PDA

View Full Version : Donzi ZX compared to a Scarab 23SCS

Donzidreamin'
09-04-2004, 07:34 AM
Hi guys and gals-

Although I don't post much I visit here often fulfilling my cravings of soon owning a Donzi. As the reality sets in that owning the classic lines of a 22c is slipping farther away, I'm dealing with a wife who really needs a cabin for her and our baby(which hasn't even happened yet...) :rolleyes:, I need to seriously start thinking about cabin boats. 22ZX!! This is not really that much of a compromise but you all understand.

I was wondering how the 22ZX compares to say the Scarab 23SCS? I realize of course the Donzi is perhaps a better built boat with greater value retained over the life of ownership, etc., but side by side they are similar in size, cabin, nice lines, big block power offered, Bravo 1.

Is this comparison like a Corvette or Viper to a Mustang or Camaro? Although all the vehicles are quick and nimble, with loud rumbly exhaust, and nice lines, is there an exclusivity to the Donzi's to the production Scarb model?

These were just some thoughts I had as I begin my quest for hopeful Donzi ownership. Please enlighten me...

Darrell
09-04-2004, 09:31 AM
Maybe a Porsche to Fast Corvette.......

I had a 1999 Scarab 23SCS 502efi, this I was told that was a rare combo for that year. The boat is fast and nimble, it gets some of it's speed from the 12" rear pad. The boat is cramp for space, hard to get in the 3ft cabin (you have to go under the pass. side dash in front of the pass. seat), and because of the left hand steering and the controls being between the seats, the cockpit is really good for just a couple of folks.

As far as the fit and finish the ZX is much better, and the fiberglass hatch was allways a issue with my wife, she loves the big padded hatch of the ZX.

Don't get me wrong the 23SCS is a blast to drive and I left a many a boats in my wake with it. But for our family the 26zx has been a great choice.

Darrell

P.S. The guy I sold it to has now added CMI's and SuperCharger to it, It must be a wild ride now, He is claiming 90+.

LKSD
09-04-2004, 05:14 PM
I had a scarrab & sold it. It was a great boat & built very well. However the ride & handling of the Donzi In my opinion is hard to beat.. Either way both are great boats & the important thing is to enjoy them.. I am loyal to Donzi's model above all others but there are also other companies that build great boats too.. Have fun & sun soon !! jamie

Shanghied Again
09-04-2004, 06:09 PM
My couisin had the 23 Scarab and I had the 22ZX with big power, before I supercharged, I ran his boat down in big water, he couldn,t handle it his boat chine walked at 70mph my boat was supercharged and didn't chine walk at 80. I ran the Hudson Poker Run and he couldn't. My choice would be a 22ZX over a 23Scarab anytime.

GarDog
09-06-2004, 09:24 AM
I have A 1997 22 ZX going up for sale this week. It is a Carb 454 with no step. I will try to attach Pics if I cant e-mail me at brent_g@bellsouth.net. First 21K gets it.

Garland