PDA

View Full Version : Trailers!

MOP
09-11-2004, 08:50 AM
Just read Bryan's post which is the second post on his long dragging out problem with the manufacturer, I know his frustration and the powerless feeling one gets from being tossed aside after the checks in their hands.

We need a recommended section with rating ability, where member can give their pros and cons! Perhaps with a legal disclaimer stating poster bears responsibility for post content.

When it comes to aluminum trailers what many do not realize is the hundreds of sellers of aluminum trailers buy ALL the main parts from just a few suppliers. Anyone can go into the aluminum trailer Biz damn near over night with a lot less cost then one would imagine.

Many do their best to turn out a good product, but being in the Biz like many on the board I hear stories constantly. I can't name names there are just to many.

Another important point comes to mind, I hear way to many stories about the "I" beams cracking at the forward radius. The trailer and boat when loaded should be a unit with no flex what so ever, good setup and proper securing of the bow with a sturdy ratchet tie down is essential. If the bow can be seen moving up and down when towing you WILL crack your trailer. The bow roller should come to rest above the eye securly against the hull and the eye, then from a point below secured from the eye to the trailer with a ratchet strap. No matter even on short tows the bow ratchet strap should always be in place and tight, it is more important then the stern tie downs. I do very few long tows each year and am only about 1/4 mile to my ramp and never fail to tie down tight.

Fish boy
09-11-2004, 10:11 AM
if you did the rating system, might want to have a minimum # of posts before you can rate since everyonce in a while a vendor pops up on here, logs in and tries to pedal his goods (like the guy who claimed to make donzi windshileds and then was never heard from again). It would prevent a vendor from doing the same thing and giving themselves an excellent rating they may or may not deserve. Might also bring some of the lurkers out of the closet as well :)

TuxedoPk
09-11-2004, 11:06 AM
(like the guy who claimed to make donzi windshileds and then was never heard from again).

I heard the big money is in speed wax ;)

gero1
09-11-2004, 07:57 PM
needed a spindal for my trailer, local price 40.00 with no plate to bolt brake plate to,on line thru eagle trailer web site found axis spindal in elkhart i.n probably drove by this place 2000 in the last 3 years in the truck never knew it was there, 8.90 with plate plus 10 to have it cut out rewelded in. many trailer co. use only 2-3 places to get their parts

Formula Jr
09-13-2004, 03:13 AM
There use to be a section in one of the mags I subscribed to called, "Stuff That Works."
I liked that approach to reviewing things as you are only presenting things that actually do work, or represent a good value, instead of exhaustively listing all the things that don't work and maybe a few that do. I think its also important to differentiate "a product" from what ever service you received from the local vendor of that product.
The product might be good, but the customer service associated with the product could be marginal or bad.