PDA

View Full Version : Just got sour!

MOP
08-19-2004, 10:13 PM
Been working like a demon on the 22, going through a final cleanup and check out this afternoon and found it has developed a nasty short that pins a 60 AMP meter when the key is turned on was fine yesterday! Spent hours disconnecting one circuit at a time still have not found it, had to quit for the night and go at it with a clear head in the AM. I am suppose to be on the road at 1:00 tomorrow heading north may have to delay leaving until fixed. Damn if I will tow a dead boat 1200 round trip.

Phil

MOP
08-20-2004, 06:32 AM
Frigged with it under dash last night disconnected each and every gauge circuit one at a time figuring bad gauge, am headed for bilge circuits this morning. Driving me crazy last night had to give up, some times a clear head is needed. PO's me did this stuff for a lot of years should have found it in the first 1/2 hour, thankfully Bonnie is tolerant I was a wild man mast night still a bit touchy this AM. Will get back at it after I run Bonnie to work, like you say it should just jump out at me. With day light not working with drop light it hopefully will pop out at me.

Phil

Rootsy
08-20-2004, 07:29 AM
Phil,

there isnt a whole lot that'll draw 60 amps... what circuit pegs the meter? i assume a hand held meter right? if so you have to have it connected across a circuit somewhere...

there should be a 60 amp and 100 amp breaker on the starting and charging circuit from battery to alternator and starter...

to carry 60 amps continuous you need a rather large wire.. otherwise you are gonna creamate some rubber and copper... a AGW 12, 14 and 16 will NOT carry this capacity...

if you are speaking of the volt meter IN THE DASH.. if it pegs... bad ground...

MOP
08-20-2004, 02:06 PM
Jamie went at it this AM isolated it to the dash pulled the dash plug from harness then went gauge by gauge isolating each, all ohm readings on gauges OK but hot has found ground got POed took it to L&L the best shop in town and a very good buddy. He dropped everything and went at it after about 15 minutes he felt it was in the harness its self, so I am leaving as I type with a lame duck and will cut harness loose and go over each wire when I get up to the 1000 Islands. I did hot wire it and run it on the flush runs fine all OK!

Phil

BUIZILLA
08-20-2004, 02:16 PM
STARTER SOLENOID...

Ignition switch

just for grins.... swap the existing battery for another known good one..

vonkamp
08-20-2004, 04:53 PM
I have the exact same problem and its the starter solenoid. Got a new one but have not installed.