PDA

View Full Version : Deck-off...Day 3

Tony
08-26-2004, 12:50 PM
The tank is in and the hull is painted. Other than running out of foam things went well. Check out the picture of how we blocked the tank in place so it wouldn't lift or wander!

One thing you must do early if tackling this project:
Measure carefully the location and height of your original tank. I did not, and had to rely on pictures and "deck-off" measurements to re-locate the new tank. Centering is important to align with the site gauge glass see-thru in your cockpit floor, and height is important so your supply elbow does not hit the bottom of the ski locker!

Others have added an inch or two to their new tank depth for more capacity, there is room for that and it is a good idea, although I didn't do it.

DAULEY
08-26-2004, 12:59 PM
tony
looks great
how long did it take to get your gas tank
love the bracing job
joist hanger were a good idea
keep up the great work
my deck is off andtank is out now just need a tank
bob

penbroke
08-26-2004, 01:19 PM
Looking good Tony! You'll be back in the water before you know it. :yes:

Yes, locating the tank is not as simple as one might think.

Frank,
Been there, done that, where do I get my t-shirt? :confused:

Morgan's Cloud
08-26-2004, 01:31 PM
Thanks for keeping us updated with pics Tony ,

You say you ran short of foam ... how much did you use before you were out .. I think you said earlier that you bought the one gallon kits .. how many ..?
How was the foam to use ? How quickly did you have to pour it and how much did it expand ? More or less than you thought it would ?

As you can guess I'm still waiting for mine ...

Steve

Brad Lyon
08-26-2004, 04:06 PM
Nice job Tony! Just one question though...WHERE THE HELL IS YOUR MASK! You took the time to cover your floor but not your lungs?

Brad

Ranman
08-26-2004, 05:33 PM
A cople questions.

I see the blue tape and cardboard on the tank and stringers, but none on the outside of the boat. Was overspray a problem?

You will be sealing up the holes that mounted the joist hangers to the stringers right? How? With what? How many holes for the joist hangers?

How did you paint the area under the motor? Wouldn't it have been easier to remove the motor all together and tape up the transom assembly? you did get paint under there right?

Lastly, it looks great, I bet your itchin' to get her back together. Nice work there Tony.

Brad Lyon
08-26-2004, 06:24 PM
Randy,

I thought my son Kyle asked alot of questions.....Geeeezzzzeee

Brad

Ranman
08-26-2004, 06:36 PM
MAybe we both have a thirst for knowledge. :biggrin.:

Rootsy
08-26-2004, 07:26 PM
i sprayed some DP primer once with just a dust mask, in the shop with the doors open on one balmy summer night in 1998.. my head wasn't quite right for a few days after that... that crap will mess with you pretty badly and there are some serious chemicals in this stuff.. it is respirator minimum these days... and 99% of the time one of the moon suits also... since you can absorb through the skin...

mr pearson could probably give us the MIT dissertation on this kinda subject...

she looks pretty good Tony... keep up the groovy work.. before the kids take all of your time ;)

Tony
08-26-2004, 07:49 PM
That is probably not the first time that "Randy" and "thirst" were used in the same sentence.

The tarp on the barn floor is always there, keeps the dust down apparently. I did not do it just to spray. Yes, no mask, does it matter if it is water based paint or not? No overspray, either, we watched for that as we started up. It is a HVLP Wagner 2900 sprayer, supposedly putting 90% of the product on the target, as opposed to 50% with the other kind (High Pressure Low Volume?).

You're ****tin' me, right Randy? Pull my motor??? I am tickled pink to be tackling this project, there is no way in hell I would attempt to pull my motor. I know some guys can do it in their sleep but I am NOT one of them. I barely know what a bell-housing is much less able to disconnect one. And, it's a damn good thing my AQ200 never breaks because I would need major help fixing it.

So anyway, I sprayed the hull as far as I could reach under the motor and that is that. Very hard to see the area I missed, plus it is grey like my new paint and in decent shape.

Joist hanger holes were filled with 5200, all we used were two small screws for each hanger. 5200 was also used to seal and secure the new PVC drain tube, which in turn was surrounded by foam.

I bought two 4 lb. density, 1 cubic foot kits ($16.50 each) of foam from US Composites. I ordered two more but will likely end up using three total. Best bet is to buy the 16 lb. kit, 4 cubic feet, @ $48.00...that should be enough for most jobs. I ended up spending $64 for that same amount. Here is the link again: http://uscomposites.com/foam.html

The foam, in my mind, did not expand like I thought it should. We mixed 16 oz. batches, but it would be all right to mix a larger amount. I bought some 1 qt. containers that we just threw away after using. We stirred for 20 or 30 seconds, then poured it in. It only takes about 2 or 3 minutes for it to be done expanding and hardening. I plan on topping it off, trimming it, then sealing it with resin.

Here is what is taking my time away from my tank job! Furniture stores have mostly crap, and the better stuff costs a mint. So we bought good quality unfinished bedroom stuff from a company called MACO, and I am staining and finishing it myself. It is sanded, taped, and stained...now I will use the sprayer to put on several coats of a satin polyacrylic.

Ranman
08-26-2004, 08:37 PM
You're ****tin' me, right Randy? Pull my motor??? I am tickled pink to be tackling this project, there is no way in hell I would attempt to pull my motor.

Oh, but a deck-off tank re-do is cake. :jestera:

Engine pull difficulty = 5
Deck off Tank redo = 8.5
Engine pull with deck off = 2

Anyway, I'm just giving you crap Tony. Like I said before, you got balls. I don't tinkk anything about pulling my motor, but cringe at reoving the deck.

THanks for the answers on the holes and other stuff. THink of how much more confidence you'll have in her when you're done.

gcarter
08-26-2004, 08:58 PM
Well Tony, I got the phone call from the tank company yesterday. So I'm driving up to Perry, Florida tomorrow to pick it up. They said 3 1/2 weeks and it was so almost to the day.
I've arranged to rent a 1500 sq. ft. warehouse with a truss roof to do it in. So I'll be moving it in about a week.
BTW, it looks great. Excellent execution. :yes: