PDA

View Full Version : Annapolis Fun Run

bverd
08-23-2004, 11:16 AM
Here are some pictures from our informal get together. We were rained out on Saturday and moved it to Sunday. Glad we did, it was beautiful.

http://atlanticcoastdonzi.com/gallery/events04_annapolis_aug

--bverd

Greg Maier
08-23-2004, 06:08 PM
It was a great time. We got lucky and were able to line up the boats at Pussers Pier in Annapolis. We ate lunch there. The only drawback was the rough water. This was the first time I saw Dr. Dans repowered boat. I know one thing, that certainly isn't a stock HP500. That thing sounds more like a Nascar Engine than a Big Block Chevy. When he comes by you, the sound is deafening. Brad was there with his X-18, not enjoying the rough seas, but looking good while getting pounded. At one point, there was a 100 foot MegaYacht powering down the Severn, and squatting badly. Her wake was so big that Liz told me that my boat dissapeared from sight when I was in the trough. It must have been 10 feet tall, biggest wake I have ever seen. FastTrucker was there in his 26ZX. It is very obvious that he has had some work done to that engine. It sounds great.

We saw several Donzi's throughout the day, and all were friendly except this guy in a Blackhawk LE. We were all pulled over to the side of the Severn River to take a rest from the beating of the waters, and a Blackhawk LE passed us twice without ever acknowledging our presence.

N2DEEP
08-23-2004, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the pix, bverd. Wish I could have made it. :bawling: I wonder how much air one can get off a 10 foot wake?? :p

Dr. Dan
08-23-2004, 08:37 PM
:wavey: Well it was pretty rough in spots...if the Wind Blown Chop didn't get ya....the Cruiser Wakes absolutely destroyed any Cadence ya had navigating any of the waters!

Some very impressive Real Estate and Yachts.......

Sandy Point State Park is a very nice facility...must have over 12 lanes to launch/retreive. It offers nice picnic grounds and Pavillions...I think it would make a great focal point for a Future Gathering of Major Proportions. We could also cruise over the Bridge and launch at the Ramp across from Red Eyes...although it does not compare to Sandy Point.

Although the Broad section of the Bay is rough for even larger boats...once you are across it in the more protected waters...there is some awesome running and scenery....had it been more calm we could've explored St. Michaels, Kent Narrows, Chester and Choptank Rivers.... I don't know what would be the best time of year to add a Picnic Casual type Event....but it could be a floating event...we could change the location each year.....that way no would get bored...and it would offer new water each year.....?

What does the Board think? And would anyone come to the Mid Atlantic...with the exception of the West Coast and North west Boys....and the Texas Cabrones' we are a days drive....to the Annapolis area.

Thoughts? We also have other Fresh water Lakes that are in the Region too....Smith Mtn., Gaston, and the D.C. area Rivers...

Thanks for everyone who made it.....it was great to run with you all..........

Doc :D

roadtrip se
08-23-2004, 10:04 PM
48 cruiser, big beam, probably yanmar diesels with arnesons, very comfortable, very nice, very expensive. 7-800. Excellent taste. Looked like fun.

Doc, we are always up for something new...

Formula Jr
08-25-2004, 07:50 AM
Rough water in naptown?
Nar, but a pee ring in the head swill...........RRRRRRR...... :)
Seriously, "rough water?" Its not even worth doing less there's sevens with white caps. I do love that spot just off shore between the entrance to the Severn and the Bay Bridges. Its about 10 feet deep in through there so the waves can get big and start breaking and on more than one occassion I've landed on the skeg in a trough. Don't have a photo, but once I was "resting" at idle just out side of the Severn when three waves, from three different directions, all met right under my boat and sent the whole shebang four feet in the air out of the water. Made me spill my beer, damn it! More fun than three otters in a bath tub. Seriously again, if you guys see all the boats suddenly turn and head to port, or a squall line this time of year on The Bay or if its hazy and the radio starts cracking loud with blasts of static........run like HELL to THE NEAREST safe harbor. In about 20 minutes you'll know why this was a good tactic. Been through three good ones and it takes a lot of wind to haul a reefed sailboat 90 degrees over. I'm not religious, but there were times on The Bay when I could see merit in the idea.

Dr. Dan
08-25-2004, 08:53 AM
:wink: Owen ...I have had my share of fun in larger boats and once in a go fast....it was not pretty...it was Cecil B DeMills 10 Commandments and the Full Wrath of God unleashed.....soooooooooooo I always watch the skies....

