PDA

View Full Version : BOATER'S WORLD- Sleezy S.O.B.s!!!

Fish boy
09-11-2004, 06:14 PM
Most people know Boater's World is a National Marine supply company like West Marine. Most of you also know there is a major Hurricane (Ivan) coming this way and we just had another major Hurricane (Frances) last week. What some of you may not know is that once a State of Emergency is declared (such as now and during the last two hurricanes) it is ILLEGAL to "Price Gouge"- raise the prices on goods people need to address the State of Emergency. In this case it is the Hurricanes.

Now to why Boaters World Sucks the Bog One! Last week I went into Boaters world to buy some 1" lines to tie up the other fish boat. Lines were in very short supply and flying off the shelves as people prepared for Hurricane Frances. Finally found some 3/4" on a roll at Boaters World for $.89 per foot. Yes it is expensive, but I had no other choice. That was last week.

I go into another Boaters World today and buy two more 100' 3/4" lines. Guy tells me $.99 per foot. I say hey it is cheaper at your store on the south side. He tells me it was $.89 last week but they just raised the price. I jokingly say I better call Charlie Crist (our state attorney general who is aggressively prosecuting price gougers). Guy says yeah, I kinda thought it was unfair to raise the prices right now. I tell him not only unfair but Illegal. He says well, they brought that up to their boss and he told them that the way to company is "Getting around the law is to raise the price at all the stores nation wide."

WTF!!!! Get around the law... does that mean the way they take advantage of those who are in dire need of supplies because there is a Category 5 hurricane coming?? Humm lots of folks in Fla buying rope to try to save their boats, How can we F--k them and make more money from the fact that they are recovering from one hurricane and facing an even bigger one- I know raise the prices on rope- just how do we get around the law so the government does not do the same thing to us that we are doing to our customers.

OK, I had to vent somewhere, thanks for listening. Those who prey on natural disaster victims are the scum of the earth; guess that is why it is illegal in Fla. Then again, Boaters world is clever enough to figure out a loophole to get around the state's protection from predators during a declared emergency.

Congratulations Boater's world, you are extremely clever. You managed to get an extra $20 from me today. Too bad I spend a few thousand a year on boat stuff... just not at your store anymore.

fish

Formula Jr
09-11-2004, 08:05 PM
Wait till you get old enough that they ALL piss you off..... :)

I don't see the problem with this. Supply....Demand...vote Republican, Yeah!! Preserve the free market!!!! Jed's a communnis!

TuxedoPk
09-11-2004, 09:26 PM
I wouldn't be happy about paying an extra $20 more than the next guy but the % increase really doesn't sound like gouging--- at least not NY style which would have been at least 50% markup. (Really big storm would require presenting your boat's registration to base the gouging on the value of the boat you're trying to save ) :wink:

Walt. H.
09-12-2004, 01:57 AM
Fish,

Add :uzi: West Marine to your list, because they own Boaters World. :fire:

I would file a complaint with them directly so that customer service will offer you discount credit vouchers on your next purchase, and complain to West Marine their now parent company for more discount vouchers from them. :yes:

What goes around, comes around. :toiletpap :bonk:

All the Best to ya!

Walt :crossfing :checkered

gcarter
09-12-2004, 08:14 AM
Fish, you're the attorney here, I don't know didley about this stuff.
But what you described is an 11.24% increase.
What if their cordage supplier had to raise their prices because their normal supplies had dried up, and then what if the truckers are charging more because of demand for anything that rolls and can carry cargo.
Is the store expected to incure a reduced profit because of increased costs to them?

fasttrucker
09-12-2004, 10:43 AM
west marine/boats u.s. are the places I shop.Went to Boaters world to buy two batterys for my boat.They told me that I could only buy one,since thats all they had in stock.So I asked them to order another one for me.They told me they could not do that as battery are a haz-mat item.The "girls" working the cash reg. are so dum.as not to know they have a truck that comes in every week to deliver the batterys.I walked out and wont go back...wasted my time,pisses me off! :kaioken:

