PDA

View Full Version : Engine or outdrive problem

metraman
09-12-2004, 07:39 PM
I've developed a nasty noise I haven't had the boat long enough to know how it all works. I checked rockers, valve springs, push rods, compression and distributor gears. It all looks fine and dosen't have any noise spinning with the starter. Could the outdrive make noise while in neutral or anything back from the block? The bravo 1 has 200 plus hours. I ran out of day plan to drain the drive tomorrow. It was hard to tell where the noise was coming from and it was killing me to let it run.
Thanks

RickR
09-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Although the cone clutch is in the upper gearcase, the upper gears still turn when neutral.

Noise in the rear engine/drive area could also be gimball bearing or ujoints.

Mr X
09-12-2004, 07:57 PM
It sounds like it is the coupler. It connects the flywheel to the drive via a rubber donut with metal splines in it, that the upper drive shaft slides into. You would have to pull the drive and then the engine to replace it.

metraman
09-12-2004, 08:28 PM
So is there a manual that shows all this? When I drain the drive will there be anything to see something that will give me a clue what to do next?

Mr X
09-12-2004, 08:31 PM
You do not have to drain the drive oil to pull it off........
Yes you should try to find a service manual for your engine and drive.

metraman
09-12-2004, 08:35 PM
The boat drove just made a lot of noise do you still think it's the coupler?

Mr X
09-12-2004, 08:44 PM
Yes, it will make noise for a while......maybe for a few running hours, then it will not turn the propellor anymore.
It wont hurt anything when it lets go, it just wont turn the drive anymore. You might over rev the engine when it lets go......be ready with your hand on the throttle.
It could also be what RickR says too.........in that case it would hurt it to run it at all.......
I would pull the drive and turn the drive shaft by hand, and feel and listen to it.

You can also damage the linkage to the shift cable when you pull the drive if you dont do it right!!
Get a manual!!!!!!

Cuda
09-12-2004, 09:26 PM
I don't know if this applies, but check these two threads.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35670&highlight=knock

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36013&highlight=knock

scott snider
09-13-2004, 09:20 AM
you didnt describe the noise very well. but i know from experience the gimbal bearing is a item which can go bad and will produce a lot of noise and vibration thoughout the boat. the bearing usually goes bad from a leaking bellows. if you keep operating the boat like this it could do alot of damage including taking out the coupler. they are not to difficult to check but can be a little difficult to replace especially if you dont have the tools. to check remove you outdrive reach inside though the bellhousing with your fingers rotate the bearing back and forth also pushing foward and aft at the same time the bearing must rotate perfectly smooth. if there is any roughness the bearing is junk and must be replaced. you can also take a flashlight and inspect the splines on your drive coupler. look at the splines they should be square edges if they are sharp do to wear the coupler is junk. the couplers can go bad from inproper engine alignment some times do to a loose engine mount? good luck hope this might be some help. scott

GKricheldorf
09-13-2004, 09:29 AM
Yea - I would not just run the boat either until it breaks. If a gear tooth breaks up and lodges itself in the gears it can seize your drive shaft and that will burn up the coupler. Not a big deal to fix, but the exgine does need to be removed. Not to mention that black, sticky as hell, goup that is created when this happens. Removing the drive is easy. I would start there.

metraman
09-13-2004, 10:58 AM
I don't know anyone in the area I can trust to do the work. Anything special to take the drive off just 6 bolts and a few lines. about 150 lbs? Someone said something about linkage is that a issue when the drive comes off? I want to thank all of you for the info this has not been a good couple of weeks. If anyone knows a good mechanic around Wayne Michigan and would be interested in some extra money. I would be more than happy to pay and help. 734 516 4792