PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Frances a concern for Florida

GKricheldorf
08-31-2004, 10:30 AM
I sure hope you guys don't get hit by this one :( - Good Luck !!!

And people are scared to move to California because of earthquakes. I would be scared of hurricanes and tornados myself.

Glenn

Cuda
08-31-2004, 10:34 AM
At least we know the hurricanes are coming. I just bought a chain saw for the aftermath if this one hits. Last I saw, it was headed just south of us.

BUIZILLA
08-31-2004, 11:08 AM
Cuda, if it goes just south of you, that puts you direct in the northeast quadrant, of the worst part of the storm... not a good place to be with all those tree's that could fall on your boats :eek: ... my uncle in Leesburg is slightly panicked with his ultra rare antique planes (one of 3 remaining supercharged Ryan's, and a Stearman) in his hangar :eek: :eek:

Forrest
08-31-2004, 11:19 AM
The latest form NOAA:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT06/refresh/AL0604W5%2BGIF/311513W5.gif

vonkamp
08-31-2004, 11:56 AM
:shocking: Holy s#%t!! I'm buggin out for this one. :banghead: :banghead:

Ranman
08-31-2004, 12:15 PM
I don't want to sound insensitive, but I have an honest question. What does homeowners insurance cost in Florida? I can't fathom the idea of wondering whether or not my house will still be standing after a four month hurricane season year in and year out. Sure it's warm, but my house was built in 1955, and I'd be willing to bet it won't be blown over by a hurricane in the next 50 years. For that matter, tornadoes are pretty rare as well as quakes. The worst thing we get here is a strong thunderstorm. The boating season is short, but really "severe" weather is scarce.

For comparison, my homeowners policy is in the $700/year range and that has doubled from $350/yr from years past. I have to assume that homeowners insurance in Florida should run several times the Michigan rates, that is, unless the rest of the country subsidizes "danger" areas around the country. Is there a penalty to be paid for rebuilding in an area that will most likely be damaged sometime in the forseeable future?

I just don't know that I could live in fear for four months out of the year, regardless of the weather. Then again, if the insurance is the same, and I get a new house every time, maybe it's not that bad of a deal. Comments please...

gcarter
08-31-2004, 12:28 PM
Randy, I take the viewpoint that if there's a 30% chance of rain, then there's a 70% chance it won't rain.
If you look at the actual area of devastation of Charly, it's a very small area indeed.
Florida is a pretty long distance North and South so the chances of the state catching a storm is probably greater than Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, or Mississippi, etc.
But you just can't let that run your life. I've lived in Texas and Florida most of my life and it's really something you take in stride. Like lightening strikes, car accidents, sharks, aliens, etc.
BTW, My house value is $250k-$300K and my insurance is $700.00/yr.
High flood probability areas need Federal flood insurance.
But some areas are higher. I have a friend that lives on Cudjoe Key and he pays over $900.00/month for flood insurance.

BUIZILLA
08-31-2004, 12:30 PM
Randy, my invoice $$$ is about 6 times yours...

Lenny
08-31-2004, 12:37 PM
Randy, we don't have severe weather EVER, mildest climate in Canada, never a hurricane/tornado in history, little rain, high winds (wickedly high) are about 45-50mph. That being said, my home is valued about 375-400 and my home insurance is $1100. I think Insurance Companies, (after many losing their shirts in 9/11) have found a way to collectively screw all policy holders to get some extra dough.

Interesting how they work though. If you are looking for insurance in an area, and your neighbour might have it through a particular company, it is not to say that you will be underwritten by them too if you so wish. They limit their exposure in given gegraphic areas so that in the event of a disaster it is not a situation of "all things in one basket". I would bet that Floridans' and the rest in storm areas have a huge number of Companies to insure through to limit any one Companys' exposure.

gcarter
08-31-2004, 12:57 PM
You know guys, I've been watching the above map since early this morning, and it's heading further North by the minute.
Earlier it was coming ashore South of the Cape.

Surfer
08-31-2004, 12:59 PM
Its not the homeowners insurance that kills you, its the Florida windstorm insurance, that was imposed after huricane Andrew. My windstorm is about $1100 a year with a $6600 deductable! The real kicker is that it is a Florida state agency, is mandatory, and there is only one agency, you can't even shop it. How is this possible?

BUIZILLA
08-31-2004, 01:22 PM
Surfer, my 2% Windstorm deductible is a tad over $9,000... and they now exclude landscape and wall paint from coverage by *high* wind damage

JIm

Ranman
08-31-2004, 01:34 PM
Help me understand the "windstorm" part. Is that mandatory for everybody? Are you saying that if the home is damaged by a windstorm, you have a $6K-$9K deductable?

BUIZILLA
08-31-2004, 01:52 PM
Are you saying that if the home is damaged by a windstorm, you have a $6K-$9K deductable?That's EXACTLY what we are saying.

JH :spongebob

gcarter
08-31-2004, 01:56 PM
Gosh Surfer and Jim, I guess I'm glad I live in the middle of the state!

Last Tango
08-31-2004, 03:10 PM
Concur with Buizilla. $1200 per year (about $2 per square foot) in an upscale riverfront community. Federal Flood insurance is extra. Also concur on the deductible ($5k for me) for "wind storm."
Then again, our property taxes are about $1,000 per year, and we pay no State, county, or city income taxes, or any county or city sales taxes here. (depending on your county - some have a small extra tax like 1/2 or 1 cent additional to replace toll bridge incomes lost a few years ago).

