PDA

View Full Version : 67' donzi.....in the driveway

Yellowdonzi67
09-05-2004, 10:25 PM
Ive got a '67 16 footer thats been sittin in my driveway all summer :bawling:. First goes the carb, and with a busy schedule it was 2 weeks before it was back in....Im thinkin, yess i have the day off, im going to start her up and spend some quality time with my baby....Annnnnd well there goes the raw water pump. Ive been doing my homework and found the original impossible to find. it was a pulley driven Sherwood on a 302 Ford. But now I think im going the bolt on route, and moving the battery a couple inches forward. Any of you have any input or advice? I know when its impeller time its going to be tough, but ive heard bolt ons have higher water flow and are just plain stronger...again any of yuo have any experience or input on how to do this?

penbroke
09-06-2004, 08:58 AM
I was able to find parts to repair my Sherwood belt driven pump in my Ford powered '66 18. Took some digging but parts are available. If it looks like this one I should be able to hook you up with sources for parts and info.

Frank

Yellowdonzi67
09-06-2004, 08:36 PM
Thats definatly the one, but again ive heard you get better performance, or more bang for your buck outta the bolt ons. Any comments or suggestions?

marcdups
09-06-2004, 11:09 PM
this company may be able to help

http://www.depcopump.com/

Rich
09-07-2004, 04:59 PM
penbroke...............

Is that a glass bowl I see on the bottom of your fuel pump?
If it is, I highly recommend you change it to a new style metal bowl. The glass bowl pumps aren't even legal anymore. If the glass cracks, you may end up with a bilge full of gasoline.
I also had one in my '66 2+3 and I couldn't get insurance with it. The marine surveyor that inspected my boat for the insurance company told me I'd have to upgrade the whole fuel system to current standards as per the following:
Steel Terne tank - replace with aluminum tank
Unmarked fuel lines including fill hose - replace with marine grade fuel line
Fuel Tank vent - replace with one that has an insect screen
Fuel pump - Replace with one that has steel bowl
Obviously this was all for my own safety.

Biskit
09-07-2004, 09:50 PM
Penrose: Have you got any pictures of your boat? I'm a guy who likes the original early Donzi's and have been keeping pictures of them. Yours looks like one I saw in a pre restored stage at one time. Thanks, the biskit

penbroke
09-08-2004, 07:14 AM
The photo is not of my boat. Just the best photo I had of the type of pump in question. Good advice tho...

Frank

rickrsbro
09-08-2004, 08:23 AM
i use a straight thru sherwood on one of the sbf. vince or richard at discount inboard (skidim.com)can get you a simple cast bracket http://www.skidim.com/images/R090008_THUMBNAIL.jpg for a belt driven sherwood pump

http://www.skidim.com/images/ra057007_thumbnail.jpg

(they have a chrome one for the same price if you need blingage.)

or the parts to swap/repair your crank drive. they might still have the rebuild kit for the old style plastic housing. i have one laying around somewhere if you need it.