PDA

View Full Version : Plum Island River

RvR
08-16-2004, 07:25 PM
I’m heading back up to the north shore of Massachusetts this weekend and have been trying to find information on the navigability of the Plum Island River, the little strip of water that runs up the western shore of Plum Island. I haven’t been up that river in close to 40 years, and although I do remember making it to the northern end of the island I also remember almost getting stuck on the mud flats with the receding tide. Does anyone have and experience running, or not running the river? Is the channel marked?

DoTheMath
08-17-2004, 01:34 PM
RvR~ Nice avatar, is that an 18 Classic? The Merrimack river mouth / waterway prob. hasn't changed much since the last time you were up there. Depending on the tide it can get snotty at the mouth between Plum Island and the mainland, but just check the tide charts and you'll be fine. As for that little river "behind" the island, you can do it in the right boat and at the right tide, again - tide charts are paramount but it can be done.

RvR
08-17-2004, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the info DTM. I ran the Merrimac and out to Rockport earlier this season. I will probably test the waters behind the island this weekend just for fun.

I plead guilty to stealing the avatar, it is one of the harbormaster versions. I think it is an 18 but the closest could find in color to my 16 so… Guess I should take some pics of the 16 and work on my own avatar.