PDA

View Full Version : Don Aronow-Chris Craft

Mange
09-02-2004, 06:46 AM
Hello,

Need some info about this rare and mystic Don Aronow designed 28ft Chris Craft. My friend are restoring this one and I know its only 8-9 boats built. Does any one know this model, we need more info and pics. (to be sure keep the original style)
This one is build in Italy 1977, Riva Factory.
For 4 month ago one sister was for sale att Oso.
(the hull is the same as 28SS Magnum 27 etc)

Best regards

Magnus W
Stockholm, Sweden

BERTRAM BOY
09-19-2004, 07:23 AM
You might want to post this in the "ask Michael Aronow" section.........

olredalert
09-19-2004, 08:54 AM
--------Boy!....What a great use of cabin space. Driver way back for smoothness and big forward area. Id bet that weight is up for good ride as well.
--------It seems that I have seen these boats a long time ago but cant remember much about them. Certainly didnt know about an Aronow connection, but you can visualize it. Why do you say that the boat was built at the Riva factory? Did Chris-Craft have some kind of working relationship with Riva I have never heard of? If it was built in Europe for European distribution why did it have to have a U.S.Coastguard plack on the drivers console that had Chris-Crafts Pompano Fla. address?
--------It also appears to have had Volvos which isnt too surprising. Very interesting boat!............Bill S

1996Z15
09-19-2004, 05:29 PM
When I was much younger I recall seeeing a boat very similar to this at the Philadelphia in water boat show. I think the year was 1978? It was the same year that the Wellcraft Scarab was released. Anyway, the boat was called the "Spirit Of America" or something like that and they were giving rides to anyone brave enough to go. The water was very rough and it was overcast, cool out. The boat sounded great and was flying; I wish I had taken that ride. The reason I think it was one of these boats is because I remember it being a Chris-Craft and I remember thinking that the seating arrangement was rather odd. Cool boat though.

Morgan's Cloud
09-20-2004, 08:13 AM
When I was much younger I recall seeeing a boat very similar to this at the Philadelphia in water boat show. I think the year was 1978? It was the same year that the Wellcraft Scarab was released. Anyway, the boat was called the "Spirit Of America" or something like that / and I remember thinking that the seating arrangement was rather odd. Cool boat though.

Actually .. now that you mention it I recall seeing the same boat at the New York boat show .. hoisted up in the air at an outrageous angle with the Stars and Stripes paint job ! Although I believe that it was January '70 or '71 .
I doubt though that Don or Riva had anything to do with this boat.
Steve

ALLAN BROWN
09-21-2004, 01:21 PM
Aronow was forever selling licenses to "furriners" to build all manner of Aronow craft. Sometimes, he even forgot to tell the buyers of the companies. Quick Quiz (since his name came up here). What kind of boat, make and model, does Carlo Riva own and use?

Morgan's Cloud
09-21-2004, 01:46 PM
... A wild guess ... A Magnum 63 .. ?

ALLAN BROWN
09-21-2004, 01:50 PM
Clue. He has owned it since 1968.

Morgan's Cloud
09-21-2004, 02:00 PM
Ok. I'll try again ,

A Bertram 31 rare Express Cruiser ?

ALLAN BROWN
09-21-2004, 02:37 PM
Naaah. Wrong side of town......

Marlin275
09-21-2004, 03:13 PM
Donzi 28 Sportsman?

Mange
09-22-2004, 01:54 AM
Allan:
Think you are on right way now.

This one "is" Don Aronows Maltese what he use in a Swedish
offshore race in early 70. Now it calls Arrow 830 (28ft)
This in is a friends old boat. We are building one new now, get back with pics soon.

Please keep talking about this "Mystic Chris Craft"

BR/Mange

Flash
09-28-2004, 04:07 PM
Looks like 28' Cary built in the 70's.

