PDA

View Full Version : Z Care

nauti-props
09-22-2004, 08:53 PM
I was informed by Tony V at Donzi that my 2004 38ZX is not covered by Z Care despite what I was told when I purchased the boat. Can anyone tell what specific paperwork they received confirming their Z Care policy. So far, I have found the original Donzi Warranty which has a stamp on the back which reads "The Z-Care 5-year protection paln covers exclusively all ZX Medels and ZSC Models". I also have the pamphlet which covers the limitations and how to receive coverage. I would appreciate any input.

mjpcowboy
09-23-2004, 08:54 AM
I have a 2001 33ZX and despite several calls to Donzi and the Dealer I have received no warranty cards etc. with Z-Care which mine was covered under. Other than their advertisement about Z-Care I received nothing. It is my understanding that Donzi originally was going through a third party however the relationship fell through with that company and no 3rd party warranties were purchased by Donzi (at least on my boat) I am going to be having some warranty work done this fall and it is my assumption Donzi will cover it internally. Best of Luck. Rick

Cuda
09-23-2004, 09:22 AM
I think that's why I've heard it refered to as "Z ero" care.

fasttrucker
09-23-2004, 12:19 PM
I thought it was called Z-you-later? :yes:

Barry Phillips
09-23-2004, 03:00 PM
I have Z Care on my 02 Classic 22, the last year it was offered on the Classic series. This summer I replaced a bilge blower, bilge pump, and the track lock on my helm seat myself. I dealt with Springfield directly on the seat part and installed it myself. Now I have a bad trim switch which Bennett is taking care of, and I will install it myself. The bottom line is Z Care is "no care" and warranty issues are Donzi's biggest problem. I have heard this from at least 2 dealers, who dropped Donzi because they get stiffed on warranty repairs, but do not want to lose their business, so they eat it. If I was in the market for a ZX style boat, I would look elsewhere. This is a problem that Donzi might want to address because there are lots of go fast sport boats out there, to numerous to list.

Trueser
09-23-2004, 03:13 PM
This should throw a blister on things.

Team Hula Girl
09-23-2004, 06:51 PM
Hopefully this won't turn into a "Donzi bashing" thread. I just thought I would put my $.02 in. If you have a legitimate gripe about warranty work or Z-care make sure you call your dealer first. If you dont have a local dealer or can't get assistance from them than call Donzi Customer Service directly.

I believe Z Care was a great program for Donzi Marine when it was introduced. I just don't think it turned out to be what Donzi envisioned it to be. I believe it was phased out over the last few years. Classics in 02, ZX's in 03 and ZF's in 04 I think were the last year of z-care.

There probably isn't anyone on this board that has more to say about donzi warranty issues than me. I won't discuss my issues on this or any other website/forum. However, if anyone wants to know my experience I will be more than happy to share it with them. I will be at the Hometown Rally in October or you can e-mail me to get my phone number and call me directly.

John G. Mitchell Jr.

P.S. I have a feeling this thread won't last to long because of the nature of the topic. These things usually get ugly at some point.

nauti-props
09-23-2004, 08:35 PM
This post is not meant to bash Donzi...I love my boat. I am just looking for specifics on how the warranty is applied to the individual. I will not discuss my issues as they apply to the boat. If anyone has any specific information to pass along, I would appreciate it. Thanks again

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-24-2004, 07:07 AM
Greg, here is what I know. In 2003 Donzi dropped Marine Innovations as the insurer, they are the one that provides the litle 4 x 6 pamplet which came with most Donzi's.
But, they dropped them, Z-Care was not offered on every ZX sold after that, the ones that did have the coverage are covered directly by the factory, the factory covers the bill, as in my case I call the factory, they enter my Hull ID and I am covered for whatever I need etc. Their exemption list matches the list in the Marine Innovations booklet.
There is no warranty card etc.

My 2003 boat had 40 hours on it when I bought it, so I had to submit two warranty transfer forms and $125 for my coverage. (hull & ZCare) I filed away the cashed check.
Sounds to me the seller misrepresented the boat and said it was covered when it actually was not. There is about a $20K price difference in the boats that have it than don't.

