PDA

View Full Version : Skeg repair

DickB
09-01-2004, 06:46 AM
A close encounter with a rock took a quarter-size chunk out of the leading edge/bottom of my skeg (Alpha). I saw one of these http://www.skeggardmarine.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=SS
in the Overton's catalog. Has anyone used one of these? Any experience or thoughts on its use?

Ranman
09-01-2004, 07:22 AM
I would consider that a "Yahoo" device. Why not just have the skeg repaired and stay away from the rocks? There's not a lot of damage. It would be an easy fix. The shop here in MI charges $150. To make it easier, remove just the lower unit and take it in so you don't have to drop off the whole boat. The skeg gaurd would most likely scrub off some top end speed too.

scott snider
09-01-2004, 07:30 PM
i think i would stay away from a stainless skag guard. your damage could be easily repaired, a little tig or mig welding to fill the void a little grinding and sanding some paint your done.problem with skag guards is there made of tuff stainless steel you hit somthing and it could likely do a lot of damage to your lower unit! stainless is a lot tuffer material then aluminum and much more difficult to repair.

mikev
09-02-2004, 09:32 AM
I put one on mine did not make any difference in top speed and looks pretty cool sure is a whole lot easier than welding a new one one. took 5 min to install just drill two holes and bolt it on. the bolts are designed to break away before it will do major damage to the drive (atleast thats what they claim in the paperwork that came with it).

txtaz
09-02-2004, 10:23 AM
Here is the one I use.

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog.asp?P=7872

It has already paid for itself. I hit a rock and just pulled it off and pounded it out, good as new. I was told not to use the full type as they will break the the whole skeg off if you hit hard enough.
Wes

Tom Davis
09-02-2004, 12:04 PM
There are trade offs here: The skeg repair is pretty cheap and if you hit something the aluminum is sacrificial compared to the lower drive unit. The stainless will protect the skeg but at what cost. Its like hitting something with a stainless prop or an aluminum prop; the aluminum prop will be mutilated but the shaft and gears may remain intact, But the same hit to a stainless prop will probably take out the shaft and a gear or two in the process. Just my .02

Tom Davis
Winni Bandits

donzi182003
09-07-2004, 11:27 AM
I have used a skeggard on 3 boats and it has been wonderful. My uncle used it on his flats boat and used to ground the motor all the time and it ripped off twice. He used it on a flats boat. My point is that it looks cool and it works great. If you hit the skeg hard enough beleive me it will come off without damaging your lower unit.

MOP
09-07-2004, 03:23 PM
I have installed a few Skeguards but won't take sides, if you go with a S/S guard it should be a full cover with a finished trailing edge, anything that could cause a disturbance to water flow can cause cavitation. The cavitation may not be very noticeable at first but can do damage similar to the prop burn near the hub caused by putting an extra washer under the oil drain screw which raises it above the surface or a pitted drive surface.