Fish boy
09-12-2004, 01:40 PM
1. What is Price Gouging?
Florida Statute 501.160 states - It is unlawful during a state of emergency to sell, lease, offer to sell, or offer for lease commodities, dwelling units, or self-storage facilities for an amount that grossly exceed the average price for the commodity the thirty days before the declaration of the state of emergency or the seller price for the commodity the thirty days before the declaration of the state of emergency unless the seller can show increases in its prices or market trends justifying the price. Examples of necessary commodities are food, ice, gas, oil and lumber. This is a civil crime enforced by the Attorney General, the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services and State Attorney.

2. How do I know if I'm being price gouged?
The law compares the price of the commodity or service to the average price charged over the 30 day period prior to the declared state of emergency. If there is a "gross disparity" between the prior price and the current charge then it is price gouging.

This is the plain and simple version of the law I was referencing. Whether there is "gross disparity" I would guess is a matter for the courts to decide (12%), however, my point is that there is a national chain who is knowlngly trying to screw people in a time of need. I believe their actions are dispicable.

Did not know West and Boatewrs World are owned by the same company. I would imagine a similar sleezy price gouge by West is taking place, but hav no independent knowledge since they were sold out of large ropes.

Just think their actions and attempts to skirt the law are deplorable. Off the soap box for now.

fish

boxy
09-12-2004, 06:56 PM
During the Ice Storm in 1998 there was a guy selling firewood by the cord. He tripled his price as soon as it became evident that the power wasn't coming back on anytime soon. The Ontario Government showed up, guessed at the number of cords he had, paid him his previous price, took the wood, gave it away, and then charged him under the same type of law Florida has.

NO Patience
09-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Most people know Boater's World is a National Marine supply company like West Marine. Most of you also know there is a major Hurricane (Ivan) coming this way and we just had another major Hurricane (Frances) last week. What some of you may not know is that once a State of Emergency is declared (such as now and during the last two hurricanes) it is ILLEGAL to "Price Gouge"- raise the prices on goods people need to address the State of Emergency. In this case it is the Hurricanes.

Now to why Boaters World Sucks the Bog One! Last week I went into Boaters world to buy some 1" lines to tie up the other fish boat. Lines were in very short supply and flying off the shelves as people prepared for Hurricane Frances. Finally found some 3/4" on a roll at Boaters World for $.89 per foot. Yes it is expensive, but I had no other choice. That was last week.

I go into another Boaters World today and buy two more 100' 3/4" lines. Guy tells me $.99 per foot. I say hey it is cheaper at your store on the south side. He tells me it was $.89 last week but they just raised the price. I jokingly say I better call Charlie Crist (our state attorney general who is aggressively prosecuting price gougers). Guy says yeah, I kinda thought it was unfair to raise the prices right now. I tell him not only unfair but Illegal. He says well, they brought that up to their boss and he told them that the way to company is "Getting around the law is to raise the price at all the stores nation wide."

WTF!!!! Get around the law... does that mean the way they take advantage of those who are in dire need of supplies because there is a Category 5 hurricane coming?? Humm lots of folks in Fla buying rope to try to save their boats, How can we F--k them and make more money from the fact that they are recovering from one hurricane and facing an even bigger one- I know raise the prices on rope- just how do we get around the law so the government does not do the same thing to us that we are doing to our customers.

OK, I had to vent somewhere, thanks for listening. Those who prey on natural disaster victims are the scum of the earth; guess that is why it is illegal in Fla. Then again, Boaters world is clever enough to figure out a loophole to get around the state's protection from predators during a declared emergency.

Congratulations Boater's world, you are extremely clever. You managed to get an extra $20 from me today. Too bad I spend a few thousand a year on boat stuff... just not at your store anymore.

fish
Big Deal...thats nothing, 10 cents.