As far as ZCare as a whole goes, I have had coverage on all three of my ZX's with great luck on major items (drives, fairing etc), on minor items the factory often just drop shipped me what I needed, speakers for example.
Good luck, maybe we'll see you this weekend.
Bryan

daboys
09-24-2004, 08:52 AM
:yes: I have had a few minor warrenty items on my 2001 ZXO that Donzi via the Z care program has been agreeable to fix. This included a couple of screws poking thru back bench seat - they used the wrong length so they replaced the whole seat and smaller fasteners, transducer failure on depth finder - replaced transducer, and some fuel injector problem - new part, fixed. They even paid $100 to the dealer to go to my dock - kinda like a house call, to make the repairs. They have been a little slow to respond but everyone I have talked to at the dealer (not the one I purchased the boat through) and at Donzi Corp has been great.

The Z care warrenty was one of the facotrs that heavily influenced my decision to purchase a Donzi. I have to chack my paperwork bit I think I have a postcard with a contract number for the warenty but Donzi has never requested this they know tge warrenty applies because it was standard on all 2001 models. Not sure if it is currently included or an add on.

BUIZILLA
09-24-2004, 08:52 AM
Okay, let me understand this better....

If a current ZX seller harp's the Z care as *still in effect* with a used 1999 and newer boat, the buyer should ignore this perk in his negotiations??

Where can I verify if a used boat currently on the market is still covered by Z care, before an offer is made to purchase said boat??

JH :confused:

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-24-2004, 09:45 AM
BUIZILLA
The factory will know if you have the hull ID #.

Also, what most don't know is the Marine Innovations policy can only be tranferred TWICE!
Not sure about Donzi's policy or their Hull warranty for that matter.
Bryan

Barry Phillips
09-24-2004, 09:57 AM
My problem is I live in one state and keep the boat 200 miles away in another state. Typhoon Marine in NJ would be my regional dealer but it would be a little inconvenient to transport the boat 300 miles to replace an $18 bilge blower or a bilge pump base. The Boat Store from whom I purchased the boat 370 miles away, because the regional dealer were I operate the boat treated myself and my wife badly when we drove 240 miles in February to give him a $12,00.00 deposit for spring delivery on a boat we had decided upon. He did not seem to feel the deal was to his advantage after I signed a purchase agreement . The Boat Store who is no longer a Donzi dealer well reimburse the local dealer for warranty repairs, but it’s not like my local dealer and I have a cozy relationship. To be fair to Donzi every time I’ve have called them they have tried to be helpful, but the reality is a lot of the components on my 22 are warranted by the manufactures and it’s easier to work with them. Springfield and Bennett have been most helpful and I can install the parts myself more conveniently than tying up my boat for a week or so at a dealer who did not want my business in the first place. At $2 a gallon it’s not even worth it to tow the boat 90 miles round trip for an $18 blower held in by 2 screws. Donzi dealers are not exactly numerous and they seem to change a lot, so it is difficult to build a relationship with a service department that you trust.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-24-2004, 10:47 AM
Barry, good points.
Greg at the Boat Store is a GREAT guy, that is where my 26ZX came from.
I have only used the ZCare for big ticket items.
Unlike the $12 cuddy latch I just bought.

My new dealer is Jackson Marine, also 300 miles away, but guess where my boat will be sitting for the first major issue?
Seasoned dealers who are familiar with Donzi ZCare is the way to go IMHO.
Bryan

Barry Phillips
09-24-2004, 01:06 PM
Bryan, Greg was at the Boat Store and he is super. Greg would have Donzi drop ship the part to my home and I would return the defective item. His replacement wants me to transport the boat to my local dealer and I would be reimbursed, but there is too much water under the transom, so I think I'm not going to get much priority, although I could be wrong.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-24-2004, 09:38 PM
I spoke to Greg tonight and we hope all works out for him, he is a great guy and loves his Donzi as much as we do. We will boat together tomorrow (if I can get out of bed!)...
IMHO Greg is going to handle this the right way, as I would if I felt I was getting screwed by a dealer who misrepresented their deal.
Bryan

Pictures attached just for GP... We love our girl.