Cuda
08-31-2004, 03:23 PM
I pay around $790 a year for homeowner's on the new house, and that's even with it on the water. They say that Charlie won't cause our insurance to rise, because we have supposedly been paying into a hurricane pool since Andrew.

Cuda
08-31-2004, 03:28 PM
Cuda, if it goes just south of you, that puts you direct in the northeast quadrant, of the worst part of the storm... not a good place to be with all those tree's that could fall on your boats :eek: ... :eek:

I have the 302 where it's pretty well protected between the house and the garage. The Minx is in front of the garage. The fishboat is beside the garage, but I'll move it next to the Minx if the storm comes. Of course my least valuable boat is the best protected. The F20SC is in the garage.

Of couse NONE of the boats are insured. :frown:

Cuda
08-31-2004, 03:31 PM
These trees on the bank of the canal concern me. Not a whole lot of dirt around the roots. I just hope if they fall, they fall into the canal.

boldts
08-31-2004, 03:37 PM
Just want to say I for one truely hope that you all don't get hit by any more bad storms down there in FL or anywhere else in the country. I work for a national major insurance company and every time a storm or natural disaster hits the US, our bonus goes right down the tubes with it.

Has anyone seen the flooding in VA from all the rain they've been getting? Hoping and praying Frances stays out to sea for everyone on the East coast's sake!

Cuda
08-31-2004, 03:37 PM
I am ready as I can be for a storm. I bought the chainsaw this morning, and before Charlie came, I bought a big generator. Today I was in Big Lots. Batteries and duct tape were flying off the shelves. Home Depot was damn busy this morning too.

Cuda
08-31-2004, 03:39 PM
On every update of the track, it shows it going a little farther north. Right now it shows the Fla/Ga border as the center of the track.

marcdups
08-31-2004, 04:55 PM
Sorry guys I have not read all posts but where on the internet can I find barometric pressures, this sattelite crap does'nt tell me anything, I need pressures to figure out what's what, so I will know from old school like watching the cows in the morning, OUPS I said cow, one is laying in bed right now :kaioken: :kaioken: :rlol: :wavey:

Cuda
08-31-2004, 04:56 PM
Cuda,

too late on the genset, but return that POS saw and I can UPS a real saw to ya tomorrow...

Think Stihl :) :)

Hey, $499 for 6250 watts ain't bad.

rchevelle71
08-31-2004, 05:01 PM
South FLorida,

House appraised last week at $188,000(pretty good seeing as I paid $143,000 less than 2 years ago:yes: ), New insurance is

high $900's with 700 or so going to windstorm, Regular deductible $1000, Hurricane deductible $2440.

I also pay another $200something to flood insurance Since I live in the damn everglades!!!

Ranman
08-31-2004, 05:17 PM
I pay around $790 a year for homeowner's on the new house, and that's even with it on the water. They say that Charlie won't cause our insurance to rise, because we have supposedly been paying into a hurricane pool since Andrew.

My question is: Who is "we"? I wonder if my insurance premiums are paying for homes that get blown away by hurricanes. Shouldn't those people who live in a high risk area pay a substantially higher premium? It sounds like that's not the case. It sounds like we all pay generally the same, but some will statistically need to make more claims, more often because they live in a high risk area.

The way I see it, homeowners insurance in FL is comparable to MI sans the large deductable. The deductable doesn't mean much though as it will just comes out of the overall settlement, not the owners actual bank account. If the house is covered for $250K and there's a total loss, the insurance company will pay you $244K if you have the $6K deductable. All the owner has to do is carry slightly higher coverage to make up for the high deductable which would only have a small dollar impact on the premium amount.

Like I said, I'm not trying to sound insensitive, I'm just trying to understand how the system works. Thanks for the replies.

marcdups
08-31-2004, 05:31 PM
good luck RANMAN!! :alligator :alligator :shark:

Cuda
08-31-2004, 05:35 PM
I don't know who we really are. I was under the impression it was all Florida home owners. It was my dad who told me that, I'll ask him who "we" are.

Ranman
08-31-2004, 05:40 PM
good luck RANMAN!! :alligator :alligator :shark:

Good point!

gcarter
08-31-2004, 05:48 PM
There's something over 12 million of us! :lightning

Last Tango
08-31-2004, 07:21 PM
George,
Darn near double that if you count the illegal aliens (tourists) and the migrant workers (snowbirds). :biggrin:

Speed-Racer
08-31-2004, 07:56 PM
Well Cuda that puts another hurricane through our backyards...except this one could be a lot worse :frown:

Cuda does the minx or fish boat fit in the garage with the bow rider, or are they to long?

Cuda
08-31-2004, 08:03 PM
Cuda does the minx or fish boat fit in the garage with the bow rider, or are they to long?

They will only fit at an angle. The back twelve feet of the garage is walled off for a workshop.

gcarter
08-31-2004, 08:33 PM
And it seems like the Mid-West floods every few years.....
The West has fires and other things, the North east has REALLY bad snow storms, did I miss anyone?

Scott Heidt
08-31-2004, 10:42 PM
Hey guys!

Dejavu! Here is a good website. www.hurricanealley.net

Got all the essentials food, water, generator, gas, chainsaw, and my trusty AR-15! Hey be safe all. Here we go again!