NO Patience
09-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Big Deal...10 cents thats nothing. Gouging would be 10 dollars. Call me and i'll send you the 10cents.I know it's the point but thats not gouging.

boxy
09-13-2004, 04:26 PM
As Bill Murray said in Caddy Shack

"It's a little harsh ........"

:rlol:

marcdups
09-13-2004, 05:33 PM
Port Supply is the main culprit seems like, back where I come from originally if a storm was about to hit they would sell their products at 10% over cost to cover expenses, all which I think is fair, Home Despot and lowes should do the same to help folks, IE some folks only have $$ for 2 sheets of ply in their wallets or should I say pockets at one time, so help ypur neighbours, they will come back with pleasure.

:banghead: :banghead: stupidity is beyond me !!

Fish boy
09-13-2004, 05:45 PM
Big Deal...10 cents thats nothing. Gouging would be 10 dollars. Call me and i'll send you the 10cents.I know it's the point but thats not gouging.

Hi no patients, thanks for the offer of the $.10, but I think your math is a little off. It was actually $20 (or 2x what you consider gouging). "Price gouging" is a term used for an activity that fits the definition/prohibition set forth in the Florida Statute. Boaters World's recent price hike fits the definition IMHO, but perhaps you and I went to different law schools and subsequently prosecuted criminal acts in different jurisdictions.

Anyway, my post was to point out an unscrupulous act by a vendor that many of us use. I personally am not a fan or a supporter of this sort of activity, but different strokes for different folks. I do appreciate your generous offer though, it is good to know there are good folks like you out there willing to lend a hand. :boat:

Fish

Ed Donnelly
09-13-2004, 07:44 PM
Ouch....Ed

NO Patience
09-14-2004, 05:35 PM
FISH BOY...You have way to much time on your hands. You need a vacation dude. I think your trying to impress everyone with your law degree. Go home tonight and have your wife pour you a double.

Fish boy
09-14-2004, 05:50 PM
Think I'll do that NP. So how about that $20 donation to help support the board Mad Poodle mentioned??? I would be happy to match it.

Fish

Cuda
09-14-2004, 06:12 PM
FISH BOY...You have way to much time on your hands. You need a vacation dude. I think your trying to impress everyone with your law degree. Go home tonight and have your wife pour you a double.

Nothing like some great input from a new member. I don't know how we got along without you. In regards to your screen name, I'm sure you're wearing thin on other member's patience already.

Walt. H.
09-14-2004, 07:20 PM
Cuda,

He sure is!!!!! and he gave himself the correct handle "NO Patience" and no camaraderie either!
N.P:
It isn't nice to push peoples buttons that have had their skin worn thin after three major storms in such a very short time with another one knocking on the door.
Fish you have my understanding and your back is covered.

Walt :checkered

Rootsy
09-14-2004, 08:27 PM
must be that vegas sun.. it has him parched beyond dehydration and it is shriveling the ole brain... :splat:

me on the other hand... i have to agree with ya Fish... raising the price in order to benefit increasingly from those in dire need of a product because you can at this time is not only ethically inappropriate but also morally inapporpriate...

i think a blowtorch and a pair of pliers would be fitting punishment...

Donzigo
09-14-2004, 08:39 PM
Fishboy.......LOL.........gotta love the Fishboy. Hey, I'll throw in another 10 cents, too. It's worth the laughter. :wavey: :jestera:

Formula Jr
09-14-2004, 11:59 PM
Fast Trucker, that's quite the observation there on the BW register clerks being less than knowledgeable. Come to think of it, EVERY Boater's World I've ever been to had young, attractive girls running the registers. Maybe they are the Hooters of the marine supply world? Fish Boy. I don't get hurricans in my neck of the woods, but we did have a building boom from '95 to '97 that sweep the shelves clean of ply and decent lumber for a while. No body marked it up, you just couldn't get any. Every time there's a big storm in the east the same sort of shortages happen here TO THE NATIONAL CHAINS like Home Depot, but not our local building supply stores. What do you people do with all that ply wood between storms anyway? By now, shouldn't everyone have a set they can reuse?
I just cringe when I see all the really nice yachts washed up sideways on a beach or revetment wall and know that that boat most likely was only used once or twice a year.
.89 a foot for 3/4? Hemp, nylon, what? My local "boat" store is a buck nine per foot for fine braid nylon 3/4. And is the same line I can buy for 30 cent a foot else where. Just not at a "boat" store.
You do point out something larger though, for too many people, everyday is "price gouge day" when they fill out a prescription drug.

http://www.epud.net/%7Eowen/candrugs.jpg

NO Patience
09-15-2004, 11:08 AM
Wow...I didn't know you guys got your feelings hurt so easy. Relax it's just good clean Razzing. I thought I was talking to a bunch of guys but my mistake ladies I take it back.It's hard to tell the gender of someone from posting but I really thought you where all a bunch of guys kicken back, nothing against the ladies I love ya's and if I had known you where women I would not have been so brass...I TAKE IT BACK. Fish... you got it. Twenty bucks seems a little low how about I'll pony up $100.00 if you will. As for Florida my sister lives in Florida and I do feal their pain everyday. I have already donated to the DRP of Florida and I plan on helping those people as much as I can. So how about it Fish $100.00 ? OR how about I match you. You name the price and I will match it whatever $100.00$1000.00 your call. Life is way to short. I plan on going boating this weekend and haveing fun. This will be my last post. Sorry if I hurt anyones feelings. :wavey:

Fish boy
09-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Thanks NP I think the $100 is a much better idea. I just made my donation (pic below for verification), hopefully you will keep your word as well and match. It really is a great site, perhaps you just started off on the wrong foot. Welcome to the donzi registry, hope you decide to stay.

fish

Patti
09-15-2004, 11:57 AM
I can assure you..Rootsy is all man :biggrin.:

If anyone would know..it'd be me ;)

NO Patience
09-15-2004, 12:02 PM
I tried to make the donation but it asked me for a pay pal credit card account. I do not have this type of card nor have I heard of them. I don't use my credit card on line only checks.Can I send a check? I will mail it out now. Is their an address posted ? No hard fellings here Fish. You seem like a straight shooter and you are a man of your word.So am I. If I have to use my card I will but would rather not. Thanks again.

Walt. H.
09-15-2004, 12:10 PM
NP,

For a 47yr old you're talking like a 7yr old little girl yourself. :propeller

Your still on-line after over 3/4's of an hr, don't let the door hit ya on the way out and don't trip over your bouncing b.s check.

Safe boating, you'll need it with all the friends you make, who is going to tow you in. :rlol: :jestera:

Rootsy
09-15-2004, 12:15 PM
I tried to make the donation but it asked me for a pay pal credit card account. I do not have this type of card nor have I heard of them. I don't use my credit card on line only checks.Can I send a check? I will mail it out now. Is their an address posted ? No hard fellings here Fish. You seem like a straight shooter and you are a man of your word.So am I. If I have to use my card I will but would rather not. Thanks again.

NP,

i think i've seen your boat around eh... Is it the all black one with the white stripe right? or is it the other one with the big yellow stripe down the middle? looked like the same guy driving...

JR

Fish boy
09-15-2004, 05:49 PM
No hard feeleings here either, welcome to the registry.

here is the address to donate:

The Donzi Registry,
2323 Clear lake City Blvd#180-253
Houston Texas 77062

Make checks payable to the Donzi Registry.

NEVER ENOUGH
09-16-2004, 06:36 PM
HI everyone ...New here. I have read the last few post and I think Fish and NO Patience both make good points. Anyway hello to all. I hope you decide to stay NP you seem to make for good laughter. I was laughing so hard at the two of you in a good way of course. I just sold my proline boat for a Donzi. I have the new need for speed.

gcarter
09-16-2004, 07:20 PM
Well welcome to the bored! OOOPS!
We seem to be getting more Donzi owners from the Left Coast.