PDA

View Full Version : Tank you very much!

gcarter
08-27-2004, 07:43 PM
Just short of a month ago, I ordered a new tank from RDS in Perry, Florida. This has all happened because Donzigo came over one afternoon to see my boat.
Back to RDS, they promised me 3 1/2 week delivery and nearly to the day, I got the call it was ready. Additionally they increased the depth 3/4" to increase the capacity to 45 gallons at no additional charge, total $379.85.
Elaine and I took the day off and drove to Perry and picked up the new tank.
RDS is a very busy place, their shipping department had hundreds of tanks stacked like cordwood on pallets. Their docks were filled with trucks being loaded. While I waited about 15 minutes to be served, several trucks came and went.
Needless to say, I was very impressed.
I think I came to understand why so many boat manufacturers use their products. My new tank is exactly what I ordered and it is already primed.
They seem to have CAD drawings of most if not all of Donzi models. I dealt with Ray, 850-584-6898.

gcarter
08-27-2004, 07:48 PM
On the way back to LADY Lake, we stopped at Fannining Springs State Park and went swimming. Beautiful place.
The first pic is of the springs, its probably 20-30 feet deep. The second is of the spring run to the Suwanee River.

gcarter
08-27-2004, 07:50 PM
We finally got home with the tank, and here is a picture of the new tank in front of the Minx.

Lenny
08-27-2004, 08:23 PM
I wish my 8 year old rented movies with story lines like this. Then some of them wouldn't be so hard to watch :D

Nice.

penbroke
08-27-2004, 08:45 PM
I got my new tank from RDS as well. Built from my drawing, to my specs. The first tank they sent was on time to the day but all the locations of the fittings was wrong. One phone call got a new tank in the works and I had it less than 2 weeks later. Return shipping and 2 day shipping to VT for the new tank on their dime. The quality was excellent and everything was built exactly to the drawing. The final cost was only a few dollars more than a generic tank from the WorstMarine catalog. I would recommend RDS to anyone looking for a tank.

Frank

Cuda
08-27-2004, 09:55 PM
George, Debbie grew up about five miles from Fanning. We've been there several times. You need to go there during "Redbelly Day". It's a festival they have there in the spring. It's a blast. They usually have up and coming country music singers there playing. Last time we were there, Toby Keith was playing. I tried to get Debbie to enter the watermelon chunking contest. I bet she would have won the ladies event! She said she would have. Hmm, sounds like a good time for a Seadogs meet doesn't it? :D

gcarter
08-28-2004, 06:10 AM
Yep, a good idea I think. We need to try the river again anyway since the last time was such a disapointment, i.e. I didn't have my boat ready, many couldn't make it, and you had knocking problems.
One thing I didn't know was that you can take your boat up into the swprings right next to the swimming area. Water must be 7'-8' deep although it looks 6".

Fish boy
08-28-2004, 06:49 AM
great info George, I have been contemplating a new tank myself- smaller and mounted farther back than the orignonal th chnage the center of gravity on my boat. I am glad to hear so many good things about RDS, I am going to book mark this thread so I know who to call when I need one.

The springs rock, we need to do another Seadogs trip tp the suwanee.

fish

gold-n-rod
08-28-2004, 03:09 PM
I tried to get Debbie to enter the watermelon chunking contest. I bet she would have won the ladies event! She said she would have. Hmm, sounds like a good time for a Seadogs meet doesn't it? :D

Watermelon chunking? Does that involve drinking large quantities of vodka, eating watermelon and then blowing chunks?

http://web.camaross.com/forums/images/smilies/gr_barf.gif

If so, I've already done that and it's not as much fun as it sounds!!! :eek!:

another Randy

MOP
08-28-2004, 04:35 PM
George I am Tickled to here you are tanked!

Phil

boldts
08-29-2004, 11:45 AM
George, the Minx tank looks great. Can't thank you enough for bringing this information to those here that are doing restore projects.

