PDA

View Full Version : Never trust a Ford Mechanic!

MOP
08-16-2004, 11:06 PM
I bet I had more fun tonight than most, I changed the oil and filter am trying 15/50 Rotella this round being a high miler. Then went on to drop the tranny pan and change the filter and oil. Heck I have done it a few dozen times awhile back should be a sanp! Was breezin with a buddy that works a Ford told him what I was up to he said no sweat 1-1/2 hours just remove back mount. That sounded like the past "Bull Dinky", I followed his lead, got the bugger up on ramps and dove into it. Had the thing jacked and pan loose it 30 minutes was sailing, Ha damn rear cross member said N/G it was not letting go of the pan 15 minutes later that was out of the way and finally the pan came down with the usual Woosh of tranny fluid all over hell. This was the first late style tranny I had peered into, was amazed at the wiring servos and plugs. After the usual fanatical cleaning job I slapped the whole thing back together in about 45 minutes, ran the heck out of it on my back roads came was bone dry no leaks. I guess it will make it up to the St. Lawrence!

Phil

rayjay
08-17-2004, 05:45 AM
... Then went on to drop the tranny pan and change the filter and oil. ... and finally the pan came down with the usual Woosh of tranny fluid all over hell. ... Phil

If you change your fluids a lot, which I am sure you do, purchase an aftermarket tranny pan that has a drain hole in it or just add the B & M Drain Plug Kit, $6.50 at Summit (http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=esearch.asp&N=110&Ntk=KeywordSearch&Ntt=trans+pans) . Makes it a whole lot cleaner to drop the fluid without the "usual Woosh of tranny fluid all over hell". Plus you can get a pan that adds another quart or two of trans fluid, which is nice to have for cooling when you tow especially with lock-up converter. :wrench: :rolleyes:

rayjay

MOP
08-17-2004, 06:40 AM
If you change your fluids a lot, which I am sure you do, purchase an aftermarket tranny pan that has a drain hole in it or just add the B & M Drain Plug Kit, $6.50 at Summit (http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=esearch.asp&N=110&Ntk=KeywordSearch&Ntt=trans+pans) . Makes it a whole lot cleaner to drop the fluid without the "usual Woosh of tranny fluid all over hell". Plus you can get a pan that adds another quart or two of trans fluid, which is nice to have for cooling when you tow especially with lock-up converter. :wrench: :rolleyes:

rayjay

Now you tell me about those new fangled pans, I should not have put it off and will farm it out next time. I feel like the Sub feel on me Oh my aching body, to old for that stuff. Good thing I will have a few days to lay around the island before the Donzites invade the place. I am out of here this Friday afternoon heading up to catch the Antique Boat Race Show at Clayton. I still have two days of cranking to get a few more odds and ends done.

Phil

olredalert
08-17-2004, 09:02 AM
-------While Rayjay is right on the money about the drain-plug remember that you arent changing the filter then. As much of a pain in the a-- as it is to drop the pan, I always do as then it gets a new filter as well. Have 170,000 mostly heavy towing miles on my 4L80 and it still works like a Rolex (swiss watch). I also change fluid more often than most and run a gigantic cooler. All the above stuff and a good shift-kit will keep the trans from being pulled from your vehicle for many many miles...........Bill S