PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing outdrive

gcarter
09-03-2004, 04:58 PM
Back in January of this year I asked the following question;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33112

And Rootsy was kind enough to respond.
Well, my Alpha drive was in pretty poor shape asthetically. It seemed to be OK mechanically. The boat had been in salt water, it had bottom paint on it with black paint on top of that. :shocking:
So I started cleaning the outdrive. I dug corrosion out of all the pits, primered, filled the pits, primered again. Sanded the entire area with 400 wet.
I live in Lake county Florida and since there's no PPG dealer around, I had to use the R-M equivalent;
primer- R-M EP789 epoxy black primer w/ zinc chromate.
paint- R-M UNO-HD single stage, two component, high solids, acrylic/urethane paint. Ebony color.
I finally put the drive shaft case and gear case back together for the first time since disassembly, and hung it temporarily on the gimbal housing.
All of this probably represents about 100 hours from start to finish.
I'm glad I had this experience but I don't want to do it again soon. :wrench:

Cuda
09-03-2004, 06:29 PM
Looks fantastic George, Donzigo will be proud of you.:)

100 hours???? It's already due for another rebuild! :eek:

tmdog
09-03-2004, 06:56 PM
Excellent job, George. Hope to even get close to your perfection when I do mine this winter.

gcarter
09-03-2004, 07:30 PM
Looks fantastic George, Donzigo will be proud of you.:)

100 hours???? It's already due for another rebuild! :eek:

Yep!
Joe, if it weren't a hobby, it would hardly be worthwhile :banghead:

Cuda
09-03-2004, 08:25 PM
Yep!
Joe, if it weren't a hobby, it would hardly be worthwhile :banghead:

Well, let's do the math. New Alpha $2200 divided by 100 hours is $22 an hour. That's a lot better than what I'm making with my paint job! :D

Rootsy
09-03-2004, 08:41 PM
Looks good George...

i've found i prefer sandblasting the hosuings now a days vs stripping mechanically.. it si much easier :)

someone around you handles PPG... just have to find em... but your method appears to be just peachy so enjoy!

JR - in need of REFINISHING :umbrella:

gcarter
09-03-2004, 09:21 PM
Looks good George...

but your method appears to be just peachy so enjoy!

JR - in need of REFINISHING :umbrella:

From you Jamie, I'll take that as very high praise indeed!

gcarter
09-03-2004, 09:24 PM
Well, let's do the math. New Alpha $2200 divided by 100 hours is $22 an hour. That's a lot better than what I'm making with my paint job! :D

Joe, you're doing great for a first attempt, particularly since you've not painted before.
You just kick yourself a few times and keep learning. :cool!:
Painting is not easy, and good results are really hard to get.

Nmbr1GMfan
09-03-2004, 09:39 PM
For those of you near a powdercoater, after all those hours of prep you may want to look into having your drives powdercoated. TODD

gcarter
09-03-2004, 09:52 PM
This is something I considered, but the drive was still fully assembled, and I think it has to be pretty much clean castings to do it.

Nmbr1GMfan
09-03-2004, 10:02 PM
Yes that is correct, free of any bearings and or seals. And since they are cast they would go thru a high temp pre heat (outgas) process before the actual coating is cured. TODD