PDA

View Full Version : Stereo head unit / speaker install?

DoTheMath
09-02-2004, 01:16 PM
So, after a bit of lamenting, I have decided to install some tunes in my '04 18C and was interested if anyone had done this? I noticed that Donzi prewires the boat for the head unit as well as the speakers with the cutouts in the side panels. My hesitation comes in cutting a nice big ole hole in the dash, however I don't want to put a unit in anyplace else. I have a nice Dewalt roto-saw (similar to the Roto-zip) so it would be a nice easy cut and all. Has anyone done this and experienced cracking afterward? And what size speakers did you put in the side panels? The holes look to be about 5" or so, so is a 6 1/2" speaker possible, or would I need to go with a 5 1/4"? Trying to figure out what would be standard fare if ordered from the factory... I thought I could live without the music, but it has been tough, I must admit - I need some tunes!:)

Ranman
09-02-2004, 04:28 PM
Go with (4) 6.5's (2 up front and 2 in the rear). I use Alpine Marine 6.5's, but there are several good quality marine 6.5's out there. Cut the square in the dash and use a marine radio shield. hopefully, someone elsw will give you pointers on the cutting part. If you really want to outdo yourself, add an amp or 2 and a 10" Bazooka tube way up at the front of the ski locker. I'll try to post some pics of my setup when I get the chance.

I'm running a Kenwood MP3 head deck, Punch 75 X 4 four channel amp a Punch 150 X 2 two channel amp (Bridged mono to 300W), 4 Alpine Marine 6.5"s and a 10" passive Bazooka tube way up front firing forward. This system rocks for an 18 Classic.

Surfer
09-02-2004, 05:58 PM
Ranman, where did you mount your power amp? I've installed four BOSE marine speakers and a Bazooka also, and it kicks, but you can't hear it at speed...Need more power. There is plenty of room in the cockpit sides to mount almost anything, the BOSE have a real deep backbox, and fit easaly.

txtaz
09-03-2004, 08:36 AM
I mounted my equipment under the deck. I used a Pyle 1200 watt 4 channel marine amp and a Clarion marine powered sub. Should have gone Bazooka. One thing you should do that I didn't on the initial install is to red locktight the screws or epoxy them in so the don't pull out of the case. Like mine did....
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5610
I also mounted the amp with 8 (vice 4) screws because it was heavier. BE CAREFULL not to use too long of screws, you could punch through the deck.
The first pic is type of cover most people use.
The second is a JBL marine AM/FM/CD that I don't care for one bit. I should have gone with an MP3 deck. The JBL gets hot and then none of the functions work. You have to pull the face off just to turn it off. Piece of #$*%$%. Randy, how do you like your Kenwood? I'm using the line level outputs into the 4 channel amp and 1 set of speaker level outputs to power the amp/sub. The sub has speaker level inputs even though it has an internal amp which made the install easier.
Hope this helps.
Wes

MOP
09-03-2004, 09:22 AM
Donzi does a real good making the dash strong, cracking of the gel should not be an issue from the cut out. The screws are the big problem they tend to lift the gel and pop out chunks. The best way to avoid this is to drill the hole to the correct size then remove the gel around the hole, by hand twist a larger drill bit in the hole until you remove the gel out past where the screw can grab it. If you have concerns about the cut out causing cracking lightly file it until smooth, it is rough edges that get cracks started. Many cracks start from holes or rough edges

Barry Phillips
09-03-2004, 09:38 AM
I now how you feel, I mounted a grab handle on my 18's dash and my heart was in my mouth. The trick is, be careful and measure 3 times. I would put wide masking tape on the area you are cutting, so you don't starch the finish with the tool, also file any sharp edges off of the holes you cut with a slight angle biased to the outside, this should minimize stress cracks in the jel over time. Use a fresh bit and be aware of the deft were you are cutting. The dash panel is fairly thick and should be wood cored, although Donzi has eliminated a lot of wood in their newer boats, so seal the edges.

I don’t like to give speaker advice because listing taste is so subjective, but check out MB Quart marine speakers, I installed the automotive versions in one of my cars and they sounded great. Also the above mentioned Bose system is a ported design so they only require a 4”cut out, but again be aware of your back clearance. Lastly don’t use your roto tool on the interior combing pads, it could pull the vinyl, I would carefully pre-cut them with a razor blade first. Good Luck and measure.

DoTheMath
09-03-2004, 03:14 PM
Thanks for all the good info guys! I have done some massive systems in the past in my Formulas, I was just looking to keep this one simple, two good speakers in the factory spots in the panels and the head unit. I was just interested in what would fit where and the best way to cut the dash. I was thinking of Babb speakers and not sure on the head unit yet, but either way I'll throw the cover on it to protect it. I'm not a big fan of the "marine" head units as they are always of poor quality, no matter who makes 'em.

Thanks again for all the info and I'll let you know how I make out, gonna add this to the new prop and a set of Victory tabs to-do list that I have going, should be a fun winter!!:smile:

Richard McCoy
09-05-2004, 10:12 PM
A few months ago I posted a list of things to use to install pop up cleats use this same list to cut the hole for the radio. The roto saw does not work well. Use a large hole saw to cut the holes for the speakers. If you are going to open up existing holes, fab. a jig to hold the pilot drill in the center by puting ply wood behind the hole and screw down careful to miss the inside of the saw. You would need 1/2" drill motor.