PDA

View Full Version : 1994 22 blackhawk ?????

scott snider
08-19-2004, 08:41 PM
i purchased a 1994 22 classic 502 magnum mpi.wih a bravo one drive.after bringing the boat home and looking the boat over.i discovered a 2 inch spacer between upper and lower unit apparently there to correct x demension on transom.after posting what i had found on the registry i received some information about the differances between a 22 classic blackhawk and non-blackhawk boat. i am now sure this boat is a blackhawk minus orig.drive. my exhaust outlets are higher allmost touching the rub rail.the boats gas tank extends about 10 inches into the storage compartment in the floor.the boat is equipt with k-planes.it apears to me the stringers must be larger because there is no way you could set a big block any deeper in to the hull and the 2 inch spacer was installed to correct the x dimension differances between the blackhawk outdrive and the bravo outdrive. but here is my big queston has anybody ever seen or heard of a 1994 blackhawk. maybe this is a prototype????? i dont know. thanks scott

blackhawk
08-19-2004, 08:50 PM
I thought the Blackhawks were all 95s or 96s, but I could be wrong. But, a blackhawk does not have any floor storage at all. The gas tank is in place of it. Also, the motor is set higher in the boat for the higher X. If you have a blackhawk hull, your exhaust tips will have the top portion milled off so they will fit. Here's a pic.

roadtrip se
08-19-2004, 08:53 PM
Post your serial number.. the puzzle will be solved very quickly.

Definitely sounds like a BH to me. The serial number will confirm accordingly.

Todd

Lenny
08-19-2004, 09:08 PM
Scott, who did you buy it from?... There was a Blackhawk converted to a Bravo a while back for sale here??? As Todd said, hull #...

scott snider
08-21-2004, 07:22 PM
I will post my hull number this looks greek to me.Hope some body can figure it out hull # dnac2001j394 thanks scott

105mph_38_2003
08-21-2004, 08:07 PM
Sweet boat blackhawk:biggrin: Have any more pics to share?:cistineb: :cistineb:

Mr X
08-21-2004, 08:24 PM
There were 1 or 2 boats made in 1994......prototypes
that the Blackhawk drive did not work well on.

Donzi changed the bottom of the hull by adding a rocker into the hull so that the boat would have enough bow lift for the Blackhawk drive to work well.

I bet the spacer was added to correct the X-dimension and the boat was sold with the Bravo drive on it.

My guess is that you do in fact have one of the original
Blackhawk protype boats WITHOUT the Blackhawk rocker hull.

There were two hull molds for 22's.....the standard hull mold
and the 22 Blackhawk hull mold with the rocker bottom.

blackhawk
08-21-2004, 08:44 PM
Interesting. You learn something new everyday. So, he has a 2" higher X diension on a standard bravo hull? Could he take the spacer out and have the equivelent a 2" shorty and all he'd have to buy would be a vertical shaft?

105mph, Thanks! I don't want to hi-jack this thread by posting photos. Here's a link to a few pics:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/scottelgas/album?.dir=/3937&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/scottelgas

Mr X
08-21-2004, 08:59 PM
Yes he could take it out, yes it would be the same as a shorty.
The spacer kit has a vertical shaft extension that just sits
on top of the the standard shaft.....he does not need to buy or modify anything, just take it off.

blackhawk
08-21-2004, 10:07 PM
The spacer kit has a vertical shaft extension that just sits on top of the the standard shaft.....he does not need to buy or modify anything, just take it off.

Learned two things today! :yes:

scott snider
08-22-2004, 08:57 AM
i bought the boat from a guy in South Hampton New York about a month ago.we both knew a little about blackhawks but not enough to identify one with out the blackhawk drive on it also we didnt think there where any 1994's made.the previous owner says the bravo drive with the spacer was on the boat when he bought it. im convinced after looking at many pictures of blackhawks and non-blackhawks that it is infact a blackhawk hull.is there a way to brake down the hull number to identify these boats or is there a database somewhere to look them up on? do these boats have taller stringers in them to raise the x demension it sure looks like it to me? how can i spot the rocker that was added in some hulls is it apparent or do i need a straight edge to see if its there? the boat is in good orginal condition except for the very faded gelcoat.i already removed the engine and drive i had planed to do some modifactions to the engine and repaint the boat a different color.but if there is some historical value to this boat i will probably leave it all stock. wet sand the hull and put a coat of clear imron on it.thanks very much for the help so far i have recieved in trying to identify this boat. i will take some pictures and try and post them. thanks scott

Lenny
08-22-2004, 09:04 AM
Scot, the rocker in the hull (Blackhawk) is VERY apparent. Go to the back of the boat, get down on the ground and look forward under the hull towards the bow. You will see a line across the bottom of the hull from port to starboard, where the natural "flow" of the lines of the hull change, (as in a reflection that will appear as a line across port and starboard, and this is where the rocker was cut in. It is very visibil. Take a picture if you like of the underdide of your boat looking towards the bow. It happens about 8-10 feet from the transom.

scott snider
08-22-2004, 11:50 AM
i looked at the bottom of the hull and i cant see any rocker as was discribed.if i run this boat without the two inch spacer in the outdrive will i have to have a low water pickup? thanks scott

Mr X
08-22-2004, 12:15 PM
i looked at the bottom of the hull and i cant see any rocker as was discribed.if i run this boat without the two inch spacer in the outdrive will i have to have a low water pickup? thanks scott
Good question, does your Bravo have the low water pick up?
If it has the regular pick up on it, like you would have to use the "ear muff" style flush attachment, you could try it and keep a close eye on the water temp guage.....I think it would be OK as the X-dimension on the classics is very low to start with.
If you have the low water style pick up.......small holes in the very front of the lower unit bullet..........then you will be OK for sure.