PDA

View Full Version : Stripes!

gcarter
08-29-2004, 07:11 PM
My poor old Minx is slowly coming back to life.
I tried to polish the center stripe the other day and discovered the red trim gelcoat was coming through the blue stripe gelcoat. Pretty thin I would say! :yes:
There was also another issue of the missing windshield, which will stay missing for awhile. But since it looks a little odd without the windshield, I decided to mask and paint the windshield recess. Since this recess is tapered towards the rear, the contrasting color in the recess should give some resemblance to an actual windshield. :eek!:
So I masked around the areas I wanted to paint and then covered the Minx with a very large 1 mill drop cloth. I taped it in place and then cut out the areas I wanted to paint. It worked pretty good.
So finally I got my two coats of high fill primer on the areas to paint. :smash:

Cuda
08-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Is that the primer or the paint on it now?

gcarter
08-29-2004, 10:16 PM
It's a fast build primer. I needed to fair several places. I'll start sanding tomorrow and maybe paint tomorrow or Tuesday.
It will be the same shade of blue it originally was. I've already painted the sides, they turned out pretty good.

Cuda
08-29-2004, 10:34 PM
George, when I shot my transom today, it came out with more shine than either side did. The only different I did was I didn't prime the transom.

What paint are you using?

Donzigo
08-30-2004, 06:55 AM
Nice job, George.

You are the men!

You really ought to come ride on "Big D" one weekend.

Richard

gcarter
08-30-2004, 08:00 AM
Richard, I definately will, but I got a clock (or is it a calender) ticking.

Joe, this is the same type of paint I used on the outdrive and the sides, different colors of course!
Primer; R-M EP 789 high build epoxy primer, excellent for metal parts with a LOT of zinc chromate. Don't ask why I used this primer on 'glass, because I had it, that's why.

Paint; R-M UNO-HD color match. This paint is incredible! Extremely high solids. If the preporation is good, the part looks like it was cast in plastic of that color. It's a single stage, two part, acrilic/polyurethane paint. As soon as I get the boat outside, I'll post some better pictures of the transom and outdrive. Stuff is very hard to photograph with a flash. Just finished sanding the primer and it turned out very well. I'll try to paint it this afternoon if it's not raining.

txtaz
08-30-2004, 11:28 AM
Nice job George, I wish I could paint but the left side of my brain just says no. We may be visiting your area of the world next month. The future misses and I have talked about relocating and we think the FL area would be the best choice for us. Of course the Donzi is begging to visit it's birth place so we will bring it to run on some lakes and rivers there. Perhaps we could meet up when we are there. I will bring some of Lady Birds Blue Bonnets to remind you of the area. LOL
Wes

gcarter
08-30-2004, 11:49 AM
You know Wes, my wife is quite the gardener. One year she planted some blue bonnets and they actually grew. Unfortunately they didn't come back the next year.
We are great tour guides and directors. Any way I can help, just call or email. Office: 352-365-2337.
:wavey:

RacingStripe
08-30-2004, 11:55 AM
:rolleyes: Good job, I would like to paint some flames in my stripe. :spit:

gcarter
08-30-2004, 07:05 PM
So I managed to paint the stripes this afternoon.
I think it turned out pretty good. Some of the pictures have a sort of "frosted" look because moisture was condensing on the camera,...sorry!
I'll probably have to do some color sanding on the bow stripe.
Also I have one run on the port side forward cockpit coaming.
BTW, the picture on the port side also shows how shiny this paint is. :smash:

Cuda
08-30-2004, 07:17 PM
Did you paint the sides too?

gcarter
08-30-2004, 08:23 PM
Yeah, I painted them two or three months ago.

Dr. Dan
08-30-2004, 10:40 PM
:wavey: George...can't wait to see it...will I see it in Sarasota this year or is that too optimistic? :smash:

Doc :rolleyes:

gcarter
08-31-2004, 03:16 AM
Dr. Dan, that's my immediate goal!
:wavey: