PDA

View Full Version : West Wight Potter

TuxedoPk
09-03-2004, 09:24 PM
I've been taking the GT out every day for the past 2 weeks and each day I see an incredible looking green 1970 West Wight Potter P-15' sailboat sitting on a trailer at the marina.

Today I had a chance to meet the owner and learn a little about the boat and am really thinking about purchasing one. I've never even been on a sailboat in my life but I'm planning on taking an adult education sailing class this year and would love to learn just for the fun of it.

It is amusing to realize that if I learned to be a 'sailer' in just 3 weeks I'd have saved enough money in fueil to fully pay for the boat!

Has anyone had any experience with this boat or highly recommend an alternate smal sailboat? I'm just looking for a cool toy to learn and teach my nephews how to sail on the lake by my house where I can't have gas engines.

gcarter
09-03-2004, 09:37 PM
Haven't seen one in years. I think it was originally a British production boat. Mind you I'm talking mid 60's. Supposed to be extremely seaworthy.
Considering your powerboat background, you might find something else with a little more performance. I've been out of sailing so long, I can't make any suggestions though.
Sailing is a lot of fun, but can be a little frustrating sometimes.

TuxedoPk
09-03-2004, 09:46 PM
Considering your powerboat background, you might find something else with a little more performance...
Sailing is a lot of fun, but can be a little frustrating sometimes.

I've got to laugh when I hear 'my powerboat background'... I'm still green but I have learned a hell of a lot since my first time behind the wheel at Cumberland. The experience has come at a price-I'm probably averaging $700/week in fuel.

BUIZILLA
09-03-2004, 09:55 PM
The experience has come at a price-I'm probably averaging $700/week in fuel.
dammmmmmm, that's about 350 gallons a week...
at 8 gal hour, thats about 45 hours non stop in the boat every week, or 6.5 hours, non-stop, every day...
That's a LOT of weekly seat time... :spongebob

JH :umbrella:

TuxedoPk
09-03-2004, 10:19 PM
dammmmmmm, that's about 350 gallons a week...
at 8 gal hour, thats about 45 hours non stop in the boat every week, or 6.5 hours, non-stop, every day...
That's a LOT of weekly seat time... :spongebob

JH :umbrella:

At $2.56/gallon out here that's 'only' 273 gallons/week -- 39 gallons/day since the weather has been really great and I've been getting out on the water every day.

I know I'm running a bit rich but I'm not getting anywhere near 6.5 hours or running time on 39 gallons- not even close.
The GT's 468 burns fuel like there is no tomorrow when I have it running 4500 rpms or better which is most of the time I'm running the boat. I know I'd get better fuel economy if I cruised at 3500 rpm but between the boat's weight which I start each day with a full tank of gas (a Cumberland lesson) and the drag with the V-drive I need to be running 4500-4900 rpms just to be hitting 50mph.

BUIZILLA
09-03-2004, 10:25 PM
running 4500 rpms or better which is most of the time I'm running the boat. and the drag with the V-drive I need to be running 4500-4900 rpms just to be hitting 50mph.
that poor engine... :eek:

TuxedoPk
09-03-2004, 11:42 PM
that poor engine... :eek:

Just got off the phone with Jamie. He ran some quick calculations that estimated if my 468 is turning out 500hp (an estimate since it hasn't been dynoed) I'm burning 40gph running WOT. In any case it explains why I'm needing to refuel every 2 hours of running time with a 60 gallon fuel tank.

Q. Why your comment as to the poor engine? I can see me becoming poorer with seat time, but what is your concern about the engine and the amount of fueil it is burning?

Jamie also ran the BAM calculator and estimated that I should be running at 70 mph with my 12" 15 pitch prop. Between the drag and slip I'm running at if I remember his quote correctly a 26% slip factor.

Someone please remind me how "Cool" V-drives are....

BUIZILLA
09-04-2004, 07:24 AM
Q. Why your comment as to the poor engine? ....
running that engine at 4500 all_day_long is a trial in wear and tear. Depending on what heads you have, I would think a cruise rpm of 3200-3400 would suffice. Then again, i've never owned a v-drive, so I may be talking out of turn here...

I would NEVER run an engine like that though, regardless of configuration.

JH

gcarter
09-04-2004, 08:52 AM
Hi Tux, your'e boat is essentially an inboard and as such you have a transmission. If the transmission ratio is 1:1, then it is impossible to run some more efficient props, and 35% slip isn't unusual.
However, if you were to change the transmission, assuming the existing transmission is 1:1, to a Velvet Drive 72C with a 1.5:1, or 1.8:1, then you could run some props in the 25" to 30" pitch range(maybe higher).
Velvet Drive also offers a combination transmission/V-drive, which might even simplify the installation.

http://www.velvetdrive.com/techinfo/V7172/V7172pg1.pdf
http://www.velvetdrive.com/techinfo/V7172/V7172pg3.pdf
http://www.velvetdrive.com/techinfo/V7172/V7172pg4.pdf

TuxedoPk
09-04-2004, 09:58 PM
George,
The GT is an awesome boat for what it is but it will never be a speed deamon. If I remember reading an old post a single engine I/O tops out at 60 (w/o putting in TONS of power)
I would have been happy with another 5 mph putting me up to about 57 considering I've got approx. 500hp.

I can't imagine it being economical to switch the trans to a Velvet drive, but I'm interested in learning if I could move up from a 1:1 ratio to a 1:1.5 or higher and reproped the boat what type of performance gain I could expect. Again, I'm thinking that the investment that it would take could be better spent powering up one of my other boats.

gcarter
09-05-2004, 05:32 AM
Tux, theoretically, the drag of the strut & shaft is only a bit more than an outdrive leg, then there's the lack of trim. But remember drag boats are V-drives just loike yours. So I believe the difference is the trans ratio and prop.
There's always a large selection of used/reconditioned VD trannies on the market. Just as there is for standard hub props, so the cost shouldn't be excessive.
IMO, it would be worthwhile climbing in and looking for a ratio tag on the existing trans. If it is 1:1, then there's a lot of potential yet to be tapped.

mattyboy
09-05-2004, 07:03 AM
sail boat,
well just think of the money saved on bent props and rudders :) oh sailboats still have rudders well atleast props.;)

I don't understand or should I say I never got the whole man and the sea and the wind thing, what do you listen to while your sailing along, the wife bitchin, the kids screaming, I think blow boaters are sitting there holding the tiller and doing their best motorboat sounds as the sail by ;)

no wind, no tunes , just the sound of an old ford for me :)

mattyboy
09-05-2004, 07:25 AM
Scott,
I love the sound of a man made wind produced at 50 mph due to a lack of windshield,
the natural wind is not fun,

I hope you and Heidi are safe as are all our southern family,

take care be safe

txtaz
09-05-2004, 07:26 AM
There is a huge difference between sailing and power boating. Plus blow boaters usually don't take well to power boaters. BUT, if you insist, rent a few boats to test out and make sure it's for you. I agree with the "more performance" comment. You would want to be competitive with something like a J-24. The excitment for sailors is in going to regattas and competing. It's a slower kind of sport. For me it's not too bad once in awhile. I don't think I would invest in it though. Also, you will need a place to keep it.
Blow boaters remind me of the judge in Caddy Shack. I don't know why, it just does.
Hope this helps,
Wes

Craig S
09-05-2004, 10:07 AM
my brother's got a Potter. Quite a boat. Different. But Friendly. And simple. Ponts well for its size and draft, and is a piece of cake to trailer. Fixed keel boats (like the J) are unpleasant at the ramp.

TuxedoPk
09-05-2004, 09:08 PM
sail boat,
well just think of the money saved on bent props and rudders :) oh sailboats still have rudders well atleast props.;)

Oh yee of little faith... like I can't get into a whole new world of problems sailing. By the way, I should be able to clear the overpasses on the Palisades with the mast up, right? :)

Taz- For me it's more of about learning the basics of sailing.. puttering around on my local lake where I can't powerboat than about performance and racing. With me, think less of Caddy Shack and more of Chris Farley :)

Craig- Does your brother have the P15 or the 19? What do you mean by quite a boat- different? I've also read that it is friendly and forgiving but haven't heard the comment about being more of a challenge at the ramp.

Lenny
09-05-2004, 09:18 PM
Tux, if you want to have fun sailing then buy a cheap 16-18 Hobie Cat or Olympic 20. The cats are an absolute riot and you do go "fast". 20 mph is very common. Plus the exercise is great too.

I have had a few blow-boats, and, well..., hiking gear/trapeze is a must have, it adds a ton of fun to the game, and two hulls just fly.

My $.02. The "J" boats are all over here too, they are a very competitive class but too big for what you want. The Cats weigh very little and pack a lot of sail area.

Craig S
09-05-2004, 09:59 PM
Gotta read Sailing on a Micro Budget by Brown(?). great book. One of the Donzi members slogans says something like "a boat on a trailer is better than one tied to the bank" Thats what the book is about. And the star is a p15

My brother's is a 15. He has also had a couple of Compac 16s. Good looking but dont point worth sh___.

Personally, I like relaxing boating ... Jimmy Buffett, beer, and relaxation. I never felt that relaxed on a multi or J. My J 24 experience was as crew for the Wednesday regattas in Corpus Christi. Great sailing, but the Capt was hyper. Personally, i would only want one of those if i could leave the mast up - either in the water in a slip or on a trailer without taking it down. But I am lazy.:outtahere

dr
09-06-2004, 04:25 PM
TuxedoPk : If you’re interested in a small, fun sailboat. I have an older fiberglass boat made in East Germany by Zep. I’ve not been able to find much about the manufacturer but the boat has a long and colorful history. It was given to me by a dear friend and sailing purist so that I could teach my daughter the art and love of sailing She’s now 22 and will be attending graduate school at NYU this fall.

The only requirements made of me was that when I tired of it I find it a good home with someone who would introduce others, preferably kids to sail and that I give it to them. The new owner must be willing to do the same.

The boat is small, sloop, daysailer with small storage. Sails and stays are in good shape, hull is OK, but the wooden parts IE, trim, rudder has been left out in the weather for a couple of years and in need of attention. I have a trailer. I live in East Tennessee.

If interested please send me a email.

Steve Harwood-Stamper
09-07-2004, 03:00 PM
I couldnt belive my eyes guys.
What is that doing over here (or is it over there?). :bonk:
I was stopping over on the Donzi in Cowes on the Isle of Wight for the Harmonsworth trophy amongst other power boat racing.

The name west wight Potter just brings it all back.

Do you want to see some of the race photos?

What are the dimension limits for posting.

harbormaster
09-08-2004, 08:24 AM
Steve
Post as much as you want. No limit. The software will probably limit you to how many photos you can put in one post. But you can continue it in a new post. Lots of photos are a good thing.

Steve Harwood-Stamper
09-08-2004, 01:59 PM
OK heres some of the Cowes powerboat week. Just gone by.

The 'week' started on Wednesday, probably because of the need for the tides to be right, or a cockup by the organisers any way...
Going out to the Start.