PDA

View Full Version : Power lack in the midrange trottle position

Stephane
09-08-2004, 06:08 AM
I have a 350 OMC 260hp carburated. The points and spark plugs are new and the dwell is adjusted at 30 deg with an advance at 8 deg. The engine run at 160 deg.

The engine is easy to start, the iddle is smooth and at w.o.t. i reach 4400 rpm.

When i push the trottler from idle position to w.o.t. the rpm goes down around 2000 rpm for a couple of second and raise up after until 4400 rpm.

With this kind of performance it is not easy for a skier to get out of the water.

Is it a problem with my jetting, acceleration pump, timing, carburator float ????

mikev
09-08-2004, 11:34 AM
sounds like a bad accellerator pump in the carb or it is not adjusted properly which would cause a lean condition when you yank open the throttle plates. a good test for this when you slowly move the throttle to wot does it bog down? if it does not it is the accelerator pump.

Trueser
09-08-2004, 11:47 AM
I have two rebuilt carbs that came off my 350 Mags.

Make me an offer. I can ship out quick if needed.

Mike

Stephane
09-09-2004, 06:37 AM
I am gone a make the test that MIKEV talk about before removing anything.

In any case i will remove the carb this winter. After sixteen years of good service it maybe a good idea to give us a little clean up and adjustment ! ;)

mikev
09-09-2004, 08:44 AM
If the carb is that old it probably is time for a rebuild that will fix the problem if it is the accelerator pump. try this before a rebuild becuse my old carb used to do that after sitting all winter. Go to walmart and get a couple of cans of b-12 carb cleaner and dump it in your fuel tank. 1 can treats like 20 gallons but I alway double the amount they say to add and run it for a day that always seamed to clear it up. by the second trip out. guess it needs to sit for a while with that stuff soaking in tha carb. I usualy dump in a couple of cans every 3-4 tanks of fuel just to keep it running right. it is great stuff us it in the truck as well.