PDA

View Full Version : Ivan

RPD
09-19-2004, 07:07 PM
Ivan the Terrible has come and gone and we are living in the stone age again.... National Guard with M16s at every corner... black helicopters flying over continuously... no power, no water, no gas but that doesn't matter since most streets are impassable, spotty phone service, ... (I have made it to Mobile where power came back today and gasoline is available)... BUT, the Donzi came through without a problem (one minor scratch from cleanup operations not the storm), the sailboat was the only boat left floating at the marina, and the Cape Horn floated its trailer off into the trees but seems unhurt (won't know until I can move the roof gable between me and it), aerial photos from the beach posted on the net suggest the condo is still there, although damaged..... life is good in paradise.

The important thing to remember is that this has been happening for thousands of years... all over Florida and the Gulf Coast.... when we live here we must make preparations... and the rest of the country subsidizes coastal development through the federal flood insurance program and through insurance premiums... as a lifelong resident, I thank you.

gcarter
09-19-2004, 08:19 PM
The important thing to remember is that this has been happening for thousands of years... all over Florida and the Gulf Coast.... when we live here we must make preparations... and the rest of the country subsidizes coastal development through the federal flood insurance program and through insurance premiums... as a lifelong resident, I thank you.
Yep, that's right.
When I was a young child in Freeport, TX, I knew an older gentleman who went through the 1900 hurricane when 5000 people died and Galveston went under.
I went through a storm in about '48 when virtually all the planes on our small airport in Freeport were destroyed.
Also I went thropugh Carla in '61, I think, and the area where NASA is today on Clear Lake, TX was under several feet of water.
Hurricanes are a part of life. It's really no different than the Mississippi, or the Ohio flooding, or large earthquakes, or mudslides, of forest fires in California. They all have the same loss of life and negative impact on the various economies.

DonziDave
09-19-2004, 08:49 PM
The important thing is that you and your family are safe..!!!
The rest is just stuff...and can be replaced. I know the hell you are going through...I got slammed by Hugo in 1989, but no where near the level of destruction you experianced. The photos I've seen are sickening. I always loved coming to your area...just beautiful..!! I hear that the Flor-Bama bar is gone. Several years ago, I designed two ocean front hotels down there...one in Gulf Shores and one in Orange Beach. I haven't heard from any lawyers yet, but I expect they are both gone.
My best to you and your family...Dave

Fish boy
09-20-2004, 09:34 AM
Glad to hear you are safe. Glad to hear the donzi made it ok too. I hope life is restored to normal shortly for you and the rest of the folks in your area.

FIsh

JimG
09-21-2004, 08:05 AM
Good luck, man...

If there's anything us Texans can do, just let us know! We LOVE Pensacola, and will be among the first turistas there when y'all let us in! :rlol:

JimG

Bigbroadjumper
09-21-2004, 09:06 AM
Our thoughts are with you. My family lived on Villa Sabine in the early 60s. It is very sad to see what you must be going thru. I wish there was something I could do. Best of luck.

Cuda
09-21-2004, 09:21 AM
Glad to hear you came through all day. Sometimes Mother Nature comes along and reminds us who is the true landlord, and that we are there only by her grace. I know around here, all those beach islands are nothing but sandbars waiting for the next big one to return the sand to the sea.