Cuda
09-01-2004, 07:21 AM
I've got guys working in Ft Pierce, which is about 20 miles south of Vero Beach. They are predicting Vero as being ground zero right now. I'm thinking of calling my boys back home tonight to avoid the traffic jam that will develop Thursday if the storm doesn't change.

Gulfbum
09-01-2004, 08:53 AM
Well we are about to get ready to get the word that here at Kennedy Space Center they will be shutting down the Center at 8 PM tonight so no coming to work tomorrow or Friday. They are buttoning up the shuttles and battening down the hatches now.:smash:

Surfer
09-01-2004, 09:16 AM
The windstorm insurance is in addition to your basic homowners...hurricane Andrew caused the insurance co.s to drop all coverage in S. Fla., we all got blown...I'll bet after the dust settles with Charly, that you'all in the middle of the state will understand the pain also. With that said, we only get a bad storm every three or four years, and they only last a couple of hours...but it seems winter happens in the north, like clockwork, every year!

Scott Heidt
09-01-2004, 09:53 AM
Just looked at visible radar. Frances is the size of the state of Florida more or less. The the most devestating winds are approx. 80 miles from the center.

Barring this hurricane making a significant turn NE the majority of florida will be hit. The size of this monster is incredible!

:shocking:

Craig S
09-01-2004, 10:58 AM
Im paying about $700 for homeowners on a canal front home. 100,000 value, fairly higher limits on liability $5000 deductible. No flood. windstorm thru the state pool at about $250/yr.

Not too bad. but every outside improvement has to be engineer certified or inspected thru the windstorm/insurance people. Thats in a high risk area on Corpus Christi bay. Barrier islands are higher, I understand.:biggrin:

Lenny
09-01-2004, 11:22 AM
Something I find interesting is that HERE, although I pay about $1100/yr on $375K, and an EXTRA $75/Yr for Earthquake coverage, flood and wind and whatever is included in that premium.

Oh, and Poodle, insuring a DONZI here is no biggy. For an 18, fire/theft and just plain smashing it into another boat or rocks etc, c/w 3 million$ third party liability is $800/yr. The only stipulation is that you were not "skiing" at the time. There are literally hundreds of policy writers that will insure your boat here.

Craig S
09-01-2004, 11:49 AM
In Texas, the low risk areas have windstorm included in the policy. It depends (in my cases) on the county. The first tier counties with windstorm go thru the state windstorm pool. First tier, as in the first line of counties off of the Gulf.

Lenny
09-01-2004, 05:17 PM
The NOAA site has entertained me all day. Very cool stuff to read.

This is WILD :eek:

http://www.donzi.net/photos/frances090104-1645z.jpg

florida gator
09-01-2004, 06:55 PM
I don't want to sound insensitive, but I have an honest question. What does homeowners insurance cost in Florida? I can't fathom the idea of wondering whether or not my house will still be standing after a four month hurricane season year in and year out. Sure it's warm, but my house was built in 1955, and I'd be willing to bet it won't be blown over by a hurricane in the next 50 years. For that matter, tornadoes are pretty rare as well as quakes. The worst thing we get here is a strong thunderstorm. The boating season is short, but really "severe" weather is scarce.

For comparison, my homeowners policy is in the $700/year range and that has doubled from $350/yr from years past. I have to assume that homeowners insurance in Florida should run several times the Michigan rates, that is, unless the rest of the country subsidizes "danger" areas around the country. Is there a penalty to be paid for rebuilding in an area that will most likely be damaged sometime in the forseeable future?

I just don't know that I could live in fear for four months out of the year, regardless of the weather. Then again, if the insurance is the same, and I get a new house every time, maybe it's not that bad of a deal. Comments please...

Many people don't realise there is a seperate deductible and copay for damage reatd to a hurricane.

Patti
09-01-2004, 07:09 PM
Lenny, awesome photo! I love that site! :)

I have lots of friends down in Florida..a good portion of them are packed up and heading out tommorow to get out of harms way..most people I know aren't willing to take the chance..especially with such a huge storm.

Can't say I blame them though..scary stuff for sure! :eek!:

florida gator
09-01-2004, 07:10 PM
Guess I should have read further before posting my reply. My point was made before I could get to it.

mattyboy
09-02-2004, 01:20 PM
keeping you sunshine boys in our thoughts and prayers once again,

I have and Aunt and Uncle down in Palm Coast, they just got rain and some wind for Charley, hope they weather it ok .

keep safe
God Speed

BabyDonzi
09-02-2004, 04:27 PM
Locked and loaded.

House, Donzi and all trucks insured.
As ready as we can be. Forcast does not look good for West Palm up to Vero as of 5:00 update.

