PDA

View Full Version : Control won't engage forward or reverse

DonziMon
08-23-2004, 11:30 AM
The Quicksilver Commander 3000 on my 97 Classic 22 will not engage forward or reverse (the "Throttle Only" button stays in). After making a few calls to area shops and doing an internet search I found that this is a fairly common problem. There was also a recall for the exact same problem but my part number doesn't match up. Of the others here who have experienced this did you just simply replace the unit, or go with another. Any sources with a best price would be very helpful too. I'm kinda of leaning toward a foot pedal eventually but right now just want to finish out the season.

Thanks,

Wade

DonziMon
08-25-2004, 08:22 AM
Has anybody had any experience with this? Is the unit worth rebuilding?

Thanks

Mr X
08-25-2004, 09:01 AM
It is not worth rebuilding.......I had the same problem MANY times. I installed a new one and it did it in less than a month.

It has to do with too much pre-load on your shift cable........
once the button is pushed, it wont re-engage.....
try checking the adjustment on the shifter bracket on the engine.
Dont do the foot pedal...........you will hate it in any kind of choppy condition.

tmdog
08-25-2004, 10:09 AM
If you are referring to a foot throttle versus a manual, I prefer a foot better control and keep 2 hands on wheel. Had one on a 18 yrs. ago in salt and now in fresh. Beats the hand trottle hands down. With foot you are able to time wakes better and I had no difficulty in rough water.

DonziMon
08-25-2004, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the responses.

If the Quicksilver controls go bad that often it sure seems like a design flaw to me, especially considering the price ($225 -$300).

This article is what caught my attention on the foot throttles:
http://www.bassandwalleyeboats.com/site_page_898/article_page_203.html

Mr X
08-25-2004, 10:39 AM
Its all preference, I have owned MANY boats with a foot throttle and it is a great safety factor.
I just did not like the 22 classic with it.
In rough water it was very difficult to keep the throttle steady.

blackhawk
08-25-2004, 01:26 PM
If you are referring to a foot throttle versus a manual, I prefer a foot better control and keep 2 hands on wheel. Had one on a 18 yrs. ago in salt and now in fresh. Beats the hand trottle hands down. With foot you are able to time wakes better and I had no difficulty in rough water.

I thought about a foot throttle but decided to put my tab control in my throttle handle instead. When I'm running hard in sloppy water I'm bracing myself so hard with my feet that sometimes I think I'm gonna push right through the fiberglass! There's no way I could use a foot throttle.

DonziMon
08-25-2004, 04:39 PM
Now that you mention it; I do have my legs back with my feet under the seat for bracing when it's really rough and/or I need to go faster. Can't use a foot pedal there!

Thanks for your first hand input, HP

Is there a better and more reliable control to use other than the Quicksilver? Anybody here using a Teleflex SL-3?

http://www.rexmar.com/page112.html

DonziMon
09-03-2004, 07:46 PM
Well I couldn't find any info on using a different control nor could I find any discount pricing so I bought a stock replacement. I figured I might as well replace all the cables too since if they were binding it would shorten the life of my new control. Parts, including tax and shipping = $650 :( It's a good thing that I'm paying myself for the labor.

RickR
09-04-2004, 10:48 AM
Donzimon
Squirt some cleaner/lubricant around the shift lever button and wiggle the lever until it pops out. Then blow the cleaner out with some compressed air and relube with grease.
Also, remove the rear cap on the drive then clean and lube the detent ball and spring.

I'm with 600SC, foot throttles are for Bass boats.
While high performance driving I move my 22's seat forward and push my feet against the bulkhead so my butt stays planted in the seat :rlol:

Greg K
09-07-2004, 07:20 AM
The Mercury part no. 827270A43 for the controller.
Control cables should only run aout $20 each.

DonziMon
09-07-2004, 02:47 PM
:rolleyes: Oops, it's that over 40 disease... I mean't $460. The control was $294.80, 12' cable $32.50, 13' cable $33.50 and the cable going to the drive was $63, plus $7.30 for shipping. I searched everywhere for the elusive under $250 control; lots listed but nobody had them for a couple of weeks, all "Out of stock". I called Merc themselves and they showed almost 900 units in the warehouses with about half of them just 5 hours up the road from me. Mine still took 3 days to come from Wisconsin. I was able to finish most of the job (all except the stern cable) when Frances closed the marina.