PDA

View Full Version : Astor to Silver Glen today

Cuda
08-22-2004, 05:43 PM
We finally got the 302 out for the first time since late April! :(

We trailered up to Astor and put in there at the public boat launch.

This is just off the ramp, headed north down river towards the bridge at SR 40.

Cuda
08-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Blair's Jungle Den. When are the Seadogs going there again? Looks like a great spot for a meet.

Cuda
08-22-2004, 05:46 PM
The old girl got a chance to stretch her legs a bit once we hit Lake George. I thought she might be cranky after ignoring her so long, but she ran like the wind. :)

Cuda
08-22-2004, 05:48 PM
I didn't go up in the spring run itself, last time I was there there were so many people swimming, floating, and wading around that I was afraid my surface drive would become a people blender.

At the entrance to the Glen.

Cuda
08-22-2004, 05:51 PM
Ran through a little shower on the way back, man those drops sting!

When we got back to the boat launch, there was a bass club having a tournament and in their infinite wisdom, they decided to have the weigh in at the only public ramp in town. One jackass tied his boat up to the dock, then sauntered down with his bag of fish to be weighed. I was livid! It took 45 minutes to get to the dock. There were more boats milling around than shows in this picture.

Cuda
08-22-2004, 05:52 PM
Before we left, I was going to tighten all the belts. While I was in the garage rounding up the tools, Debbie had already moved the seat and was waiting for the tools, so I let her do it. Every single belt was way loose. I couldn't believe we hadn't slung one off already.

gcarter
08-22-2004, 05:58 PM
Lake George is such a wonderfully large lake, it must have been fun to run her like that.
BTW, I found out some years ago that it's REAL thin :eek:
I have some customers on the West shore between the Glen and Salt Springs. It seems the lake increases in depth about one foot per 100 feet from shore. Property values there are pretty reasonable but it'll get you putting in a dock. Generally they're 300' to 500' long.

Speed-Racer
08-22-2004, 05:59 PM
Cuda, looks like a good time...wish I was out there

Cuda
08-22-2004, 06:12 PM
George, I don't know the lake well, but I was just hoping there was enough water to shoot across to SG. Apparently, there is. :) The worse part was doing the slalom thing with the crab traps. I'd hate to run that lake on a choppy day when it would be hard to see the bouys for the traps.

gcarter
08-22-2004, 06:21 PM
It seems to be deeper going into the Glen, and I think the worst of it is at the juncture to the river North of Astor where that big barricade is.
It's probably OK 1/4 mile off shore.
Also, you do know about the bombing range, don't you?
:wavey:

Cuda
08-22-2004, 06:39 PM
Also, you do know about the bombing range, don't you?
:wavey:

I saw it on a chart. This is only the second time I've been on the lake. Both times just to the Glen.

Cuda
08-22-2004, 06:44 PM
It sure felt strange to put away the boat today without having to flush the engines or rinse the trailer down. :cool:

Fish boy
08-22-2004, 08:10 PM
Ran through a little shower on the way back, man those drops sting!

When we got back to the boat launch, there was a bass club having a tournament and in their infinite wisdom, they decided to have the weigh in at the only public ramp in town. One jackass tied his boat up to the dock, then sauntered down with his bag of fish to be weighed. I was livid! It took 45 minutes to get to the dock. There were more boats milling around than shows in this picture.

Seems to me the "b" on Bass club should be silent. Just remeber them the next time they are casting their baits near where you are boating- I rekon dem potors you got there ca scare away a fish or two.

Sounds like the rest of the day went well though. :)

fish

Speed-Racer
08-22-2004, 09:24 PM
...I'm with Fish on this one :kaioken:

florida gator
08-23-2004, 09:06 PM
Cuda
Would love to run the St Johns with you sometime. I have actually spent the day in Salt Springs then ran to Palatka to spend the night and back the next day. Boating time is becoming limited as the Gators kick off in less than 2 weeks.

I'm fighting with my wife right now over when to have my daughters bday party. Bday on Friday 9/3, Gators play 9/4. I say party on 9/5. She's not thrilled but knows I will not miss a home game!!

Last Tango
08-24-2004, 08:48 PM
I went boating this weekend at Mt. Dora. Man, that place looks WAAAAY different when there aren't 300 classic wooden boats tied to the docks or displayed on the grass. And the town had no events, so the Lakeside Inn was a ghost town. Lake was totally flat and hardly any boats at all. Only took about 10 minutes to do the Dora Canal (and a LOT of water to do it with) and then Dead River Vic's was like, well empty, although it was filling up quickly after we got there since they were hosting the the Hawiian Tropic Bikini Girls and a live band in conjunction with the local Harley dealer. Now THAT was some awesome eye candy all in one place!

gcarter
08-25-2004, 04:44 AM
I went boating this weekend at Mt. Dora. Man, that place looks WAAAAY different when there aren't 300 classic wooden boats tied to the docks or displayed on the grass. And the town had no events, so the Lakeside Inn was a ghost town. Lake was totally flat and hardly any boats at all. Only took about 10 minutes to do the Dora Canal (and a LOT of water to do it with) and then Dead River Vic's was like, well empty, although it was filling up quickly after we got there since they were hosting the the Hawiian Tropic Bikini Girls and a live band in conjunction with the local Harley dealer. Now THAT was some awesome eye candy all in one place!
Yeah Mark, that's what it's like most of the time, particularly in the summer.