PDA

View Full Version : OMC O/D issues

cutwater
09-22-2004, 03:43 PM
OMC novice here posting a thread!:

From the pictures I have posted, how can I tell whether this is the later model OMC drive with the cone clutch or the earlier model? Are there any re-occuring issues with the earlier drive?

See pictures under the thread:

1989 22 Classic for Sale (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36776)

in "Donzis for Sale"

Thanks, John

RickR
09-22-2004, 04:18 PM
cutwater
From pics looks like the "old dog clutch type drive" which is similar to an Alpha.
The drive and the Ford engine will reduce value of boat by a few thousand because they are not as popular as the Chevy/Bravo combo.
Depending on condition she looks like a good value. I would be suprised if the exhaust manifolds are still good so be sure and do a leak down or compression check. A low cylinder pressure would probably be caused by rusted cylinder walls, rings, valves and/or valve seats.

Do a search (upper right hand corner of window) for Cobra Drives.

Do you boat on Loudon????

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!

jeffnstef
09-23-2004, 05:30 AM
I dont understand what a leak down or compression test is going to tell you about the exaust manifolds ?

jeffnstef
09-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Oh, Thank you ;)

MOP
09-23-2004, 08:16 PM
Thats an early King! They turned out to be Queens hooked to big blocks, they are a bit heavier than the Alphas but no match for a Bravo. A new upper gear set if blown will run near $1,500.

cutwater
09-24-2004, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the useful info on the King Cobra O/D. RickR - I do boat on Loudon on occasion. Don't have a boat right now but I have friends that live near PJ's Marina. I'll drop you and RedDog messages sometime soon. GO VOLS!

Decided not to pursue this boat at all. On top of the O/D issues, the guy wasn't willing to take pictures of the interior or anything. Plus I found out the pics he did have posted were not current and he hasn't used the boat in a while; the trailer hasn't been kept in great shape, etc. If it seems too good to be true....

RedDog
09-24-2004, 09:45 PM
Cutwater - there are or will be good deals out there. Find what you like and go for it. An 18 or 22 Classic on Ft Loudon is just right. I picked up my 22 in northern Ohio. I sold my 18 to a gent from Detroit. Travel for the right boat should be accomodated.

BLACKIE
09-25-2004, 10:58 PM
RedDog's right, traveling for the right Donzi is worth it. I bought RedDog's 18' and I couldn't be happier. It was all he said it was and is a real hoot to drive on Lake St. Clair here in Michigan. I looked at a good many boats and I found the best information and Donzi's for sale here in this forum. You won't find a better or more knowledgeable group of Donzi fanatics anywhere.

Indecently, RedDog, the Donzi is running great…….I have learned one thing though, don’t have loose stuff in the cockpit while driving WOT. It blows out. I had to backtrack the other day to find my bumpers and ropes. They were strung out for about a half-mile. Had no clue they were gone because I was alone in the boat.

Good Luck in finding a boat, just be patient. There are lots of great boats listed on this site and they come up for sale all the time. A lot of the guys know each other and their boats. You can get an answer to just about any question you may have concerning Donzis.

BUIZILLA
09-26-2004, 07:04 AM
Cut, perhaps my 20' Minx is the RIGHT size ya need :idea:

Jim

MOP
09-26-2004, 08:03 AM
Jim any clue how many Black Donzis were made, looks to be very unique it is the only one I have ever seen and super sharp.

Phil

BUIZILLA
09-26-2004, 08:14 AM
Phil, I have no clue..

JH

MOP
09-26-2004, 10:05 AM
Yours is Gorgeous and I think may be rare from the pics! The two that made the 1000 Island run made a good showing for them selves, definitely good looking boats one of my favorites.

RedDog
09-26-2004, 08:57 PM
….I have learned one thing though, don’t have loose stuff in the cockpit while driving WOT. It blows out.

Yep - watch the rear seat cushion. I almost lost it once. Better velcro is fasteners are really in order but maybe you have already fixed that issue...

Also lost a life perserver and throw cushion....