PDA

View Full Version : Cutting SS steel hoses

tmdog
09-14-2004, 08:39 AM
I know some of you owners have replaced hoses to ss braided line. There has to be a more efficient way to cut the braided line other than using a hack saw. If anyone has a better method let me know. What about the an fittings? Best way to insert in braided hose , other than brute strenght. I think a lot of members would like to change over to braided line but is to labor intensive. Not to mention price.

gcarter
09-14-2004, 09:08 AM
My plan is;
I've already temporarily installed the ends on the engine.
I will then measure the hose lengths with pieces of heater hose and cut them.
Next I'm going back to the hose/fitting supplier and let them cut the hose to length.
Also I'll pick their brains as to installing the ends.
My $0.02. :wrench:

Forrest
09-14-2004, 09:54 AM
I've cut braided stainless steel hoses using a Dremal rotery tool and a small cut-off wheel. Sill, wrap tape around the hose where you want to cut and cut through tape. Hose shops often use a chop saw with an abrasive cut-off wheel.

If the ends of the hoses are not frayed the connectors go together easily using a little oil to help. Be aware that aluminum AN hose-ends are not USCG approved and can corrode out quickly when salt water gets between the fitting sleeve and the stainless-steel braid as shown in the picture below.

txtaz
09-14-2004, 10:11 AM
I had my last set done at NAPA for a few bucks. They cut and installed the fittings.
Hope this helps.
Wes

Bob
09-14-2004, 10:16 AM
What are the advantages of stainless hose? Looks great but how do you inspect the condition? Probably a dumb question but I don't get it. :confused:

tmdog
09-14-2004, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I heard the fittings w/ ss hoses corrode in salt because of the incompatibility of the 2 metals involved. Fortunitly this will be for fresh water use. Sometime ago I tried to install fitting onto frayed ss hose and ended up w/ bloody fingers from all the puctures. The hose won and never finished install. Since I have a short memory, I want to try again. :bonk:

Greg K
09-14-2004, 01:25 PM
Stainless hose ends and fittings are available if corrosion is an issue. With a little practice, making up hoses is a piece of cake. Go for it...:smash:

gcarter
09-14-2004, 01:59 PM
I'm useing plated steel ends on Aeroquip hose. I know they'll rust eventually, but not from dis-similar metals like the aluminum ends.

harbormaster
09-14-2004, 04:13 PM
When putting together the anodized 2 piece aluminum ends (earl's) be sure to buy the white thread lubricant. It helps keep you from stripping the threads.