PDA

View Full Version : I hate weeds ! Need help !

Sam
08-22-2004, 07:53 PM
I am having a big problem getting out out of my canal without suking weeds into my Alhpa SS. As you know they have to small pick up points on the lower sides of the gear case. With no screen to cover the holes they love to suck weeds and such. I am thinking of installing a raw water water pump to cool the engine and bypass the pick ups. If any of you have done this before I would really like to hear from you and find out more about your set up.

Thanks In Advance
Sam

gcarter
08-22-2004, 08:12 PM
Sam, this is what I'm doing;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36014&highlight=strainer

might be kind of tight in a 16, but there's all kinds of variations on this.

Cuda
08-22-2004, 08:19 PM
Sam, I've had a lot more trouble with weeds clogging my offshore intakes than I ever had with the drive intakes.

gcarter
08-22-2004, 08:22 PM
Get towed by an airboat till you get to clear water!! :D :D
:wavey:

Rootsy
08-23-2004, 07:40 AM
Sammy... poor chap....

there is always the PADDLE til ya get swept away in the current... :jestera:

yes you can go with a bravo accessory system... your alternator will get relocated to accomodate the water pump which then takes that spot...

just seal up the low water pickups with some Devcon (remove impeller), plug the hole in the transom shield just for good measure and run a transom mounted pickup...

i have no experience with the transom mounted stuff and weed suckage though.

or you can be like others we know and carry your steel leader, snorkle and goggles and go diving ;)

JR - highly watered :)

mattyboy
08-23-2004, 07:43 AM
Sam,
I have a thru hull pick up on my 16, It was that way when I bought it. It takes brass ones to drill a 1 1/2 inch hole in the bottom of a boat :eek: but I never have weed problems when others have with drive pickups. Maybe a transom pickup

gcarter
08-23-2004, 08:05 AM
Sam, if you do go the transom pickup, if you were to use a Johnson crank driven pump, you don't need to relocate any of your other components. It adds about 3" to the length of the engine. Also if you use a Stainless Marine pickup instead of the one offered by Mercruiser, it is substantially shorter
and enters the boat at a much lower point.
:wavey:

Ranman
08-23-2004, 08:19 AM
Break out the underwater lawn mower in that canal. :D :D

Cuda
08-23-2004, 08:22 AM
Electric trolling motor with a weedguard?

mattyboy
08-23-2004, 08:29 AM
or stock the lake with lesbian carp :eek: :p

Sam
08-23-2004, 09:30 AM
I like the carp idea..............hmmmmm ?

smokediver
08-23-2004, 12:17 PM
we have some extra manatees here ... might be helpful although you may not be able to use your boat :hyper:

fasttrucker
08-23-2004, 08:20 PM
Could you add a sea-strainer? I have a low water pickup lower unit,Bravo drive..everything gets sucked into my sea-strainer, bought mine from teaque marine.

Cuda
08-23-2004, 10:38 PM
I have sea strainers also, but that doesn't help when the entire pick up is blocked.

Jerry Eisele
08-24-2004, 06:10 PM
Sam, I've had my ss apart three times this year, do to the weeds. I'm thinking abought the same idea. The marina I get parts from said to contact Merc. to be sure I don't need the water going thru the drive for cooling? I do have a drive cooler, but I haven't called Merc. to ask the question.
Are you coming to Erie Sept. 18th?

JERRY

gcarter
08-24-2004, 06:36 PM
I have sea strainers also, but that doesn't help when the entire pick up is blocked.
Joe, I'm speaking from a point of ignorance here, I've never had an outdrive before, but might it be easier to clean a pickup than a outdrive leg?