PDA

View Full Version : Dollies/Jacks/Cradle - How to Support a Boat Without a Trailer?

Ranman
08-23-2004, 04:52 PM
Will someone educate me on how to store my boat without it's trailer? I want to get the trailer out from under the boat this winter to do some refurbishing work.

What products are available, what do they cost, and what are the pros and cons of each? I'm thinking a nice cradle like the ones you see at the factory or in boat dealers would be cool, but are they pricey? What about those jacks or stands? How do those work and how do you properly place use them? All discussion is welcome.

tmdog
08-23-2004, 05:24 PM
I made my own. Went to home depot and purchased 2 furniture dollies with 4 swivel wheels. Also picked up a lenght of 2 by 10 lumber. Out one of my empty beer cases I have I made a template of the stern and one of the bow about4-5 ft. from the front, than tranfer to board, cut and apply to dolley. When finished use floor jack to place dollies and able to move my 18 anywhere I want. Will try to take photo and post. If you think dolley is too flimsy, beef it up w/ some lumber. Mine worked fine aS STORE BOUGHT.sorry for the type my dog wants attentio/ His dumb ass wants to go out.

Lenny
08-23-2004, 05:37 PM
I could make you one of these. They support it fully where need be. Nice and mobile, very easy to push around and foamed to prevent even the slightest contact scratch.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/lenny1805.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/lenny1808.jpg

David Ochs
08-23-2004, 05:44 PM
I have some pictures on the Registry #562, that show a very sturdy structure(albeit primitive) that I used when restoring my boat. I've kept these timbers and cradles to use whenever I need to work on the trailer. The timbers are 6x6 from various jobs of mine. The only purchased lumber was the plywood used for gussetts and the cradles.
It may be difficult to see the make-shift hoist. I used some 3/8" chain and a threaded eyebolt. As goofy as this thing looks, it's strong as hell and you can tear it down to store it.
Good luck,
Dave O.

Ranman
08-23-2004, 07:13 PM
I could make you one of these. They support it fully where need be. Nice and mobile, very easy to push around and foamed to prevent even the slightest contact scratch.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/lenny1805.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/lenny1808.jpg

Ooooh! Go on. Maybe a kit I could assemble at home to save on shipping?

Lenny
08-23-2004, 07:28 PM
I could do a flat pack deal for you if you are interested. I think I used 5 sheets of ply for this. The foam was worth about $5.00, ply about $150. Castors are up to you but I put on large 360 deg. swivels front and back. It makes for easy movement. What are we looking at? 2500 lbs? The threaded 1" rod was to "tweak" for the radius in the lift strakes but as it turned out they were already right on without this added ordeal. Now it is just a nice "option" as you know that the vertical supports will never roll-over. They sit loose on the 2 1/4" foundation and are only tied in at the ends. REALLY tied in. :D

Brad Lyon
08-23-2004, 07:49 PM
Randy,

I can help you out with castors. A friend of mine is a distributor for some very nice ones. How about Lenny just furninsh you with the plans, you could come over to the Home Depot at 12 Mile and Stephenson, buy the wood, bring the wood over to my house about a mile away, and we could cut all the wood up and assemble it in a few hours.

Brad

Woodworkers rule to live by: If you can't glue it screw it!

Lenny
08-23-2004, 08:08 PM
Works for me. NO PROBLEM :D Brad and Randy.

Tell you what, I will do up the plans for this thing (any 18) mail them to you as well as templates (paper) for inner and outer strakes and ALL dimensions, a construction layout.
YOU put a TINY price to it, and offer it up to any Donzi Registry member, any Donzi Club member, via YOU, :D , and other than your postage, put a percentage of the money into this site and a percentage into the Midwest club.

I owe you guys many times over. :yes:

Brad Lyon
08-23-2004, 08:30 PM
Can you email or fax me a simple hand sketch. I can draw it up in both AutoCAD and MasterCam from that and plot out several full size plans/templates.

Brad

Lenny
08-24-2004, 09:27 AM
Brad, will do. Send me your address and Zip 'n stuff and give me a bit of time to "Whip" it up. highlnd@telus.net

Gulfbum
08-24-2004, 10:57 AM
Could one of these dollies work for a 25Z?

Lenny
08-24-2004, 11:33 AM
If it was about twice as long and completely different.

Rootsy
08-24-2004, 11:43 AM
Brad,

if you need any help with detailing, modeling or fabrication give me a hollar... i'm happy to give you a hand...

Tom Davis
08-24-2004, 12:14 PM
Hey Randy! We missed you and Jen at Winni this year!

That dolly is very cool but what do you do with it when your done??? Most boat haulers and marinas will rent you a small set of jack stands by the month (cheap). Or you can by them at any good marine supply place.

Advantage, depending on how much storage space you have around your place. The cool thing about the dolly is that you could fit the boat in the garage without the trailer and work on it all winter! Just my .02 Take care my friend.

Tell Jen I said Hi.

Ton Davis
Winni Bandits