PDA

View Full Version : Spyware/Adware- what are you using?

Fish boy
09-14-2004, 08:15 PM
if you are on the internet then you have probably already heard about spyware and adware. Yo can get it from a variety of sources (email, free software, visiting sites...etc). Chances are, that if you are not proactive about removing thses critters, you probably have at least one on your computer right now.

I actually run three since no one program seems to catch everything, but if I were going to use only one, it would be Webroot spyweeper spysweeper (http://www.webroot.com/wb/products/spysweeper/sweeperb.php?rc=1227&ac=sec29) I recently ran spybot search and destroy, then Adaware 6. after running both of those, I ran spysweeper and it found three that the other two programs (which each found one) did not catch.

What is everyone else using?

pmreed
09-14-2004, 09:10 PM
Spysweeper and Adaware

Phil

Greg K
09-14-2004, 09:51 PM
...new version of Ad-Aware SE

Ed Donnelly
09-14-2004, 11:39 PM
Ad Aware SE,Spybot,Spy Sweeper,Window Washer 5,Rogers Hi Speed Self Healing( A service provided by my server)...Ed

Patti
09-14-2004, 11:42 PM
I have Ad-Aware and Spy Sweeper & Spybot :)

ToonaFish
09-15-2004, 12:42 AM
I'm unprotected. Unless you count that dude named Norton.

Formula Jr
09-15-2004, 01:55 AM
I like Underwear. Oh? wait, no; thats not cool, NO! I don't like underwear! Absolutely not! Unless underwear is now cool! .....is it still cool? Or was it never cool.....I forget...... :)

I have mixed feelings about people that explote software flaws. This goes back a long time for me...... I liked ROM based OS. You shouldn't have to change the OS every 12 minutes, Ala MS and Apple OS. infinity. The OS was just what that machine did, not the latest version of a bundled set of applications. My peers at the time said i was crazy, but i think finalizing something to silicone is the least we should have expected, and updating would have been as simple as popping and pressing a chip. And now, a lot easier than even that scenerio.

We are fighting the fluid nature of software. And at times, I think we even came to a stale mate with that appoach.

txtaz
09-15-2004, 10:11 AM
Toona, I have the full set of Norton tools and they do not protect from spyware/adware. I don't understand why because to me they are viruses. Maybe they will get on the ball with the '05 release.
Fish, I use spybot, adaware and spysweeper also. I run them once a week. The best defense is making sure you are visiting sites that are reputable, NEVER click an executable as an attachment in e-mail unless someone has told you they sent one and get a good spam filter. I only "clean" surf and I get crap in my spam box for all kinds of stuff. We order online quit a bit, and I think some companies are selling emails, which get sold and sold. Eventually your email gets to the scum lords. Man I almost got my head taken off one night when Jenn and I were checking mail and one popped up. AND it had my first name in the subject line. So I knew one of the companies I bought from sold it. I just wish I knew which one.
Hope this helps.
Wes
P.S. JR, I have yet to see an EPROM with 200MB memory to hold a core OS. Besides, pressing a button is easier and cheaper that replacing the EPROM. As far as underwear, I think that's a personal issue....TMI....ROFL :beer:

DonziChick
09-16-2004, 02:19 PM
Spybot!

When did this section get added??? Have I been blind for a few days?? :rolleyes:

GKricheldorf
09-16-2004, 06:15 PM
Also i thought i would add that just running the spybot, spysweeper, ad-aware, etc is just not enough. Most of these programs post updates weekly. You need to keep updated to fend off new trojans and spywares. I update ad-aware and spybot on a weekly basis. Just an FYI

Patti
09-16-2004, 06:59 PM
Yup..that's why I update mine religiously :)

DonziChick
09-17-2004, 08:05 AM
No program or combination of programs will ever keep you completely safe. You just have to be smart about it and UPDATE!

Surfer
09-17-2004, 08:15 AM
Spybot / Adwear, has anyone seem the pop up that says "your computer is infected with Spybot and Adwear"? Whats this about?

GKricheldorf
09-17-2004, 09:46 AM
Hey Surfer,

I have seen that. Did you get that on your screen while you were surfing the net? That is an adware popup. If you clicked on it more then likely it installed the adware on your computer. Have you noticed more and more of those popups poping up?

Forgot to mention that the Google toolbar has a popup blocker. It helps to stop the popup ads you get from sites like cnn.com. Those popup ads are just advertisement and not the adware that infects your computer.

ToonaFish
09-17-2004, 10:59 PM
Damn peer pressure. I wasn't ready to mend my wicked ways, but I guess wearing a Webroot spyweeper on my "tool" bar won't totally ruin the act of surfing unprotected...

(It didn't find anything anyway... is it possible that I'm too boring to spy upon?)

GG Donzi
09-18-2004, 10:30 PM
I use Spy Bot, just make sure you upgrade (it's free) to their newest version (I believe it's 1.3). And check for updates on a regular basis.

Marlin275
09-21-2004, 03:23 PM
PERSONAL TECHNOLOGY
By WALTER S. MOSSBERG

*How to Protect Yourself
From Vandals, Viruses
If You Use Windows
September*16,*2004;*Page*B1

If you use a Windows personal computer to access the Internet, your personal files, your privacy and your security are all in jeopardy. An international criminal class of virus writers, hackers, digital vandals and sleazy businesspeople wakes up every day planning to attack your PC.

