PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Drive Question

BFRANK
08-23-2004, 04:39 PM
I have 69 18 2+3 with a H/M tagged Volvo drive. It has recently developed a leak around the prop shaft. I attempted to remove the shaft and bearing assembly myself using the slide hammer method with no luck. So she's now sitting down at the local marina. After speaking with the mechanic this morning I have some concerns. First he claims the drive is a 250 rather than a 270. Also, he explained that he wanted to fabricate a puller and remove the bearing assembly using the boltholes for the zinc and using the prop shaft as the puller mount. I explained to him that that the prop shaft and assembly came out as one unit. In addition, I felt the threads for the zinc were not strong enough. So I have two questions 1. How can I tell whether its a 250 or a 270 drive and 2. Is there a trick to removing the prop shaft and bearing assembly?

MOP
08-23-2004, 08:00 PM
Remove the bolts use use a small block of wood and a hammer to tap it to rotate the bearing housing then tap lightly on the ears from side to side the housing should come out relitively easy leave the prop shaft alone! Change the seals and be done with it.

MOP

mattyboy
08-24-2004, 08:16 AM
there should be a metal tag on the upper housing it will have
a number on it 250xxxxxxxb
what is important is the 250 and the B
that tells you it is a 250 drive and a B ratio
also for the most part 250 have a short shaft that is not threaded in the end 270 for the most part are long shafts that have a bold that threads into the shaft to hold the cone on, the 250 and 270 are pretty much interchangeable.
hope that helps

Matty

BFRANK
08-24-2004, 08:17 AM
Thanks, I'll give it a try.