
09-23-2004, 12:34 PM
Has anybody had a problem with this ? The last week or so it has gotten worse, nasty stale smelly air in the office. There is a giant spot in the copier room about 3 by 4. Several people in the office have had sore throats, itchy skin, headaches and sneezing among other things. We called the county building inspectors office and are waiting for a call back. I got a $625.00 estimate form a mold inspectioin firm just to tell us what the problem is, he won't do anything to fix it just identify it. I have read several articles about this stuff on the net, about health issues and out of court settlements with employers. We do have one girl out sick today but I don't know why. My throat is sore today ! ! ! Hope this won't be a building closing issue to fix it, I need the cash ! !

Sport

Fish boy
09-23-2004, 01:04 PM
Doh!!! Only experience I have with it is leftovers from SaltRock Grille currently morphing in my fridge. Have not heard good stuff about Mold though. Good luck man, hope it is not serious.
Fish

GKricheldorf
09-23-2004, 04:13 PM
My boss bought a house a few years back that sits next to a wana be lake. He started getting allergy issues shortly after moving in. Found out there was mold all over. He had to have alot of drywall removed. Then they spray bleach all over to kill any leftovers. He still had issues, but no matter. He tore the whole house down and is still haveing a new mansion rebuilt.

That mold can cause some serious health problems. Here is a link i found - http://arar.essortment.com/whatisblackmo_rfls.htm

Here are some cleanup links

http://www.startremodeling.com/diy_mldclnup_identification.htm
http://www.black-mold.com/flood-clean-up.htm

Patti
09-23-2004, 05:05 PM
Jamie (Rootsy) & I are in the process of purchasing our first home in MI..and we just found out that the house has some mold issues.

We're having an inspector come in to look at it and take a sample and have the air tested.

We're pretty sure it's something we can have taken care of..wish us luck! :rolleyes:

SMLDONZI
09-24-2004, 09:53 AM
Sport,
...and I thought that was a protective coating on my suspension parts. Seriously, I hope the issue gets resolved shortly with little or no health impact on you or your coworkers.
Will

mikev
09-24-2004, 12:42 PM
Jamie (Rootsy) & I are in the process of purchasing our first home in MI..and we just found out that the house has some mold issues.

We're having an inspector come in to look at it and take a sample and have the air tested.

We're pretty sure it's something we can have taken care of..wish us luck! :rolleyes:

my wife sells real estate and has dealt with mold issues in my opinion if the house has mold issues dont by it you never can completly eraddicate mold and makes it real tough to sell again because you have to disclose the fact when you sell it down the road here it a good article on it.

link (http://realtytimes.com/rtapages/20010426_mold.htm)

wytmike
09-24-2004, 12:53 PM
Mold is the "asbestos" of this decade. As a commercial land owner, we have had to address this a couple of times. Depending on the severity of the contamination, it can be very costly and time consuming to remove. They shut the building down. Seal it up. Put protective clothing and respirators on and have at it. Insurance companies try real hard to fight claims. Good Luck

Scott Heidt
09-24-2004, 04:47 PM
Mold is a constant issue/concern in construction. Especially in Florida. Builders, Architects, and Engineers are constantly debating the best way to prevent the intrusion/entrapment of moisture in the form of water vapor, condensation, or rainwater.

For mold to flourish there has to be moisture in some form. Replacing drywall, insulation, and wood framing materials that are damaged by mold and moisture can be very costly. It is VERY important that you investigate and find the cause.

Otherwise, the mold and moisture will just have nice new building materials to munch on and the cycle continues.

Some things to think aobut:

Liquid water intrusion- Investigate the surrounding areas and find how the water is getting into the walls. (Flashing, Joints, Framed Openings, Bare concrete block/ sills, etc.). Sometimes it could be caused by leaky pipes in the wall. Concrete block and sills are very pourous and need to be treated with paint or sealants as soon as possible.

Condensation- Non-insulated HVAC lines/duct/ registers. Liquid water soaks into drywall and insulation like a sponge and gets trapped inside.

Water Vapor- Atmospheric air contains varying levels of water vapor. Florida is a particularly humid climate and thus the air has a rather high moisture content. Our HVAC systems do a rather good job of removing the moisture from conditioned strucutres. However, water vapor becomes a problem when it is trapped in the walls. Outside infiltration air with a high moisture content enters a structure and rapidly cools. When this water vapor reaches its dew point, it begins to condense in the wall.

The key thing is to find the cause and then make the appropriate repairs. It definitley sounds like there is a high concetration of airborne irritants in the building. Also, check your HVAC system. The duct could have high concentrations of mold or other irritants and could be circulating them. I don't believe that the visible mold on the wall would be making everyone sick. However, some people are more susceptable to mold then others.

It is just like asbestos. Asbestos really isn't a problem until it is introducted into the air and thus inhaled, and usually this only happens when it is disturbed (i.e. grinding, cuting , burning, etc.).

I hope things work out. It definitely sounds like there is an airborne irritant. I have worked in a sick building and it sucks! It sounds like you are doing your home work. The mold remediation business is filled with scammers. Make sure to get references and qualify each and every subcontractor with respect to their eduction and experience with mold remediation.

Just my two cents! :)