And the company that controls the Windows platform, Microsoft, has made this too easy to do by carelessly opening numerous security holes in the operating system and its Web browser. Even if you install the recent Service Pack 2 update to Windows XP, you will still be vulnerable.

As I have said before, I believe Microsoft and the computer makers should be taking care of all these problems with a unified, managed approach that would free users from having to learn about all the threats and constantly manage security. They should take responsibility for shielding users from hackers, spammers, viruses and spyware -- the malicious software that hijacks your browsing and searching, pushes ads into your face, and secretly logs your activities.

But until that happens, you will have to fend for yourself. So here's a quick, rudimentary guide to protecting yourself in the digital world.

Opting out: The single most effective way to avoid viruses and spyware is to simply chuck Windows altogether and buy an Apple Macintosh. Apple's operating system, Mac OS X, is harder for the criminals to infect, and the Mac's market share is so small that hackers, virus writers and spies get little thrill, financial gain or publicity from attacking the platform.

There has never been a successful virus written for Mac OS X, and there is almost no spyware that targets the Mac. Plus, the Mac is invulnerable to viruses and spyware written for Windows. Not only is it more secure, but the Mac operating system is more capable, more modern and more attractive than Windows XP, and just as stable.

Macs are as good as, and often better than, Windows PCs at doing the most common computing tasks: Web browsing, e-mail, word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, photos, music and video. The Mac version of Microsoft Office can handle Windows Office files with ease, and it produces files that Office for Windows handles effortlessly. Apple's computers are also gorgeous.

But switching platforms is expensive, and scary to people. So if you're sticking with Windows, read on.

Halting hackers: Buy a software firewall program, one that won't only stop hackers trying to get in but will also halt suspicious programs already on your PC from trying to send information out over the Internet. The one I recommend is ZoneAlarm, a free utility from Zone Labs, available at www.zonelabs.com. Use it instead of the wimpier built-in firewall Microsoft supplies.

If you have a broadband connection or a home network, make sure your modem or router (a common piece of networking gear) is equipped with a feature called NAT, or Network Address Translation. This technology makes it harder for criminals on the Internet to find your computers. Even if you have NAT, however, I still recommend you have a software firewall program, because NAT doesn't block every attack.

Curing viruses: You must run a strong antivirus program, and keep it updated, even if updates cost money. I recommend Norton AntiVirus (the stand-alone program, not the cumbersome security suite). It's very effective, and its automatic update system is the best I've ever tested. It costs $50, including a year of updates.

Stopping spyware: Since antivirus programs don't attack spyware, you will need to run, and keep updating, a separate piece of software called an antispyware program. I recommend Spy Sweeper from Webroot software, at www.webroot.com. It costs $30, including a year of updates. Like an antivirus program, it not only detects and removes spyware already on your PC, but also watches for, and blocks, new spyware.

Stuffing spam: Buy a decent antispam program. I know of none that is close to perfect, but the best is probably MailFrontier Desktop, available for $30 at www.mailfrontier.com. If you're really fed up, you can turn on the "challenge" feature in this program, which forces unknown senders to pass a simple test that baffles the mass-mailing software spammers use.

Browsing safely: I suggest dumping Microsoft's Internet Explorer Web browser, which has a history of security breaches. I recommend instead Mozilla Firefox, which is free at www.mozilla.org. It's not only more secure but also more modern and advanced, with tabbed browsing, which allows multiple pages to be open on one screen, and a better pop-up ad blocker than the belated one Microsoft recently added to IE.

Being careful: Never download software from the Web unless you are certain you know what it is and that you want and need it. If a Web site says you need some special plug-in to view things, be very wary. Common viewer software, like that from Real Networks, Apple or Macromedia, should be obtained from those companies' official sites.

Staying current: You should probably install Microsoft's new SP2 update, which does improve Windows security -- although it has caused serious problems for a minority of Windows users. And you should install all the "critical updates" Microsoft issues for Windows.

Bottom line: If you use Windows, you're asking for trouble. But you can mitigate the risk by taking precautions.

Write to Walter S. Mossberg at mossberg@wsj.com

donzii22
09-29-2004, 06:08 PM
I use web root spysweeper along with
Ewido Sercutiy Suite--Features of the ewido security suite

Screenshot Anti-Virus programs offer insufficient protection against urgently growing threats like Trojans, Worms, Dialers, Hijackers, Spyware and Keyloggers.

That's where the protection of the ewido security suite starts and supplements existing security applications to a complete security system, because only a complete security system works effective.

Download now for free!

plus-version Realtime monitoring of the entire system with a guard working at kernel layer
plus-version Memory Scan detects active threats
plus-version Self-protection guarantees gapless monitoring
plus-version Scan inside archives
plus-version Secure detection and deletion of DLL-Trojans
plus-version Generic Hijacker protection
Automatic online-update
Daily database updates
Patch proof by using strong signatures
Analysis tools (startup, connections and processes)
Intelligent online-update
Generic crypter detection through emulation
Generic binder detection
Free E-Mail-Support
Automatic Cleanengine
Quarantine for suspicious files
http://www.ewido.net/en/?section=download