Over the 4th we were up the Sassafras at Ordinary Point...and I could just start to see some Thunderheads Rolling in...we made pace quickly back up the Northeast...it ended up heading South....but ya haven't boated 'til ya get your butt(boat) spanked like a baby....in water that suddenly is not nearly as inviting as it looked from the shore? :bonk:

Doc :rlol:

RickSE
08-25-2004, 12:56 PM
My parents grew up in D.C. and used to boat a lot in the area. Best story was one where ther pulled into a cove to get away from a storm and took a nap. When they woke up they discovered all the water was gone and the boat sitting high and dry. I guess the storm surge and tide had pulled all the water out of the cove. A lot of other good stories about them trying to cross the bay in a 18' Baurm (SP??).

Marlin275
08-25-2004, 01:16 PM
That bay can get wilder than the ocean!
We lost the mast on a 37ft trimaran
at the mouth of the Potomac river.
Went right over the side.

Yellowdonzi67
08-26-2004, 12:21 AM
wish to hell i knew about this. My house is right on the Magothy and would have loved to have seen some other donzis out on the water.

Dr. Dan
08-26-2004, 05:07 AM
:wavey: Jim ...Don't feel bad...this was really a diluted assembly of a few of us locals(within a 2 hour radius)who were originally going to do a "Red Eyes Weekend Run"...due to scheduling and timing issues...it sort of "distilled down" to the 4 boats we had....

I think the general consensus was it was nice enough that we'd be game to find some water with less Cruiser wakes...and more opportunity to really run out our little boats... :crossfing

:smash: This year is pretty full for me....but I think we can explore alot of options for next Season....keep your eyes peeled and email me your numbers...and I'll put ya on the emailing list.

Doc :bighug:

Formula Jr
08-26-2004, 06:09 AM
Yellowdonzi, you're on the Magothy? Cool! I grewup right next to Ferry Point, five houses from the entrance to Mill Creek. You could show these guys Doben's Island (Dutch Ship) - if it still has public access. The idea of a gang of "damn donzis" running around the bay is interesting.

Greg Maier
08-26-2004, 08:22 AM
Formula Jr.

It is interesting that you say that, because later in the day, I pulled up to the Jetty for a beer and a guy came up to me and asked if I had been with that group of Donzi's that was running up and down the Severn earlier in the day. This guy was a Donzi admirer and he said that his friend called him to tell him about this gang of Donzi's that was on the Severn.

Greg Maier
08-28-2004, 12:39 PM
Some more pics of the Fun Run:

http://atlanticcoastdonzi.com/gallery/members_gmaier

Yellowdonzi67
08-30-2004, 10:27 AM
i think dobens is private property still but the owners let anyone who wants to use it. Its been about a year or two since ive been there but i think i heard they bought it to keep it as a public access island. Haha i can see the news article now, "Local Gang of Donzi's terrorize the neighborhood" Hey Btw do any of you know of a good place to get a sea water pump for a 302 Ford. It went right after the carb :(

fishnfool
08-30-2004, 04:18 PM
James,

Check over at Cobe Marine. A friend of mine just picked up a pump for his '69 there. It cost about $180 for the whole set up.

Paul

Yellowdonzi67
08-30-2004, 06:37 PM
Haha thats really weird, i went to Kobe right before i posted. They didnt have mine, nor would a bolt on fit. The pump says Sherwood Brass on it, and ive emailed sherwood but that was only about an hour ago, so i wont hear from them until tomorrow. Im planning on going back to Kobe tomorrow to see if theres anything else they can do for me. Do you know the specs of your friends motor, outdrive and pump? That would be helpful as a reference. Thanks
-James

fishnfool
08-31-2004, 06:11 AM
James,

I can get the specs and the pump manufacturer name today. I will get back to you on that. He was looking for a shaft and finally got one after much searching, but the pump grenaded after running for a few minutes. He went to Cobe and they told him there was a replacement set-up for that pump (Jabsco). So far it seems to be flawless. It bolts to the front pulley and has a stabilizer arm, but he had to modify the arm for it to fit properly. If this needs to be done I'm sure he would be more than happy to do it for you. (You own a donzi).
He is a welder by trade.

Paul

Yellowdonzi67
08-31-2004, 02:35 PM
Yeah they gave me the same option, and said that we needed at least 4 inches in front of the crank to mount it. When i measured the battery was like 5 but there wasnt enough room on top, If he did get one in there thats the way id like to go, with the bolt on, as opposed to the pulley driven. Thanks