PDA

View Full Version : What kind of diesel engine is this?

Jamesbon
09-10-2004, 03:26 PM
What kind of diesel engine is this? I want to compare my limited info. against your opinions. Is this thing worth anything if running or if it needs rebuilding?

I'm looking @ a basket case boat...

BUIZILLA
09-10-2004, 03:55 PM
Nate , that's a Perkins T6.354, maybe a Range 4 variety. I have worked on hundreds of them....

The engine serial number is stamped on the side of the block and will start with TU********* then we can determine the series, and horsepower. It could be a 165, 200 or a 240hp. There is a nameplate on the injection pump with a bunch of numbers, as well as the turbo, I can then identify it better with that information. Each hp rating had a different pump and turbo number. That engine could very well be an older T6.364 first series of 160hp if it's a non wet turbine housing, which would be a 3LD model turbo. It looks to have the front cover style tach generator which would be an older engine, maybe late 70's...also the plumbing for the turbo to intake manifold is rather crude looking :shocking: The 165-200-240 engines were aftercooled.

The expansion tank says PERKINS cast right into it. Pretty darn popular engines, very, very reliable with care. My dad was the master distributor for Perkins down here, before Tradewinds Power took over the territory.

Jim