PDA

View Full Version : Gimbal Bell Housing Repair ...... Opinions !

Stan
09-01-2004, 01:55 PM
Hi,

Has anyone had any experience having their Mercruiser Gimbal Bell Housing or Gimbal Ring repaired ? I need the repair done to my gimbal bell housing and want some input.

There seems to be a few repair shops that specialize in this work and I would like to know if this fix REALLY does do the trick and for how long.

Any recommendations on shops ?

By doing this repair I can save about $ 300 bucks. I’m not cheap but I like saving money, but I don’t want to deal with this repair twice.

Thx

Stan……..

FABIO
09-01-2004, 02:04 PM
I had mine repaired about 3 months ago (on a 95 Blackhawk LE).........only had the boat out a few times since, but everything seems to holding up great...........here is a link to the dude that repaired mine......... www.mercstuff.com/rebuiltgimbalrings.htm ..... he was easy to work with, and it only took about a week
FABIO

Mr X
09-01-2004, 05:29 PM
Fabio, what was the total cost?
Thanks
Ted

mphatc
09-01-2004, 08:44 PM
I replaced the gimbal ring on my Chapparal 260 HP Alpha a few years back, after ten years of use it was LOOOSE . .

entire job with simple tools took 5- 6 hours in my yard

Do it with new parts . . the expense is not that bad

or search on Ebay for a good gimbal ring . .I've seen them off season for as little as $75.00

Mario L.

FABIO
09-01-2004, 08:54 PM
Ted, I can't find my info right now, but if I recall correctly, it was $375+ return shipping......worked out to right at $400............something interesting: when I was searching the web for info on having this done, the merstuff website came up, but I just contacted the dude directly @ the Crosstech Services phone# listed.......he indicated that he did mostly repairs for dealers/service shops.......based on what I saw locally, I feel that is a pretty good price..............I'm no mechanic, but my mechanic was impressed by the final result (as was I)...............hope this helps
Fabio

Mr X
09-01-2004, 09:47 PM
Fabio, thank you, I will check them out.

blackhawk
09-01-2004, 10:29 PM
I've often wondered if there is a way of developing some type of "insert" where the steering swivel shaft goes through the ring. So when it wears out you could simply replace the insert.

MOP
09-01-2004, 10:47 PM
I have seen the site Fabio posted before it was recommend highly, my local Merc guy uses Ultra Lock on the square say the don't work loose near as soon. Maybe something to give a try.

Phil