PDA

View Full Version : Deck-off...Day 4/5

Tony
09-06-2004, 08:05 PM
Day 4 was spent topping off the foam level (since I ran out on Day 3), trimming it flush, and doing other odds & ends before re-attaching the deck. After trimming the foam I coated it with resin and painted it grey.

Day 5 had myself and two brothers aligning, dropping, securing, and tabbing the deck back onto the hull. It went very smoothly, and I am glad I had the opportunity to do some glasswork...in spots where few will see!

I called out the measurements to my brother who prepared the tabs on a piece of wax paper. It was best to align the tab carefully, pressing it into place with minimal fussing. The more I messed with it (like the awkward ones on the ski locker) the dryer it became, requiring brushing on more resin. Of course this is probably something most glass guys already know. Ideally the wax paper is left on during cure, as it leaves a nice smooth finished surface. The ones in the storage locker were easier to access, with two flat 90 degree surfaces, and turned out very nice.

Here's more pics...the one that doesn't seem to belong is just me being glad that my boat is home at last. Also, check out the nifty way I cleaned the dust off the bottom of my sight glass!

Jerry Eisele
09-06-2004, 08:18 PM
Looks great Tony!!!

MOP
09-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Very sanitary looks great, Hmm I can see 30 guys running out to make your sight glass cleaning tool!

penbroke
09-06-2004, 08:28 PM
Nice job! :yes: And you wanted to hire it out....

Frank

Tony
09-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Yes, Frank, I did wonder what this job would cost hired out. Between my brother and I we have approximately 100 hours of labor invested, plus about $750 in materials.

At a conservative shop rate of $50/hr. a tank replacement might cost $5k to $6k...but would not include the incidentals that I took care of while the deck was off.

Another evening or three to re-connect the engine and I will be back on the water. Wooooo-hoooo!

RickR
09-08-2004, 06:58 AM
GOOD JOB :yes: You're making a GREAT DONZI even better :biggrin.:

roadtrip se
09-08-2004, 08:12 AM
Come get her wet and enjoy the fruits of all that labor if you can!