Staffan Berg
10-01-2004, 12:55 PM
What is the difference between a Magnum 27 Sport and Magnum 27 Maltese

Morgan's Cloud
10-01-2004, 01:38 PM
AS best as I can tell the word 'Maltese' was only ever used on the 28 footer as a model designation .
Brownie will no doubt set us straight !
S

half shell
11-05-2004, 08:00 PM
I think the first was a maltese magnum 35.
Then after came the 27, also Don raced several boats with the name maltese magnum and maltese magnum II.
Regards Bob

harbormaster
11-17-2004, 10:39 AM
I remember back in the 80's I was doing boat canvas.
We put canvas on a 51 ft maltese magnum.

ALLAN BROWN
11-17-2004, 12:04 PM
I remember back in the 80's I was doing boat canvas.
We put canvas on a 51 ft maltese magnum.After Aronow bought Magnum back from APECO (for 10 cents on the dollar), and before he sold to Theodoli, he started the 53' Magnum hull. He quickly sold the company to the Italians, and they hired me to be Project Engineer on the 53'. We then built the 45'. I'm talking about 1977 to 1981.

lars
11-18-2004, 06:12 AM
:confused: I hope You Swedish Brothers figured out the story behind this Aronow boat by now. Since it was only one race (Getingloppet) in Stockholm Sweden Aronow would have participated in per year I'd hope there would be some info. around. Does Your friend know who brought this boat to Sweden at a later stage with the Aronow story in the container? As far as I know the only Aronow boat that stayed in Sweden was the one Boghammar Shipyard bought from Don at the race in 1967 and from 1968 to this day build as a stredged 28' in a 32' config. and originally a 28' harttop cruiser. I remember as a kid in the early 70's that a Dr. Ullhammar was providing emergancy medical care running a 28' Boghammar Magnum in the archepelago of Stockholm. What kid didn't want to get sick those days?
Here's a link to some Boghammar built Magnums.
www.magnum28.se
Click on the swedish words on the left under Båtar,Artiklar&Produktblad e.t.c.

P.S. Even Magnum Marine would be proud of the overbuilt standards these where and are built to. D.S.
Allan:
Think you are on right way now.

This one "is" Don Aronows Maltese what he use in a Swedish
offshore race in early 70. Now it calls Arrow 830 (28ft)
This in is a friends old boat. We are building one new now, get back with pics soon.

Please keep talking about this "Mystic Chris Craft"

BR/Mange

Dave911
11-21-2004, 01:49 AM
Great link! Wish someone could translate...
I've got an AQ311 in my Sutphen, so it was great to see the links on the Volvo info, too! Can't imagine the research effort to put that info together. WOw. Dave

Magnum 28
11-22-2004, 02:11 AM
Hello Dave,

Yeah I've really put some time in my homepage. This old boats is really worth it. Wonderful hulls, I have to say.
I'm planning to rebuild my homepage this winter and I will add a smaller section i english so that you and your friends can be able to read some parts too.

Regards

Gesar Peter
02-16-2006, 04:57 AM
Hi,
The Cris Craft you are talking about is Chris Craft 8 MXK
Only 31 Surveyed By Ellerby-Harbart Co i think.
Im not sure.
i hope som one now about this baut.
Here is some pictures.

Gesar.

HallJ
02-16-2006, 12:31 PM
Are any of you Sweedish guys around Goteborg city?

I'll be traveling there in a couple weeks for bussines.
If you guys around the area we could get together
for a drink.

Jeff

Gesar Peter
02-17-2006, 02:00 AM
Are any of you Sweedish guys around Goteborg city?
I'll be traveling there in a couple weeks for bussines.
If you guys around the area we could get together
for a drink.
Jeff

Hi Jeff.

Sorry im in Stockholm.

Staffan Berg
02-17-2006, 07:29 AM
Sorry - I am in Stockholm too.

HallJ
02-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Mabye I'll hop the train and stay in Stokholm for the weekend?

How long is the train ride from Goteborg to Stokholm?
Jeff