Lenny
09-02-2004, 04:45 PM
2pm today

Cuda
09-02-2004, 04:55 PM
It's actually looking better for us. I drove to Daytona today to buy some paint from Boater's World, they were closed. Not much traffic in Daytona either. My cousin just came here from a job in Jacksonville and said it is a solid line of cars heading north on I95. TV said it's bumper to bumper from WPB to St Augustine.

gcarter
09-02-2004, 07:12 PM
New track as of 5:00 PM brings it across the state, could be better for us as it shouldn't impact as many. Be worse for Florida Gator :alligator though. It looks like it'll go about 30-50 miles south of us East-
West. :shocking:

Tidbart
09-02-2004, 07:45 PM
Hello Guys and Gals,
Just wanted to say hello since I have been off the radar for the past 3 weeks. Some of you know I work for the local electric utility in Orlando and as such I have been working alot as of late. About 250+ hours in the last 3 weeks. I just had some time to do some roof repairs the last couple of nights from Charley, just in time for Frances. Tab only 20-30K so far, could be worse.
I just wanted to say a couple of things.. Good luck to everyone here in sunny Florida in the few days. You will need it, and be safe. Also, a very special thanks to MP for the help with the genset. In a time of need there is nothing like a good friend. That saved my ass and Ranya's for that matter, as I could not leave the house because of work.
Speaking of work, they cancelled my trip to Montreal today. I was supposed to attend a wedding there this weekend. Que' sera, sera! Stuck again.
If anyone is in need of any type of assistance from this storm, I will help in any way I can. I will be busy but no matter. My cell is 321-436-5704. Use it if necessary. If you friends or relatives around Orlando, St Cloud and need them check on or anything let me know. I will see what I can do.

Take care all. Be smart. Don't touch downed power lines!!!!

Bob

smokediver
09-02-2004, 08:08 PM
Good to see you have a little time Bob. I figured you were pretty busy .... We are going to be heading over to where ever when the last bands go by to help out the guys on the other coast ... I am thinking I will be gone for a few days .. Good advice on the power lines ... Also keep the gensets outside and tape down extension cords , they are killers ....

florida gator
09-02-2004, 08:53 PM
New track as of 5:00 PM brings it across the state, could be better for us as it shouldn't impact as many. Be worse for Florida Gator :alligator though. It looks like it'll go about 30-50 miles south of us East-
West. :shocking:

Yeah, looks like it can get bad here.

It's already bad, one thing I have looked forward to for a long time was postponed today. Opening game at the Swamp.

Another thing I have been looking forward to, the new non skid floor in the Donzi. The shop called today and asked me to pick it up. He doesn't want the liability at his shop.

Oh Well. Good Luck to all in the "Sunshine State"!!

mphatc
09-02-2004, 09:04 PM
Wishing you the best.

Even here in NH it is striking home. My father's winter retirement home is in Jensen Beach . . . close to a canal, and just a few feet above sea level . . he's here in NH thank god,
but we're all watching and waiting and saying prayers for all of you!

Mario

Fish boy
09-03-2004, 03:25 AM
Ruh Row.... :bonk: :shocking: :fire:

LOL. You should be getting wet pretty soon Poodle. Hope you and the rest of the east coasters make it without a scratch.

fish

TuxedoPk
09-03-2004, 05:41 AM
My question is: Who is "we"? I wonder if my insurance premiums are paying for homes that get blown away by hurricanes. Shouldn't those people who live in a high risk area pay a substantially higher premium? It sounds like that's not the case. It sounds like we all pay generally the same, but some will statistically need to make more claims, more often because they live in a high risk area.

Randy, while we all hate paying insurance rates, everyone's rates I've heard seem really reasonable compared to what I was paying before Chubb canceled my pollicy after having to payout. The house was in a NY suburb, private police (v. just a gated communtiy) so crime rate is pretty much non-existant, no hurricanes, no flood zones, no quakes, no tornados. Ice freeze ups in vacant houses during the winter months are about the biggest peril.

I was paying $8k/year in premium before my freezeup. When I got cancelled I tried getting insurance thru another company and nobody.... I mean NOBODY (except Lloyds of London) would insure the home while the renovation was taking place. The quote from Lloyds was $20k for the year payable up front with a minimum 12 month period before I could switch to a less expensive carrier when the reconstruction was complete. This was for a house that was vacant and had NO furniture or contents even!

Right now I'm chancing it w/o insurance and more than a bit nervous. I'm not so much concerned about the $$$ loss if the house burned to the ground... that would at be terrible but a fixed amount, I'm more concerned about someone getting injured on the property and having unlimitted liabilitiy for injury. Transferring the house from my name to an LLC triggers all sorts of taxes and I'm back up in the area of the LLoyds premium.

Right now I'm General Contracting the job myself with a 'non idiginous' work force and if anyone gets hurt I'll back over them with the truck... They're worrth much less dead than injured.

TuxedoPk
09-03-2004, 05:49 AM
If anyone is unforntately hit hard by this storm I will be happy to pitch in any way I can. If you need temporary housing for a period I've got 9 spare bedrooms in NY and if anyone needs physical labor I've got the time to come down to Florida and pitch in any way I can be of use. Please don't hesitate to ask for assistance if you need it.

Rich (201) 669-7175.

txtaz
09-03-2004, 08:54 AM
I'm with Tux, If you need anything just ask. I can make free time over the next few weeks to help out. We also have 5 spare rooms if anyone wants to visit the Texas hill country.
We are hoping everyone fairs well.
Wes and Jenn

BUIZILLA
09-03-2004, 09:24 AM
whew...

rough night..

total destruction count.. :rolleyes:

4 coconuts, 3 palm fronds, one tipped over garbage can

hardly a cloud in the sky now, winds from the NE at 6 knots, bright sunshine, steady baro,

...gonna go walk the dog, and then for a cruise on the motorcycle, and see what every one else ISN'T doing..

JH :cool!:

rayjay
09-03-2004, 11:09 AM
Many people don't realise there is a seperate deductible and copay for damage reatd to a hurricane.

Just returned from working in FL with FEMA, and will be returning next week. I was working in Highlands and Polk Counties. Most of the policies I saw had the policy's regular deductible plus 2% (two percent) of the "prior" fair market value value of the house as a deductible for hurricanes. So a $120K house had $2400 (2% of $120K) plus the policy's deductible of lets say $500 for a total of $2900. I saw some damage that looked like it came from a tornado. Most policies had no deductible for tornado's, but the Insurance Co's are saying the tornado's were caused by the Charley so the 2% additional kicks in. Items written (hidden?) in small print kind of suck when you are old and have enough trouble just seeing the big print!

Anyone with damage in a "declared" county please make sure you register with FEMA, 1-800-621-3362 or 1-800-4623-7585 for the speech and hearing impaired. Even if you think you will not qualify, the data will help spread the dollars into the right areas for reconstruction after the clean-up.

For the past week I have been working with a joint operation between FEMA and the Army Corps of Engineers called Operation Blue Roofs. Operation Blue Roofs is to install a "temporary" roofing system having an expected life of up to one year on any house, apartment, or church or other CBO (Community Based non-profit Organization). It done at no cost and without any restrictions like income, but it currently is only in certain counties. Call 1-888-ROOFBLU to see where it is available and where you can sign up. I know they are closed today, so they can evacuate, but are scheduled to re-open on Monday if the storm is finished by then. Applications are NOT taken over the phone as someone has to sign a Right Of Entry (ROE) form to start the process. It doesn't have to be the owner, but can be a renter or someone who has a contractual control of the structure, or an agent of the owner like a relative.

rayjay

P.S. Someone mentioned bleach. One part chlorine bleach to three parts water will get rid of most molds. You can mix it a bit stronger if necessary. Just do NOT use chlorine around anyone with Asthma, COPD, or any other breathing disability.

pmreed
09-03-2004, 08:33 PM
I hope it fizzles out Poodle, but I'm not counting on it. Latest prediction calls for it to pass about 10 miles south of my house...but only a cat 1 at the time. Anywhere from 8 to 20 inches of rain. Another prediction has it meandering around near Abaco, then shifting a little northward prior to landfall. Looks like we won't know anything 'til it really happens. The "experts" really whacked Charlie's course, and this may be the same. Still debating putting up the plywood; I'll decide in the morning. There's no point in getting riled up about this thing; it's gonna do what it's gonna do. Bless all in Frances' path and see ya'll on the other side :wavey: .

Phil

BUIZILLA
09-03-2004, 09:40 PM
Janice and I would like to publicly acknowledge Poodle for his supreme act of class for dropping off a diesel genny for me on his way home today. He made sure EVERYONE was taken care of before he went home, then he made sure others were better off, before he even ate dinner,,.

This folks, is nothing short of dedicated FIRST CLASS...

Hats off, to a leader in his class.

Thanx,

J & J

Fish boy
09-04-2004, 07:05 AM
Janice and I would like to publicly acknowledge Poodle for his supreme act of class for dropping off a diesel genny for me on his way home today. He made sure EVERYONE was taken care of before he went home, then he made sure others were better off, before he even ate dinner,,.

This folks, is nothing short of dedicated FIRST CLASS...

Hats off, to a leader in his class.

Thanx,

J & J

Not to mention thousands of bottles of water, pallets of paper towels, and other things desperately needed by those in punta gorda devastated by hurrucane charlie. Purchased, hauled and delivered on his own dime and on his own time. My hats off to Scott too. :)

Speed-Racer
09-04-2004, 09:51 AM
Damn storm can't make up it's mind... South, West, NorthWest, ...it must be drunk!

Prepared for the worst, hoping for the best. Boarded up, and all vechicles and boats are safe in the warehouse

rayjay
09-04-2004, 11:34 AM
Recovery Times - Florida (http://www.fema.gov/pdf/rt/rt1539_fla.pdf)

A bit glitzy, but it does give FAQ's for FEMA help and on the last page there is a list of telephone numbers for various Federal, State, and Volunteer agencies that can be contacted for help in Florida.

I'll be in Atlanta tomorrow to get ready to go wherever FEMA sends me. As soon as I have anymore information about programs and services available post Frances I will post them, just as soon as I can get to a computer.

Also, please be watch out for unscrupulous characters who are just out to commit fraud. I know in Polk County a few groups saying they were from FEMA with "FEMA" on their trucks were asking questions about SS#'s and bank accounts. As a note, FEMA workers (almost always) do not have "FEMA" on their cars or trucks and will always have a FEMA badge. Two were caught in Polk County last week when they were spotted by some genuine FEMA workers who gave chase while calling the Polk County Sheriffs. I saw them pulled an e-brake turn on Rt 27 only to run right into the arms of a Statie who was right behind me. If you are suspicious about someone call the FEMA Fraud Detection number, 1-800-323-8603.

rayjay

EricG
09-04-2004, 12:02 PM
My thoughts go out to everyone going through this mess right now.... I feel very fortunate to be back home typing this and not worrying about my family and home.

We arrived in Ft. Lauderdale last Sunday night around Midnight. Monday AM we drove down to look at a boat factory I wanted to check out...and passed Blanchard Machinery near Biscayne Blvd. Had we not been running late to get to our cruise - I thought about checking it out :D. Our cruise left Miami on Monday PM. We spent Tuesday in Nassau - they were starting to board up buildings.

Wednesday we were suppose to cruise to Royal Carribean's private Island CocoCay - but instead we diverted over to Freeport in order to give the R.C. employees on CocoCay a chance to get ready for the storm. According to locals in Freeport - we were the last tourists to be found on the island. We left there at 5:00PM heading towards Key West. This is where the cruise started to suck:

The captain announced that due to the storm expected to hit Miami on Friday, they were cancelling Key West and heading directly to Miami - unloading the passengers and getting the boat out of the way of the storm. They recommended we call our airlines and try to change our flights (ours was scheduled for 3:45 Friday out of Ft. Lauderdale). Unfortunately, the ship only had about 20 phone lines for 2600 passengers, so very few passengers were able to get flights changed. First of all, it sucked the life out of the cruise ship - the mood just changed. Everyone was depressed, stressed and not a lot of fun to be around. At 11:30 Wednesday Night, the captian announced that due to the fact that most people could not find flights, and many areas were being evacuated, that they were giving passengers the option of leaving the ship for a credit (it almost paid half of our bar bill :eek: ), or staying on and sailing away from the storm until they could get back to Miami. We got ahold of Delta at 4:30 AM on Thursday and were able to get scheduled on a 11:30 AM flight out of West Palm Beach on Friday. We opted to get off the ship. Some folks may think it's dumb to give up the chance for 4-5 nights of cruising for free - but about 75% of the ship was getting off the boat, and everyone else was so stressed out that it would have sucked. Plus, we would have done nothing but drink for 4 days....and that gets expensive.

We found a hotel room in W.P.B. for Thursday, but nothing after that if our flight was cancelled. We had trouble finding places to eat on Thursday, and we bought some water, snacks and a flashlight just in case. We've never had an emergency like that where you just can't find stuff. It was weird to be hunting for Batteries, Gas, water, etc. After that, I have a ton more sympathy for what the Floridians are going through.

Our flight yesterday at 11:30 was the LAST flight out of Palm Beach - and I think one of the last ones out of S. Florida period. If it would have been cancelled, we probably would have been heading for a shelter - since we had nowhere else to go.

I apologize for the really long post - but I just had to share out little hurricane experience. I was stressed out completely, and we had nothing to lose. We didn't have a house or anything to worry about except ourselves...I can't imagine what the residence of FL are going through right now. Good luck!!

-EG

Cuda
09-04-2004, 02:50 PM
Eric, I would have gotten off too. They are calling for 25 foot seas on top of a ten foot tidal surge. There is going to be a lot of beach lost to this storm.

Cuda
09-04-2004, 02:51 PM
I put the fleet in battle positions, and battened down the hatches.

Cuda
09-04-2004, 02:59 PM
Chuck built some stands for the boats. They are MUCH sturdier than the jacks were. He has one more to make for the fishboat.

Cuda
09-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Cuda, turn the truck around.. Rear window a smaller target :) :)

Good idea, done. :)

Cuda
09-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Chuck's running out of material to build stands with. He's gone natural now. :)

Cuda
09-04-2004, 03:20 PM
Debbie securing the rain gauge.

BUIZILLA
09-04-2004, 03:52 PM
At the NOAA weather marker 120nm off the Canaveral coast the sea's were 30.5' at noon today... yoooooo

gcarter
09-04-2004, 04:01 PM
I moved the Minx hull out of the garage this morning and took it to the storage yard. We're not expecting more than gusts to 60 tomorrow, we'll see.
Anyway, I parked the boat facing the NE right where most of the wind will be coming from. The engine hatch is off, and the cockpit is completely empty so it will get some rain in it which will be a good thing.

Cuda
09-04-2004, 04:10 PM
Here we go! The power was just out for about half an hour. Generator is now on the front porch, and we have an extension cord prepped to hook it up to the breaker panel.

Cuda
09-04-2004, 04:34 PM
Scott, I just called my buddy Johno who is an electrical contractor, and he told me not to pull the meter because the power company gets bitter about it. He told me to turn off the main breaker, is that the same?

BUIZILLA
09-04-2004, 04:46 PM
Cuda, pull the meter....... trust me on this..... :fire:

Fish boy
09-04-2004, 08:16 PM
driving back from checking on my parents this evening Frances' power can already be felt in the bay area. nothing like those on the east coast are feeling right now, but took a few shots from my camera phone as I was driving home.

I am not sure I have ever actually seen a feeder band until now- there was literally a wall of storm clouds from horizon to horizon. Traffic lights are already being knocked out too and the eye is not expected for another 12 hours or so.

Oh yeah, the liquor store is closed and I am running low. gonna be a long storm...

Cuda
09-04-2004, 08:44 PM
Fish, where did you take those pics?

Fish boy
09-04-2004, 08:47 PM
Fish, where did you take those pics?

on SR-590 heading south towards tampa from homosassa. The police pic is 5th ave north and 34th in St. Pete.

