PDA

View Full Version : Benchmark Years

Genuine Risk
09-20-2004, 03:45 PM
Does anyone have an opinion on Donzi model years of note. I began thinking about this when EricG's '76 18' Classic w/350 + Volvo 280 became available. For instance, I have always admired and desired a '69 Camaro Z-28. Only year for that body style, last year for 302 CI solid lifter small block. '70 Camaro Z-28. First year of new body style, only year for 360HP LT-1. In my opinion two highly collectable cars. Now how does that line of thought work for the lineage of the 18' Classic. I don't mean for this to become an indictment of certain years that might be deemed less desirable but rather your thoughts on those years that stick out as highly desirable and for what reasons. I can't get the picture of EricG's 18' out of my head and in my dreams I've stroked the 350 ( ala MOP ) and hung a Volvo DPX ( So cool Forrest !!) outdrive on it !!! Thanks for your thoughts.

Tim

BUIZILLA
09-20-2004, 03:48 PM
like this one of mine?? :wink:

Ranman
09-20-2004, 04:13 PM
I prefer anything from the 1963 - 2004 vintage. :biggrin:

While some models are more rare than others, the Donzi following is not that of classic cars. Custom boat manufacturing is one of the last true American craftsman trades. If you really think about it, custom boats are one of the few items that are truly American and still hand made! Anyway, the Donzi factory, being a custom shop, was always changing, either due to available materials or customer requests. The boats just don't have the same consistency of their automobile counterparts. Because of this, all of the boats are unique in my eyes. It's amazing when comparing several boats how they're all essentially the same (18 for example) yet so vastly ifferent.

As for hot set-ups to answer your question, I would say factory big block 18's are cool (and rare) as well as soo many others. It really doesn't matter what Donzi you own, they're all rare and collectable in the grand scheme of things. That is especially true when compared to "assembly lined" automobiles.

Marlin275
09-20-2004, 05:11 PM
So many aren't produced anymore.
28 1965-
Hornet 64-76
X-18 72-79
Minx 86-88

See Model List at top of page

Genuine Risk
09-20-2004, 06:42 PM
Buizilla,
Now were talk'n ! Expand on your take. For instance. 1. Genth & Houser- important / not important. Why. LE- i/ni, why, Alpha SS- i/ni. Why.

Genuine Risk
09-20-2004, 07:01 PM
Ranman,
Big Block 18' Excellent. Always available or certain years ? Didn't someone have an 18' V-drive w/ 427 Ford ? Generally speaking the " marineized " 427 engines weren't that rare. Century & Chris-Craft, for instance, used them. The V-drive is cool. Probably didn't build a lot of those. However, could the 427 in the 18', as supplied by Holman & Moody, been one of the Nascar " Side oilers " ? Now that would be rare !!

Genuine Risk
09-20-2004, 07:40 PM
Just read " freeradical's" post under Ask MIchael Aronow. 1974 18' w/455/390 HP Olds & Berkely Jet !! WOO HOO !! Now that's not your father's Oldsmobile !! And look at Lenny's reply. What is the Super Bee option ??

gold-n-rod
09-20-2004, 09:21 PM
However, could the 427 in the 18', as supplied by Holman & Moody, been one of the Nascar " Side oilers " ? Now that would be rare !!

Nearly 20 years ago, I went out and looked at a Century Resorter that had been stripped for restoration. The garage caught fire and the hull was removed before it could burn (it was still on the trailer). All the interior, trim and running gear were in the fire. I looked at the bare hull and then the engine with its mess of melted wires and aluminum parts. I passed on the purchase, but told a buddy about it. He recognized it for what it really was (and could again be).

Turns out, it was a factory installed side oiler in the boat. It was originally built for Pat Paulsen (the entertainer/ presidential candidate). It was restored and runs 65 mph.

That's flyin' for an old woodie!!!!!!!!!!

another Randy

gold-n-rod
09-20-2004, 09:28 PM
Does anyone have an opinion on Donzi model years of note.

I'm gonna say that the '00 or '01 Classic models will go down in history as a benchmark year due to the composite stringers. Imagine someday when owners of these boats don't have to worry about replacing rotten stringers. :)

Does anyone know for certain which year(s) this change was made?

another Randy

JimG
09-21-2004, 08:02 AM
I prefer anything from the 1963 - 2004 vintage.
While some models are more rare than others, the Donzi following is not that of classic cars. Custom boat manufacturing is one of the last true American craftsman trades. If you really think about it, custom boats are one of the few items that are truly American and still hand made!

Well said, Randy!

JimG

mattyboy
09-21-2004, 08:37 AM
What Randy said is on the money plus you must take into account the owner's "thing" or what you want
for some it is

1. to own a true Aronow boat a model designed or raced when Don A was at the helm. and not necessarily a Donzi
2. originality
3. production numbers or lack their of, some just like it rare!
3. customized- there are 2 kinds of this animal, the cosmetic and the speed demon usually the 2 animals hunt together
4. any port in a storm, this one just got bit at an early age and knew someday it had to be a Donzi, 16 18 22 whatever it's a Donzi !!!! ;)

there are a few barrelback 427 v drives around I have heard of 2 on Lk george 1 I have seen the other only heard about, there was one for sale that was repowered to a 454 not to long ago.

a v drive Corsican might peek some interest ;)

a whippled 22zx??

a triple digit X 18??

a pearl white and orange barrelback???

a 600 hp 22c??

a spitfire with twin ROLLS ROYCE merlins:eek:!!!!

MINE!!!!! ;)

the two Donzi I love most , this one and my next one!!!