PDA

View Full Version : Raised hatch height Questions

Chili 18
08-25-2004, 11:42 AM
Greetings all,

I have been a lurker till now. This board has been a great help in learning much about my "new" 1987 18 2+3. What started as a quick trip {bought for 7k last fall from georga} to some Donzi type fun. Something craved since mini kid hood... Has become an expensive journey. Sound familiar??? Its been resprayed in Awl-grip all over in the stock scheme of white deck, red sides and stripe. All new Built Rite interior. New Vortex crate motor. Gaffrig II in a custom dash... Etc... As the old center risers were freeze cracked, I opted for IMCO thumper manifolds and risers. Due to the exhaust and higher carb position on the vortex..... The old hatch wont close. So. Ive done some digging on the board, but haven't found much on raised hatches. Lots of info on scoops and such... But thats not the look I want to end up with. Does anyone know how much height the new style raised hatch from donzi will add in inches vs the flat style? Also I think its raised more in the center than on the sides, correct? Do the higher side areas cover the exhaust riser location? I need about 3-4 inches overall. Also, any idea what they cost and how to order. Direct from Donzi or thru a dealer...?

My other option is to cut some holes for now, and do some glass work over the winter, thou im not looking forward to another big project if the factory one will work and isnt too overpriced... "Relatively speaking of course..."

Thanks in advance,

Barry
1987 18 2+3 {yet to get wet this year}

Ranman
08-25-2004, 12:47 PM
Barry, I think what you want to get your hands on is a 1993-1996 vintage hatch. These hatches had a center section that was raised significantly, but still had a "stock" Donzi appearance. My '96 boat had this hatch. The '97 and on hatches hav a raised section, but I don't think it will giv you any additional clearance over a flat hatch. Look in the registry for a 94-96 18 Classic to see what I mean. Maybe someone here could pull some strings to see if the Donzi factory still has the mold and can pop you one through your dealer.

Here's a few pics of the raised hatch I'm talking about:
http://www.donzi.net/hull/DNAC8035J495/Boat5bmp.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/hull/DNAC8035J495/boat4bmp.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/hull/DNAC8030L596/crazy%20horse.jpg

Ranman
08-25-2004, 01:03 PM
Here's the underside of the hatch I'm talking about.

http://www.donzi.net/hull/DNAC8037J495/Vroomin.jpg

gcarter
08-25-2004, 01:23 PM
Eugene Nahemow made a mold for a scoop for his 18. He did a thread on it. You might do a search for it.

Ranman
08-25-2004, 04:33 PM
I can try... Honestly, the hump in my hatch is small in area and very short. I doubt it adds any significant height to the hatch. I'll try to measure and post a pic of my hatch when I get a chance.

Sagbay32
08-25-2004, 04:40 PM
Thanks Randy....now I miss my old boat again lol

Mike

Eugene Nahemow
08-25-2004, 08:11 PM
Here is an image of my hatch which I had made.
I had to be able to clear twin carbs and headers.

Chili 18
08-25-2004, 08:30 PM
[QUOTE=Ranman]Barry, I think what you want to get your hands on is a 1993-1996 vintage hatch. These hatches had a center section that was raised significantly, but still had a "stock" Donzi appearance.

Yes, Thats what I had in mind. Sort of thought about cutting out an area, raising it in a frame, and glassing it all back together. Lots of fun eh... Would be easier to find a 93-96 style hatch, Thou could just cut my area for now and save the reconstruction job for the winter. Hmmm.. Nope, still sounds easier to locate one... :-)

The added space would be good. Could use a taller flame arrester... Thou it would be difficult for 'donzi girls' to tan upon...

Im busy putting things back together after finally having it home from paint and engine shops. CANT WAIT to go for a ride!!!!!

Eugene, You did a fantastic job with your hatch. You should see if anyone else wants them and consider making more.

Eugene Nahemow
08-26-2004, 10:44 AM
Usually what I have done are one off prototypes. This means they are costly. The only way that you can produce these things that are somewhat affordable is to do them in volume.

When I had the chromed engine vents reproduced, I had to have 20 made to make it worthwhile.

You could buy a boat for the cost that it takes to foam, mold, glass, sand, fill, prime, fill, sand and paint thses hatches.
I still also have to design a metal grill for the scoop opening, have it water jet cut, and then probably have it chromed. :frown:

As far as the hatches go Lenny would be the man to produce them.

Poodle, luckily I am all wired.

mattyboy
08-26-2004, 01:17 PM
PSSST, Eugene: Forgot to tell ya, keep Matty away from your wiring :eek: :eek:

why is everyone always picking on me??? :tongue:
what did I do??
jeez
:rolleyes:

;) :)