Fish boy
09-04-2004, 09:15 PM
Niiiiiiiiiiice!!!! :D

gcarter
09-05-2004, 05:20 AM
I spoke with Jim (Catch22) Saturday morning. They were going to tough it out at home. Had both vehicles in the garage for the first time, boat in storage. Haven't heard from them since.I haven't seen him on line and I suspect they're w/o power. I will try to call about 8:00, but Scott, if you have his cell number, you might try it.

gcarter
09-05-2004, 07:21 AM
I tried his house & all I got was "All circuits are busy".

txtaz
09-05-2004, 07:35 AM
Hang tough guys, Frances has been the only thing on since 4am on Fox News. Call if I can help in anyway (210-421-3477). We hope everyone makes it through ok.
Wes and Jenn

gcarter
09-05-2004, 08:54 AM
Well, it's suddenly very wet here.
Also the wind has picked up to, according to the radar scale, 50-55 MPH. Still have power, thank God.
I just shot this picture out the back door. The problem w/ still pics is you don't see the scale of movement.

boxy
09-05-2004, 09:09 AM
So where did it make landfall ...... Melbourne is all that CNN is showing here.

gcarter
09-05-2004, 09:14 AM
Boxy, with an eye 80 miles wide, you could claim any point in that area. But It seemed to be South of Melbourne to W. Palm Beach. The main problem is, it doesnt move.

boxy
09-05-2004, 09:25 AM
I just saw that, they said it is only moving at 7 mph.

W:eek:W .... they just showed Brevard county.

Hold on tight guys, we're thinking of you.

BUIZILLA
09-05-2004, 09:39 AM
ground Zero was Sewell Point in Stuart, oceanside...

however the worst has been the north eyewall territory from Ft Pierce to Cocoa, especially Vero to Melbourne..

JH

Fish boy
09-05-2004, 10:35 AM
11:30 here and winds are really picking up. The eye is about 7 hours away but getting some pretty massive winds. Two trees already down in the front parking lot, thousands wihtout power in the bay area, they just closed the bridges to traffic out to the beach. THought this one was going to be a wuss, but apparently frances has other ideas.

rchevelle71
09-05-2004, 11:17 AM
OK,

Here is the situation,

About midnight it started picking up pretty bad, I was in the garage having a smoke, and the attic door was flopping up and down, so I went outside to take a look. Shingles flying off the front of the roof, but no leaks, the tarpaper held up, I only have one area in the attic where the plywood has slight moisture. SO, I go out back, and sections of fence are flapping back and forth. I go watch some more tv(we kept power, phone, and cable through the whole thing, cable just went out now). Around 2AM, it started slowing down, so I went out back, and removed any loose remaining fence panels. Wind blew through the night. My neighbor lost some of his siding, Trees, and lightposts down all over. We went out in the truck for a ride this morning, and I have tons of pics, just gota get them uploaded. Good luck to you guys in other areas of the path.

Fish boy
09-05-2004, 12:02 PM
rchevelle71, glad you are safe and I hope the same is true for the rest of the right coasters and those in central fla. The eye is about 50 miles away and heading this way. Of course with a storm that is bigger than the state of texas we are pretty much in it, it just gets a little better and a little worse. :( Everyone stay safe and be smart. THose of you on the north east side of the eye keep an eye and ear out for tornadoes.

Going outside to check on the boats now.

fish

gcarter
09-05-2004, 02:51 PM
Well, our power finally went out. I hope not for long. It seems to be calming down some. Went outside, lost a few crown shingles. One Drake elm leaning over. Took a drive around the neighborhood, lots of trees down, can't easily get out of the neighborhood because of fallen large oaks accross the street. I think I can make it Elaine's FWD SUV, but haven't needed to yet.
Since the power was off, and the cable modem doesn't work, I forget I could dial up......DUHHHHHH!
So now I'm back on line. My Dell will run for eight hours because I have two batteries in it. If you want to know more, just ask.
We're now in a "blue" zone on the radar scale.
I'll probably be grilling more soon than I have in several years.

ToonaFish
09-05-2004, 04:03 PM
News reports said you guys were running low on gasoline... you want I should send down some Lethal Bean Salad to provide an alternative energy source? (Of course, with this headcold, anything I prepare would be lethal in more ways than one...)

I hate to think of you guys down there roughing it without your major appliances. :rolleyes: Bet you are kicking yourself for not buying that gas powered blender now, huh?

Bunches,

Celene 'please keep checking in, we worry'

gcarter
09-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Well, I didn't think we had that great of wind here. Just took a drive around the sub-division. Probably 30 large oaks down (two feet) and in some cases where there's one, there'll be three to six. maybe some small tornados? Lots of debris.
Found out the power failed because a main line is down. I imagine it's a high priority. I love my A.C. I miss it more than anything.

ToonaFish
09-05-2004, 06:38 PM
I love my A.C. I miss it more than anything.

That's it. George I feel I simply must send you this headcold. In a day or two you'll be shivering no matter what the ambient temperature.

Don't thank me, it's the least I can do. :yes:

Poodle, don't tell me you've got termites? In Paradise?

gcarter
09-06-2004, 06:36 AM
We mjay hyave a good selection to choose from here. I'll keep my eyes open.
Scott, photos are pretty impressive for the less destructive side of the storm.
It blew here all night at 50-60 without letup.
It's still blowing 30-40 but it's a lot drier.

Jamesbon
09-06-2004, 08:09 AM
Fortunately high tide was at 4:45 AM today. These were taken around 8:30 from my back yard. Look how the water level is even with the grass :(

Biskit
09-06-2004, 10:24 AM
I'm watching Fox news from Texas and the stuff they are showing (the flooding and piles of boats) looks really bad there. And no fuel, fireants, and snakes, no power, on top of the lines for help, food and water, I'm blown away and speechless. Then I hear about some looting and I really get pissed off. The Biskit

florida gator
09-06-2004, 01:32 PM
Wow, finally back. I guess I need a cell phone and laptop with bluetooth. I charged the laptop, had power inverter hooked up as back up and didn't realise cabe and phone would be out.

