PDA

View Full Version : I MADE IT !!!! First motor question... :)

Lenny
09-22-2004, 08:12 PM
Long story, to be told later, but anyways, I got it home, I just put it away, and I spent about a hour and a half at the little Lake. Two problems. One, the leg doesn't go up or down, (tilt) but since I have a spare motor and it has no power it is probably a fuse as apparently they draw a lot of current and blow easily. (wishful thinking)

Second, it won't pump fuel into the clear filter about 8 inches from the carb. The petcock IS open at the top of the tank. I took the line off on the tank side of the filter and blew into it. I could hear it bubbling away in the tank with (Yes, Tux) a full tank of fresh premium ;) I blew through the filter into the carb about 8 inches away and it was an easy push, (so not a float problem I assume. ??? When I poured gas down the carb (and re-installed the arrester each time, it ran like a charm and sounded GREAT !!! (Man, was I pumped)

Anyways, I "sucked" (no comments please;) ) hard on the hose at the carb, tank side of filter on the hose and got a mouthful of "Champagne" which is why I just bought 2 bottles of wine and a 6 pack :D to rinse with.

Now, keep in mind I blew bubbles into the tank from the carb THRU the fuel pump. I don't think I should be able to do that should I? And I was able to SUCK at the carb past the fuel pump... Fuel pump is standard 350 side of motor 2 bolt stuff whatever that is.

Any ideas or should I just buy a pump? If so, what pump (mechanical) do I buy to replace it?

Byron, thanks, it is as good or better than I had imagined. It sounds great, a new interior is on its' way (complete, front and rear and shells and sliders in candy stripe) and I am VERY happy. Thank you.

I will probably try to strip the deck back to gel and wet sand and buff it out if possible. That is a winter project. Hullsides and bottom are original gel, transom painted to accomodate new exhaust holes but a great fill job. All but invisible and they only moved about 3/4" from the original location.

It is too bad I couldn't get it going. I had my dad meet me there (73) 'cuz I didn't have a paddle for it (yet) and I contemplated having him sit in back with the hatch off and keep pouring the gas in. Better judgement prevailed and I had to abandon my first "run". Sad tho, 'cuz just in front of me, I am at a deserted dock as no one uses this little lake, was the Olympic rowing team, in their 40' shells, the coxon screaming and I REALLY WANTED TO RUN THROUGH this crowd. Next time.

Also, I was VERY LUCKY, cuz as I sat in the engine compartment, squashed inside, Mustang Air vest on still, I tried to get out and was "stuck". Turns out it was the rip cord for the self inflate feature on the jacket. Man, would that have been a picture. Anyways, back to the beer and I am just happy it is here, downstairs, put away and exactly what I wanted... :)

Cuda
09-22-2004, 09:26 PM
Lenny, when I first got the Minx running I had the same problem. What I found was a rust hole in the old water separator. I had convinced myself that it had to be the fuel pump, but I knew I had just put in a brand new one, so then I guessed I installed it wrong. Took a while to find the small hole in the filter/separator. Don't know if this is your problem, but that is EXACTLY what mine acted like. I couldn't get my head down there to inspect it, so I stuck my camera down there and took pictures.

BUIZILLA
09-22-2004, 09:31 PM
Len, just for grins, get rid of the non-return fitting (or just gut it) at the fuel tank outlet elbow connection :smash:

JH

Lenny
09-22-2004, 10:27 PM
Will do Jim. I want all other opinions as well, but I like hearing from you as you make a living out of "fuel" ;)

I will NOT leave this little teeny Lake until I sort this little bit out. I don't want to be caught in the ocean here with 1" of freeboard floating aimlessly :rolleyes:

I love this thing and MAN does it sound GOOOD !!! ( for 7 seconds :rolleyes: )

Thanx Jim and Cuda ! This is obviously some CHEAP little nuance that is trying to destroy my X-18 experience. I will destroy it. :D

Rootsy
09-23-2004, 08:18 AM
take the hose off of the carb.. it should pump when turning over the motor... BIG squirts... be prepared... if you have no issues up to that point in the fuel system

if you have an air leak anywhere BEFORE the pump it'll suck air and will not prime... check the spin on filter and fittings if it has them...

if you have a vacuum gauge you should be able to test the diaphram in that fuel pump... plug one side.. draw a vacuum on the other and if it will not hold it is leaking... time for a new one..

start with jim's suggestion and go from there lenny... since i don';t know what she looks like AT the tank or up to the point of the fuel pump...

the last sbf i put together i went through 3 brand new hi volume holley pumps that were bad right out of the box from holley... imagine that.. such quality control...

JR

GKricheldorf
09-23-2004, 09:54 AM
Disconnect the fuel line from the carburetor, put an extension hose on the line, and aim the hose into a quart can. Being very careful to keep the can and any stray gasoline away from possible sparks, start the engine on the fuel in the bowl and see how long it takes to get a pint. Most pumps will do this in less than a minute, but check the specs if you think there's a problem. Low volume often means there's an air leak between the pump and the tank..

BUIZILLA
09-23-2004, 10:10 AM
Let's a$$sume you have a 60 gph fuel pump, then you will fill a (1) gallon jug in (1) minute at WOT, at idle it will be about 1/2 that amount.

JH :umbrella:

ITTLFLI
09-23-2004, 01:05 PM
Lenny,

I'm glad to hear you FINALLY got her!! I sometimes wish I still had it! However, she is in good hands!

On the fuel thing. When I first tried to fire her, which was on the trailer, it wasn't getting fuel to carb. I figured it was because it had sat so long. I didn't want to kill the battery or starter so I dumped some fuel in the carb to get her running. Once she fired she started and ran fine. I even started on the trailer the week before we took it to Michigan. Sounds like there might be more to it now as you have diagnosed it further than I did.

Byron

Lenny
09-23-2004, 04:57 PM
Wrenching is something new-ish to me and I really start to get suicidal when I start to work on motors.
Anyways, I bought a new fuel pump, (marine) but haven't put it on yet. Later tonight if I get time. Things are cheap and good insurance anyways. When I talked to my "mechanic" (like I have one :rolleyes: but that sounds good) he said there is basically what you could call an "intake and an exhaust valve" inside the fuel pump. He said it sounds like the "exhaust" valve side of the pump is stuck open which is why I can blow bubbles into the tank from the carb and as well, suck gas to the carb all the way along and through the fuel pump.

We'll find out later :)

Neighbours will love the sound of this one high up on the hill :D

Cuda
09-23-2004, 05:15 PM
I pressurized mine back from the carb to find the leak in the filter.

MOP
09-23-2004, 08:13 PM
Lenny your wrench is right no way should you be able to blow back through the pump.

Lenny
09-24-2004, 10:23 PM
It was the fuel pump. I installed a new MARINE one, hooked up to the tank, poured some gas in the carb, fire extinguisher beside me and full, flashed it...man, that was a lot of gas :eek: in the bilge in just 3 seconds.

Now I have to replace all the lines and all fittings and get nuts on the fuel delivery system ;) Should the Racor (it has only a beside the carb filter) system be before the pump or after and just before the carb?

There was rust in the lines so I know what is coming but no gas odor yet and none in the bilge with a full tank. I have a little time to enjoy it I think.

Sure sounds good tho. Neighbours HATE me even more and I thought that was impossible :rolleyes: Small exhaust leak on starboard closest to the transom whatever cyl that is. I need to replace the NICSONs' with Stainless Marine anyway so no biggy.

Maybe I can find an hour on Sunday to take it back to the lake and run 'er out. :D

Question #2, the new pump has a "vent" that needs a small (vacuum style diameter) hose, where should I locate the "exit" for this? It is for a safety relief for a blown pump so it doesn't pump into the bilge. Any ideas?

:D thanx as always...Lenny

MOP
09-24-2004, 10:51 PM
Lenny the Racor should be the first thing to see fuel. The 1/4" outlet tube is suppose to have a plastic tube that is run up to the air filter! Sucks gas into carb if diaphragm in pump starts to leak, special composition collapses and seals off in case of fire. Fix it and go have some fun!

Phil

RickR
09-25-2004, 09:18 PM
Lenny
Fix exhaust leak ASAP!
Hopefully you just need a gasket. I highly recommend Hylomar (Permatex available in tube or spray) for gasket dressing, the stuff will cover a lot of mistakes and imperfections. I ALWAYS use Hylomar between exhaust manifold/gasket and head exhaust port/gasket. Use a high quality gasket (Felpro) and re-torque after a few heat cycles.
If you let the exhaust leak go too long, you will burn a hole in the head exhaust port mating surface. If that happens you have to remove head and mill mating surface. :(

BTW I use a vapor detector (around $100) Alarm goes off if there is more than 10% of vapor required for combustion.

Lenny
09-26-2004, 01:19 AM
Now I am learning again... Sooo much stuff I have no idea of, never had.

This will be fun and hopefully look after my ADD...

One thing is FOR SURE... It will be done right with all your help... :yes: