PDA

View Full Version : Redone 18' Classic

DonziChick
09-13-2004, 10:22 PM
Dad and I (mostly Dad-JerryEisele) finally got the 18' done this summer and got around to taking pics of it. We had to put in new stringers, transom, and the gel was so faded that the guy thought it needed to be painted. Dad buffed it out and I'm amazed at how it came out. Its an 1986. Its a blast to drive!

DonziChick
09-13-2004, 10:24 PM
Oh yeah and we put on thru hulls, an SS drive and a drive shower

Lenny
09-13-2004, 10:35 PM
Gorgeous Liz, the Honey and Blue. Seems we are right back there again today in 2004.

VERY NICE Jerry !!! :yes:

Magicallbill
09-13-2004, 10:46 PM
Your 18 is cool. Your Dad told me about it when we talked last. I am the guy who owns your '68 16 that he sold my son last fall.
I thought it would be ready this year but the guy working on it has other things goin' on so it'll be next spring. I am having it completly restored, and I'll send you pics when it's done. All the parts will remain, the boat needed to be re-done structurally.
I told your Dad we'd get together for a run with the boats, but scheduling is a problem as I'm in the entertainment business and I work weekends. That's why I can't make the Lake Erie Bash, or any other for that matter.
However when the 16 gets done I'll meet you all and take it out. I'll bet it would be fun for you to take a ride in that boat again.
Hope Lk. Erie is calm for you for your get-together.
Bill

Cuda
09-14-2004, 12:09 AM
That is one fine looking 18! Did you have new seats made?

DonziChick
09-14-2004, 06:32 AM
Magic Bill - definitely, just let us know when its done. I loved our 16

Cuda- I don't know if those are the original seats but I wouldnt be surprised if they are. I know for a fact that we did not get them replaced. The guy who owned it before us never used it, the guy before that only put a few hours on it, and then it was the original owner

ITTLFLI
09-14-2004, 07:02 AM
This and all of Jerry's boats are immaculate! He takes all winter and details the heck out of them! Of course Donzi Chick help also! Everytime I go over to help him he has DC in the bilge!!;)

I think I will send mine his way this winter!! :jestera:

Fish boy
09-14-2004, 08:12 AM
Wow Liz, it looks incredible. Hard to beleive it is a 1986, looks new. What did your dad use to buff it?

DonziChick
09-14-2004, 08:20 AM
I know, I can't believe it looks that good either. Close up, there aren't any nicks or scratches either. I am 99% sure he used Aqua buff on it.

He can do amazing stuff with that. Our old 22 that is red and honey was almost pink when he got it and it looks great (Its now Jim Besst's boat). I know we have some before pics on the 18 but they aren't digital. It was really faded when we got it.

Red Rocket
09-14-2004, 09:49 AM
Tell use more about your Dad's buffing technique's and the use of "Aqua Buff". I have a red 22 Classic that will need some attention this Winter. Your 18 is awesome...particluarly the blue. Thank you~

DonziChick
09-14-2004, 09:54 AM
Thanks. I'll have to have him tell you the full detail. I just follow behind with the rag :) He should be back in town tonight or tomorrow.

From what I can tell though, he has a buffer with two pads that turn, and he just buffs a LOT. There may be something more to it than that, but I don't know it. I know people either love or hate Aqua Buff. Its always worked really well for us. You can use it for planes, boats, cars, etc. I believe though that you have to buy it by the case or gallon or some large increment.

and yes ITTLFLI knows me well! I usually am in the bilge. Dad says I fit better than him. I've got the paint and apoxy on my pants to prove I painted it too :yes:

Bigbroadjumper
09-14-2004, 09:57 AM
Looks great!

RickR
09-14-2004, 10:02 AM
Beautiful!!!!!! My favorite color combo for a Donzi :biggrin.:

Liz, after your experience with an SS on Cumberland I would think you would opt for another type of drive :eek:

DonziChick
09-14-2004, 10:09 AM
One would think so... and after my experience at Lake St. Clair! I don't know if you heard or not, but I was idling along, minding my own business... and managed to suck seaweed up the intakes and over heated it. We just tied it up to the dock at MetroBeach and came back to get it later. Luckily, nothing was damaged and I noticed gauge in time. Thanks to Randy, I got myself in a boat, and still enjoyed the day.

We haven't had any problems since and Jamie broke his again all on his own so maybe my string of bad luck has been broken. I certainly hope so! I like the SS drive. You can feel it spin and kick in :D

cigarette30
09-14-2004, 10:59 AM
Gorgeous Liz, the Honey and Blue. Seems we are right back there again today in 2004.

VERY NICE Jerry !!! :yes:

I would say, smiling.....

DonziChick
09-14-2004, 11:03 AM
is that a 2004 Cigarette30? I know that they started making them with the plexiglass windshield again and in honey. The honey color is a little different though :)

Yours is a good looking boat. Too bad we can't put them side by side :)

Cuda
09-14-2004, 11:37 AM
From what I can tell though, he has a buffer with two pads that turn, and he just buffs a LOT. There may be something more to it than that, but I don't know it. I know people either love or hate Aqua Buff. Its always worked really well for us. You can use it for planes, boats, cars, etc. I believe though that you have to buy it by the case or gallon or some large increment.

:yes:

Aqua Buff works great, and you can buy in in 16 oz jars for around $10.

boldts
09-14-2004, 04:11 PM
What a beauty! I looked at a Minx in that color combo back in 86 or 87. Can't remember now. It's my favorite for sure. If you haven't had the pleasure of meeting Jerry Eisele yet, he's a great guy who will teach ya anything he knows. Yes, I received the Aqua Buff lessons from him. He even loaned me his buffer when I did my 18 a few years ago.

Red Rocket
09-15-2004, 09:35 AM
Where can you get Aqua Buff ?? I hope it's at a nationally known Marine/Auto Parts store. (??)

MOP
09-15-2004, 04:59 PM
The only statement that comes to mind is! "How Sweet It Is"

Jerry Eisele
09-15-2004, 08:06 PM
Cig 30', we saw your boat leaving the plant this winter when we were in Florida. Great looking 22'!!! Thanks for all the compliments on the 18'. We do recieve some nice comments when we take it out. As far as the buff job. First wet sanded the boat with 1500 wet sand paper. Second, buffed it with med. grit dupont compond. Third, buffed with Aqua Buff. Fourth, sealed with Dalfinite sealant. That is the original interior, just cleaned up.
Thanks again.