I spent most of the day trying to find gas and ice. Right after I bought the last 5 bags of ice at a bait shop, my wife called to tell me the power was back on.

BERTRAM BOY
09-06-2004, 08:19 PM
I just got off the phone with Madpoodle, and he says Jack Keefe is well... He's trying to get ahold of Cuda.... anyone heard from him?
BERTRAM BOY

harbormaster
09-07-2004, 08:10 AM
Amazing Photos guys!

Keep posting more photos of the aftermath.

mattyboy
09-07-2004, 08:17 AM
this was a big slow storm!
just spoke to My Aunt and Uncle in Palm Coast (flagler Beach)
they are ok but lost some fencing and some of the screen around the pool. some of their neighbors didn't fare so well,
they said it seemed to go on forever!

all you guys are in our thoughts and prayers

gcarter
09-07-2004, 10:03 AM
OK, so 55 trees got knocked over in my neighborhood (I asked one of the greens keepers). So these four trees were within 100 yards of each other.
Did these trees suffer from storm wind or was there a small 'twister?

gcarter
09-07-2004, 10:13 AM
One of the Drake elms in Elaine's garden was knocked over a bit, some branches were on the ground.
So I got some straps and pulled it back up w/ Elain's FWD Explorer. Success!

Last Tango
09-07-2004, 10:23 AM
No damage to my house or trees or boat or cars, but things not so good elsewhere around me. Schools still closed, several hundred thousand still without power up here (us included), skeleton crew here at the office today. Not as bad damage-wise as Palm Beach and the rest of south Florida. Still lots of problems for the electrical folks to sort out. A big tree took out the power lines and two poles in my neighborhood. It will be a while until they work that one out. Tidyed up the yard yesterday and then cruised the neighborhoods around me to gawk at what we were lucky enough to have missed at our house. Lots of little tornadoes on Saturday and Sunday ripped things pretty good, but nobody hurt. Lots more rain still hitting today. In fact yesterday was slightly better weather than today, so far. STILL getting the outer bands.
And when they finally get the power on this week, we get to prepare for IVAN. I haven't unpacked anything, Just going to stay in the same mode until after IVAN passes.
See you all in Sarasota!

Lenny
09-07-2004, 10:32 AM
At least Ivan hung a left. This should give you guys a much needed break. :yes:

gcarter
09-07-2004, 10:36 AM
The worst thing to me about no power is, EVERYTHING is wet!
Floor tiles, bedding, towels, you name it.
In ten years of living here, we've not been without power for more than one or two hours. Hopefully it will be back on today.
I know people who brag about not using their A.C., but I think that's crazy!
They're probably the one's who have chronic mold problems.

florida gator
09-07-2004, 07:55 PM
I've been pretty lucky. Had the boat at the house and the marina was hit pretty hard. No significant damage to the home. Pulled right in to a gas station that had gas and was back out in 5 minutes. Power was only out about 24 hours (office too).

Some in this area have been told maybe 7-10 days before power is restored.

Gas stations have been nuts.

I was actually a little disappointed I couldn't use my new chainsaw.

BUIZILLA
09-07-2004, 09:00 PM
Anybody get word on how the Lakeside Inn/Dora area made out??

JH

gcarter
09-08-2004, 09:31 AM

JH
Jim, if I get to that area today, I'll take a look.

gcarter
09-08-2004, 07:33 PM

JH
Everything looks OK. Picking up branches, leaves, and Spanish moss. Main lobby building is still boarded up, but it appears to be open.

gcarter
09-08-2004, 07:35 PM
We have launch, and power, and TV, and AC!!! :yes: :eek!:

gcarter
09-09-2004, 06:11 AM
MP, there was a house on the road to my subdivision that burned to the ground that probably did just that. And of course, the FD couldn't respond. It's not often you see a house completely burned. :confused:

Big Pimpin
09-10-2004, 06:05 AM
I can't believe the idiots I have to deal with about generators.. Some of the electricians out there are wacked.. Had a lady screaming at me that her electrician told her a 15 room house would run fine (AC and all :eek: ) on a 10KW genset, and to just shut up and get her one.. When I told her her electrician was stone cold stupid, and should be connected directly to a transformer on the pole, she got even maddder.. Turns out he is he is her husband.. :banghead: He is supposed to come in and kick my ass this morning :D :D :D
me an ma homies gots ya back dog. Fully strapped on da real, ya huuuuurd! Holla at cha boy if it gets ill. One

Cuda
09-10-2004, 08:37 AM
We are back to full power. Debbie called last night and we have power, phone, and cable back. Packing right now to leave St Pete and head home.

Fish boy
09-10-2004, 09:19 AM
Hey Cuda, glad to hear things are back online for you and Debbie. Have a safe trip back to the other siade of Fla.

Fish

gcarter
09-11-2004, 05:55 PM
Nauseating.... (http://www.boatus.com/hurricanes/frances/index.htm)
Scott, do they still auction these things?
It could be a large auction! :eek:

mphatc
09-11-2004, 08:03 PM
Scott,

You have a pivate message!!!

Mario