PDA

View Full Version : Overheating

Ed Donnelly
09-03-2004, 01:09 PM
The criterion overheats above 2500 rpm, but drops back down to 160 at idle. Thought it might be the seawater pump. Installed a NEW one for 1,000 islands. Did the same thing all weekend. Someone mentioned I might have installed it 180 degrees out.(inlet at the top instead of the bottom) Rotated it 180 on Wednesday and took it to the lake. Now no water at all comming out of the exhaust. Just rotated it back to original and am heading to the lake. Will start pulling one hose at a time to see if I can see a restriction some where. Open to any and all suggestions...Ed

MOP
09-03-2004, 02:18 PM
Ed are you running drive or transom pickup? I think I picked that you run an inboard not drive pump, in any case a back flush is always a good idea on any boat with transom pickuo or a drive pump. If you suck through the drive one of the water grammets may have gone south.

Phil

rickrsbro
09-03-2004, 03:56 PM
my strainer catches the larger objects, but sometimes the tranny cooler and engine oil cooler get clogged.

if any hose clamps are loose, the raw water pump will suck air and make her run hot. checked the inside sealing surfaces of your suction line(S) and the strainer o-ring if you have one. a good temporary test is to put a clear hose between the raw water pump and the stat housing and check for bubbles.

i guess you could fill the bilge with a little water and suck from there to see if the drive/pick up is the resrtiction.

180 out and it would have overheated at the ramp, but installing the vanes backwards is a possiblity.

did you munch the previous impeller? sometimes an impeller can look good, but be sheared from thr drive hub. been there and took that apart twice.

good luck.

gcarter
09-03-2004, 05:21 PM
Had a car thermostat stick closed one time. Only it got REAL hot. :splat:

BUIZILLA
09-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Ed, your water pump has a very specific mounting.. dependent on rotation... look on the back for a rotational arrow by the INLET port, the arrow is cast into the housing. To run it in reverse, you have to flip the pump port configuration on the bracket.

JH :wink:

Ed Donnelly
09-03-2004, 05:45 PM
Look for new post YIPEEE.....Ed