PDA

View Full Version : missing magnet

vanstee
08-17-2004, 08:31 PM
Took my ragazza out for a water skiing outing and all went well until we headed back to the dock. At low speeds I heard a clicking noise. I disengaged the outdrive and it quit. Put it in reverse and it wasn't as noticeable as it is in drive. Finially got time to pull it out of the water to check the fluid in the outdrive. Pulled the bottom plug out and the magnet is missing. Any suggestions where to go from here? I've got a 3.0 OMC with the Cobra outdrive. Thanks! About ready to just :fire: it and feed it to the :alligator 's if there were any in Ohio!

MOP
08-17-2004, 09:30 PM
I have only seen that once before, you need to tear it down. The darn magnet is so hard it chews up the gears, hopefully you caught it early and it will not be to bad.

Phil

vanstee
08-17-2004, 10:14 PM
Not what I wanted to hear. I just had the lower half of the drive redone last year. Isn't the volvo outdrive a direct fit?

MOP
08-17-2004, 10:45 PM
Not what I wanted to hear. I just had the lower half of the drive redone last year. Isn't the volvo outdrive a direct fit?

I was told no when I asked my local mavin, I have looked at it a few times it looks doable but at what cost. In the 4 sale section there was a complete SX shield and all just needed inner plate, it is about a solid a drive as you could ever want, may still be available.

Phil

vanstee
08-17-2004, 11:16 PM
What is an SX and what's an inner shield? I'm pretty mechanically inclined and am not nervous about tearing in to it just not familiar with the terminology.

MOP
08-17-2004, 11:26 PM
The SX is volvos single prop late model drive, the one that was listed was all you would need to do a swap with the exception of the the plate that goes inside. It the inner transom plate it is what the shield bolts through to and is also the steering attaches to it just like your Cobra. Who knows may be that could be adapted using yours! Or you have to go about $200 for new.

Phil

vanstee
08-18-2004, 08:04 PM
Wrong gear ratio...