PDA

View Full Version : Single to tandem axle conversion?

N2DEEP
08-20-2004, 09:45 PM
My 1970 something Caulkins single axle trailer with rollers is in good solid shape, but I think I would be more satisified with a tandem trailer under my BBC TRS 18....lots of weight right in the rear . I tow 2.5 hours each way to my lake and a couple of times things have gotten wiggly :eek: :eek: :eek: on the interstate near 70 mph.(kinda like my 18.) Would shifting the single axle and adding another be a reasonable option or should I search for a tandem trailer. I kinda like the original trailer and the $$$$ are a consideration. :rolleyes:

Dr. Dan
08-21-2004, 04:24 AM
:bonk: Deep Man.... I Tow alot...I definitely prefer the Tandems for not only stability ...but should you unfortunately have a flat/blow out...you still have 3 points of contact on the Road. I think the Shorter Hulls do get put on Single Axle Trailers due to cost savings primarily...and that there is normally no need for over kill in terms of design...and that is just the way it has been. :banghead:Today SUV's are soooo comfortable for Towing Long Hauls that few people consider the Trailer? We see more people towing longer distances on a regular basis, I cringe everytime I see someone Towing at Highway Speeds with these Micro Size Tires under PWC's..just waiting for a Wheel to go or worse...I think if your regular Water hole is over an hour or more from home, a Tandem Axle will offer peace of mind and great handling in sudden highway manuevers....

...on our way back from Winnie I had a Flat...and because we noticed it pretty quickly....it was a pretty Textbook experience....unfortunately in Towing...ya have so much Equipt to haul "Just IN Case " you need it...Jacks, Jack Stands, 4 way Wrenchs,Breaker Bars, 2 Mounted Spares, Tool Boxes to keep in the Car and one for the Boat,etc.....Boating requires alot of preparedness.... :wavey:

Gettin back to the point at hand...I prefer a dual axle Trailer for both handling and safety concerns...does it handle better...absolutely....is it necessary...probably not....but for us with a 22 it's not optional. I see alot of 18's on duals....but most on single axle Trailers..

:bonk: ..I guess it would depend on the layout of your Trailer....to me it would seem simpler to just acquire a Tandem Axle and Sell or Trade yours in on a Nice Torsion Axle Model....Aluminum of course....

We are up for a new one....this Winter....and I am going to take my time shopping for a nice Tandem Aluminum Bunk Trailer.

Marlin275
08-21-2004, 08:29 PM
I had a flat last month with a single axle
I couldn't believe it was no big deal
Tire was cut in half, no slow leak.
No loss of control and I was about 60- 65 mph
I will not worry about that.
Someone told me that single axles are much easier
to maneuver and turn?