PDA

View Full Version : Strip restoration the easy way.

txtaz
08-31-2004, 09:47 AM
Since we were having discussions about our strips (and I can't paint), I decided to get off my rear end and do something about mine (thanks George). Since the boat has been in the sun most of the summer, it had started to fade. I'm posting in case others are curious on how to do it and the results.
I use 3M Fiberglass Cleaner and Wax, also know to some as "Speed Wax", sorry Darrell I just had to thow that in. LOL I got a Coleman orbital polisher from Wal Mart for $15 and went to town. Whole process took 30 minutes and was really easy. Follow the directions on the cleaner not the orbital polisher.
Here are some pics.

txtaz
08-31-2004, 09:53 AM
Hymmmmm, The splotches are from resizing the pictures to make them small enough to post. Any photo gurus have ideas on how to retain the image while making it smaller. I used ACDsee to resize but have several different imaging software I can use. I think Paint Shop pro is the best I have. Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks,
Wes

txtaz
08-31-2004, 10:00 AM
Testing for max filesize. Hymm, still splotchy

Gulfbum
08-31-2004, 10:02 AM
I am doing my whole boat I just bought but I am using the 3M for heavy oxidation. It seems to be working good and I will post some pics when I am done. It sure is a lot better since I am not a painter either.

Frank

gold-n-rod
08-31-2004, 10:11 AM
Oh, you mean stripes ?? :boggled:

I thought I was going to read a post about pretty women taking their clothes off. :bonk:

Oh well, good information, none-the-less.

another Randy

txtaz
08-31-2004, 10:15 AM
I have been corrected. Thanks Randy, sorry to get your hopes up. Wait for the TR3 pictures though, it might be more interesting than a little ol painted stripe on a boat. LOL
Wes

gcarter
08-31-2004, 12:08 PM
I'm wondering if paint doesn't last longer...........?
I've got an old Acura Legend I keep as a spare (vehicle #6)
And it has mostly original paint. It sits outside for months at a time. The paint on that thing is incredible!!! It's ALWAYS shiny. I don't think you could say the same thing about gelcoat.
Do you see my point? I'm thinking low maintenance here.
Some of the paint finishes available today are really wonderful.
What do y'all think?

txtaz
08-31-2004, 12:19 PM
I agree with you George, I don't have specific knowledge but I think paint is denser and harder. On the other hand I think gel coat is layed up thicker. I have often wondered how the gel is build up in the mold and how gel repairs are done.
Maybe someone with specific knowledge can chime in here.
Wes

Ranman
08-31-2004, 12:34 PM
A boat is forst made by waxing every inch of a mold using a special wax. Next the gel is sprayed into the mold. Following the gel is a thin layer of chopped strand mat, typically shot through a chopper gun. The strand mat is wetted out with resin. After the strand mat is down, the wovens/roving etc, is laid and wetted into the mold. When all is done, the boat is popped from the mold and voila.

Since a boat is constructed "backwards", gell repairs are made from the outside, like a car would be fixed. The repair is made, gelcoat is matched, mixed and sprayed and then sanded and buffed to blend in with the rest of the boat.

Paint IMO is not an answer for boats that stay in the water. Water will penetrate paint and blister the boat severly if it is left in the water too long. This is also true with gelcoat, but the gel is more resistant. Based on what I've seen, clear coats, (like on the Acura) don't last long on boats and will chip and peel quickly, especially if left below the waterline.

For restoring a moderatly faded stripe without sanding, here's the best way:

1) Use 3M rubbing compound oin a 3M foam pad using an orbital polisher. You can use a random orbital, but they take a long time to get good results. A straight up rotary polisher (not random) (1500-2000 rpm) works best. You'll never get the results of a polisher by hand. Do not apply pressure to the polisher, hold it at a 10-15 degree angle of attack and keep it moving. Use lots of compound and work it, work it.

2) Clean the boat.

3) Use 3M Finnesse-It II polishing compound on a 3M foam pad using the same process detailed above.

4) Clean the boat.

5) Wash and wax. I like to use straight up 3M Marine wax (not polish and wax).

6) Wax again.

There are variations of this process that will work (ie Jamie's comments), but this is the basic plan. It works and it works well. ANything that deviates significantly from this will not provide as good a result. Good luck and have fun.

txtaz
08-31-2004, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the info Randy, when do they shoot the color and at what depth?
Thanks,
Wes
PS, Sounds like you've polished a few boats yourself.

Ranman
08-31-2004, 05:25 PM
I'm not exactly sure what your asking, but I'll try to answer.

On a Donzi, tape will be placed into the mold (remember inside out process) for the boot stripe and deck stripe (hull sides if opted). Then they will shoot the white. Once dry, they will lift the tape, and shoot the color for the stripes/sides. If you were to carefully sand the white gel coat right next to the red stripe, you'd hit red (overspray) just before you hit the actual fibergless. Ever paint a lexan R/C car body? Done from the inside out.

Anyway, Gel coat, I believe is 15-20 mils thick whereas an automotive finish is in the neighborhood of 5 mils. The nice thing about gel coat is you can really work on it to bring it back.

Lenny should be able to correct any oversights I've made in these posts. He's pretty sharp at boat construction.

Ranman
08-31-2004, 05:36 PM
Here's a shot of workers spraying in the chopped strand mat with a chopper gun and wetting out that "skin" coat with rollers. Note that we are shooting over the freshly sprayed gel coat.

The fella in the pis is someone we all dearly miss, the late Steve Simon... :frown:

http://www.zabram.com/pics/Donzi/HometownRally2002/FactoryMold05.jpg

Ranman
08-31-2004, 05:37 PM
For more pics of the Donzi factory, visit and look for files starting with "Factory"

http://www.zabram.com/pics/Donzi/HometownRally2002/

gold-n-rod
08-31-2004, 10:14 PM
Those pics are woth a million to the guys who own the boats shown in these pics.

Very interesting. I had the pleasure of touring the Correct Craft factory in Orlando several years back and your pictures took me back to that special day.

Thanks for posting.

another Randy

txtaz
09-01-2004, 12:42 AM
Randy, Funny you should mention RC cars. I was affiliated with an RC shop in the early 80's. I raced in the national championship in Fort Worth and came in 9th in A main stock class. Don't ask about 4 wheel mods, not a pretty sight. But it was fun to race and beat some of the famous world racers.
I also wrote some of the lap tracking software for a company out of Atlanta ( Bolink).
Thanks for the info. I knew the concept of the process but not the details. AND those links were killer.
BTW, the next time your in the mood to make unique Donzi stuff, count me in.
Thanks,
Wes