PDA

View Full Version : First major setback

Cuda
09-14-2004, 05:26 PM
Today after I sprayed the white paint, I pulled the tape off the black that was making my black stripes. A lot of the paint came off with it. :frown:

I guess I didn't sand it down well enough for good adhesion. I'll have to sand that whole area back down (black and white) and start all over again. :frown:

gcarter
09-14-2004, 06:11 PM
Joe, you're learning a lot. By the time you're satisfied, you'll know everything TO do and NOT to do. :smash:
This is wonderful experience.
Good luck. :frown:
Better for that paint to come off on the tape than in the water the first time you launch. :boat:
:wavey:

Fish boy
09-15-2004, 12:20 AM
Sorry to hear about the paint Cuda. Sucks to take 2 steps forward and one step back, but keep the faith brother, it will be beautiful when you are done.

Fish

Forrest
09-15-2004, 09:49 AM
I'm no expert at painting, but I've always carefully pulled the fine-line tape while the paint is still wet.

Maybe Scott Person can jump in here and set it straight on dealing with tape.

Cuda
09-15-2004, 08:33 PM
I pretty sure it's because I didn't sand a lot of it. It was in excellent shape and I figured I could shoot right over it. I didn't take into account that wax might still be on it.

I read on another board someone saying that polyurethane isn't very hard. Whoever said that has never tried sanding it off! Where it stuck, it really stuck!

rchevelle71
09-16-2004, 12:10 PM
I pretty sure it's because I didn't sand a lot of it. It was in excellent shape and I figured I could shoot right over it. I didn't take into account that wax might still be on it.

I read on another board someone saying that polyurethane isn't very hard. Whoever said that has never tried sanding it off! Where it stuck, it really stuck!
I think what they meant is that urethane remains flexible, but YES, it is hard to sand off.

Dont forget to use a Wax and Grease Remover(if its primered), or Acetone(if over old gel) before spraying!!!

gcarter
09-16-2004, 07:31 PM
Dont forget to use a Wax and Grease Remover(if its primered), or Acetone(if over old gel) before spraying!!!
Something I learned the hard way, is if you use any of these chemicals on 'glass, wait an hour or two before shooting paint as the 'glass is quite pourous and absorbs quite a bit of them. I shot right after cleaning and the paint literally ran off the boat. :banghead: :confused: :bonk: :bawling:

Cuda
09-16-2004, 09:12 PM
Something I learned the hard way, is if you use any of these chemicals on 'glass, wait an hour or two before shooting paint as the 'glass is quite pourous and absorbs quite a bit of them. I shot right after cleaning and the paint literally ran off the boat. :banghead: :confused: :bonk: :bawling:

I've been wiping everything with naptha prior to painting. :(

Lenny
09-18-2004, 11:00 PM
Not that this helps any, but in gelcoat, I pull my tape the second I put the gun down. Try not to pull it off one angle or the other as they make "little" Dairy Queen whips and they fall into the unsprayed area.