PDA

View Full Version : Good DVD Burning Software

GKricheldorf
09-14-2004, 06:39 PM
Yippie - i'm the first to post in the new section.

I found the really good and FREE dvd burning software. I have been using DVDXcopy, but this seems to be faster. Be sure to use good quality DVD media. I have been using DVD+R - it seems to work better then DVD-R

http://www.dvdshrink.org/where.html

Fish boy
09-14-2004, 07:52 PM
WoooHoo, I am the second one Here!!!!! Thanks HM for this section, and thanks in advance everyone who will contribute.

GKricheldorf,
thanks for the link, I have been looking for good dvd burning software. Do you have a suggestion as to a manufacturer of good media?

GKricheldorf
09-15-2004, 09:07 AM
Fish Boy,

I have found from experience that Memorex, Sony, HP and most "name" brands work great. Stay away from the no name or no label kind. The company i work for imports alot of stuff from overseas. We bring in many different types of media and although the no label or no name generally works fine, there are always the ones that fail during a burn. And it usually happens to me when i go do something else for 45 minutes only to return to see Burn Failed, Insert another disc.....

Fish boy
09-15-2004, 09:13 AM
Kewl. Are there differences between tv dvd burners and the ones you run on th eputer? the reason I ask is that I have a dvd burner (dvd-r) that I repalced my vhs with. problem is that from time to time, the burned disk will hang up during playback, sort of like someone hit pause. I thought that maybe it was the media I was using but thought I would ask. Any thoughts?

fish

txtaz
09-15-2004, 09:53 AM
Wooohooooo, 3rd to post here. Thanks HM for the section.
Here is a good link for DVD info
http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
I use DVDXcopy Gold ($40) on my mutimedia desktop. I have had no problems with it at all.
Fish, Does your set top player "pause" when you play a rented DVD? If not then the problem is with the recording buffer being too small. Which means the input stream (video/audio) comes in faster than the recorder can write to disk which fills up the buffer memory. When the input buffer is full, you lose the input stream (it gets dumped). The way I record analog signals (TV/VHS/etc) to digital media is by using an Adaptec VideoOhh Video A/D converter and record direct to hard drive. I think it was about $150. It plugs directly into your video source and USB2 port. Once you are done recording you can touch up the file. i.e. remove comercials, fades, lighten/darken, the usual stuff.
I use an HP DVD recorder and only good media. Stay away from generic stuff. I have wasted 1/4 of a 300 pack of CDr's before and ended up giving the rest away. Recording is time consuming so why worry about saving a couple of dollars when you would have to do it 2 or 3 times.

donzii22
09-15-2004, 08:10 PM
i use alcohol 120 % along with nero ultra and also use dvd shrink
and dvd xcopy platnium ,it also depends on just what u need to do
i use memorex dvd + rws that way if i make a mistake i can erase it and start again ,also have used imation dvd+r's and have used ritek dvd+r .the + r's are more Compatible with todays home units