Don't you FL folks worry about swimming with gators and large snakes? :alligator :crossfing

Fish boy
08-29-2004, 12:02 PM
Don't you FL folks worry about swimming with gators and large snakes? :alligator :crossfing

Not me, I am a UM hurricane fan, and the gators are skeeered of us. We usually bring a Seminole with us anyway to sacrafice to the gators just so they don't starve. LOL :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol:

Cuda
08-29-2004, 12:14 PM

The gators tend to keep the snakes thinned out.

gcarter
08-29-2004, 12:21 PM
Yes there're places where you don't get into the water. The lake I live near (you can see it out my bedroom window) is about 10 miles North and South and about 1 1/2 miles wide is, if anything, over stocked with 'gators. During hunting season, determined by a lottery to licensed hunters, mainly taxidermists, you can hear them out on the lake all night long on air boats. Mating season is another time when you need to watch small children and dogs, only this time on land as they move from lake to lake "searching for love".
There was a series of photos from a news paper circulating around about ten years ago showing a 'gator (7'-8') climbing a 6' chain link fence containing a small dog. This is why you never feed them. They need to be afraid of you.
But in the photo, in a fast flowing spring, you have little to fear because that's not their ideal environment. They tend to congregate in murkier, non moving, water with a lot more wild life in it.
About the only time 'gators attack adults is when you venture into their territory. They're not necessarily trying to eat you, just get you to leave, although the outcome may not be much different. :lightning
My wife likes to tell a story about growing up with her brother and living on a ski lake in Land-O-Lakes North of Tampa. They would go out in the ski boat and look for a particular 'gator, if they could find it, they would go ahead and ski, otherwise they wouldn't. :)

Cuda
08-29-2004, 12:25 PM
I've spend a lot of time on the Suwannee River, and I can tell you for a fact there are a whole lot more gators on the St John's.

gcarter
08-29-2004, 12:47 PM
I agree Joe, the Harris Chain and the St. Johns have it locked up. Of course, all that water ends up in the St. Johns, doesn't it.

Cuda
08-29-2004, 01:33 PM
I think one of the reasons the Suwannee doesn't have as many gators is due to guys like Debbie's brother and dad. Her dad told me he knows where there are 300 gator caves on that river.

Here's her brother, you do the math! :)

Trueser
11-04-2004, 09:37 PM
So here is a question.

Since I have this wide open would I put the tank in its original spot or move it back ?

MOP
11-04-2004, 11:56 PM
I have an 86 22C/350, I think its a question of balance, I am not sure about moving weight aft either. The boat is so agile, but it may help top end. Not sure how much it would effect the way it feels now. Would love some input from other SB 22's that have played with moving weight aft.

Phil

gcarter
11-05-2004, 05:02 AM
Mike, before I removed mine, I made a sketch of the position of the old one, including fore and aft, side to side, and height to stringers or bulkheads so that if I changed nothing, I could put it back in the same place.
FWIW, I increased the depth slightly, so when reinstalling mine I subtracted the difference from the height measurements.
I supose if you wanted to move aft a little, you could increase the length a little and increase capacity at the same time.
Good luck. :smash:

Trueser
11-05-2004, 10:55 AM
Hey Phil.
Have you replaced your tank already?

Do you have the part number?

Thanks Mike

MOP
11-05-2004, 01:37 PM
Hey Phil.
Have you replaced your tank already?

Do you have the part number?

Thanks Mike

Mike so far so good, but I think it will be by any time just judging by the age. First thing I do when I remove the cover is to stick my nose in the bilge, when I first got it it did have a light odor but found carb fitting weeping since no odor. Not sure how long I can milk it, from what I have been told it was a fresh water boat for at least quite some time. 18 years is 18 years so I will keep good check on it. About you initial ? I have been hoping to hear some input on weight transfer. I have logged nearly 800 miles on it this season and am more than happy with ride and handling would hate to upset that. I am very open to input and hope some comes our way.

Phil